Alcohol Advertising Ban May Be Enforced Next Week

george

The whole idea is ridiculous.. Governments all over the world seem intent on autocratic rule.

No smoking, no drinking,

Whats next? No sex?

The argument that these drugs can be harmful is unquestionable. However, I think I can make my own decisions, I am afterall an adult. Therefore I dont need some nanny state telling me what is good or bad for me.

Its amusingly ironic, I'm more likely to be killed from breathing the air in Bangkok, crossing the

street, or 'slipping' off my balcony than I am from having a few beers.

I can just imagine what these people are like.. sitting around pontificating about the state of society, smoking fine cuban cigars, whilst they select a pretty girl for a soapy. Perhaps they are interesting in hurting those who have a huge financial interest in alcohol sales.. Whats the guys name who owns Beer Chang?

The world is loosing its mind.

good post

we live in a free and democratic society

[ as long as you do what you are told ] :D

oh and don't forget the next craze,

obecity, stop advertising fast food

the governments WILL tell you what is good for you :o

OK, let's dispell a few myths.

1. Advertising liquor long term tends to increase overall sales in liquor. Most market sizing studies not conducted by the liquor industry conclude that advertising is what increases the overall size of the category. Liquor companies have long held that advertising merely causes people to switch brands e.g. the beer girls will make someone choose tiger instead of Singha. But the long term major research of Auckland University and the other studies I am aware of/involved with have concluded that the level of advertising on TV and so on has a positive relationship with overall sales in the category. On a personal level, I can guarantee I tend to drink more when there is a pretty telling me buy 3 bottles and get one free; otherwise I would drink 2 probably, but when the 4th one is free....well I drink the 3rd one too. So while one could say the billboard of Johnnie Walker does not make me want to drink JW, I could say that about anything; that the billboard of most housing estates doesn't make me want to buy a house either. However, IF I am in the market for a house, or in the market for whisky then it may sway my decision, and even studies have shown that repeated exposure to messages and a 'lifestyle' introduced through advertising has been able to persuade people to drink, smoke, own BMWs and all other manner of things. THAT'S WHY THEY ADVERTISE FOR GOD'S SAKE, if it didn't work, they would spend their money on something else. it is an inexact science full of twits and ######s, but it exists for building brands from which to build sales. And that's also why they have to claim worldwide that cigarette and liquor ads only cause brand switching; otherwise it would be admitting that advertising actually increases their total category sales even though there is ample academic research showing this exact point. There is a reason why cigarette companies pay heavily to have characters smoking appear in movies even though the brand is often not visible. There is a reason why there are lines of clothing, magazines and associated items linked to cigarette companies. There is a reason why they are so keen to do anything at all to stay in the public consciousness. And it isn't...to be nice guys telling us not to drive drunk; it is to sell product

2. Advertising does not make anything 'free' by simply advertising alone. Advertising is aimed at selling units of things. For instance, a magazine like BK can be free, because the advertising generates enough sales from people reading it to justify placing the ads, which means that revenue can be used to provide a publication for free which increases the number of people seeing the ad which means that the conversion rate is the same but more people are reached. Therefore, I don't thank advertising for anything. Advertising if done right is a service as it tells me about something I wanted to know e.g. where to buy a mobile phone, the new features of the latest Bentley, the ample benefits of switching long distance operator, the fact that if I drink Chivas that I will be cool and hip - well maybe that is a bit of a stretch. And in return I will choose to waste my $$$ with them; therefore I am owed nothing nor do I owe anything to the responsible advertiser; to the irresponsible untargeted drivel, they are just wasting their time and money trying to ram crud down my and your throats, and again, why should we thank them for that????

3. Ch4CO: you may be 'adult' enough to make your own decisions. Many others are not; minors for example who are taught from an early age that smoking is cool and drinking is mature. Some restrictions on advertising and promotion for both is not unreasonable, and given the inability of many people to control their consumption here in Thailand, it isn't necessarily a bad thing.

4. Ijustwannateach - if you did a study of how this will 'hurt' the economy; I think you would discover that the money that is now not spent on liquor, at least by Thais, may end up being spent on something else. It doesn't just disappear down a hole. K.Charoen might end up slightly poorer, but probably not significantly so. Instead, that money might even end up being invested, wasted on the lottery; someone will win as a result as you say, and the nightlife industry might suffer a bit. As you say...follow the money; in this case I think you'll find that there is a sect of the population who believes that a reliance on getting people drunk and selling sex is not the best course of action for Thailand; as it happens some of those people are in power now. Why it makes no sense to you is beyond me, a bit draconian but there is obvious sense in the belief that advertising works to sell products, and therefore reducing advertising would reduce consumption of a product that doesn't generate much for society other than lagered up louts and a few happy faces. It isn't like the stuff isn't going to be available........... it just will be harder to get hold of.

For those of you who say TIT, bear in mind many other far more advanced countries have found that life got better with less drunk driving and so on by still allowing people to drink (to excess if they wished) but not giving conflicting messages by advertising it to them 24:7. I think the restrictions are a bit excessive, but certainly not unreasonable. Get people to drink less, and they are far more productive and use that money for other things. If consumption reduces, it also means fewer people being late to work, dying on the roads, dancing like idiots and less domestic violence (all correlated to drinking). If consumption doesn't reduce, well suddenly the alcohol companies just managed to add their considerable marketing budget to their bottom line, and can invest in something else like fur sinks or the mighty widget.

Do a full ABC costing including costs of healthcare, injury and roadside damage and I think you'll find cigarettes and alchohol don't do a country too many financial favours.

OK, let's dispell a few myths.

1. Advertising liquor long term tends to increase overall sales in liquor. Most market sizing studies not conducted by the liquor industry conclude that advertising is what increases the overall size of the category. Liquor companies have long held that advertising merely causes people to switch brands e.g. the beer girls will make someone choose tiger instead of Singha. But the long term major research of Auckland University and the other studies I am aware of/involved with have concluded that the level of advertising on TV and so on has a positive relationship with overall sales in the category. On a personal level, I can guarantee I tend to drink more when there is a pretty telling me buy 3 bottles and get one free; otherwise I would drink 2 probably, but when the 4th one is free....well I drink the 3rd one too. So while one could say the billboard of Johnnie Walker does not make me want to drink JW, I could say that about anything; that the billboard of most housing estates doesn't make me want to buy a house either. However, IF I am in the market for a house, or in the market for whisky then it may sway my decision, and even studies have shown that repeated exposure to messages and a 'lifestyle' introduced through advertising has been able to persuade people to drink, smoke, own BMWs and all other manner of things. THAT'S WHY THEY ADVERTISE FOR GOD'S SAKE, if it didn't work, they would spend their money on something else. it is an inexact science full of twits and ######s, but it exists for building brands from which to build sales. And that's also why they have to claim worldwide that cigarette and liquor ads only cause brand switching; otherwise it would be admitting that advertising actually increases their total category sales even though there is ample academic research showing this exact point. There is a reason why cigarette companies pay heavily to have characters smoking appear in movies even though the brand is often not visible. There is a reason why there are lines of clothing, magazines and associated items linked to cigarette companies. There is a reason why they are so keen to do anything at all to stay in the public consciousness. And it isn't...to be nice guys telling us not to drive drunk; it is to sell product

2. Advertising does not make anything 'free' by simply advertising alone. Advertising is aimed at selling units of things. For instance, a magazine like BK can be free, because the advertising generates enough sales from people reading it to justify placing the ads, which means that revenue can be used to provide a publication for free which increases the number of people seeing the ad which means that the conversion rate is the same but more people are reached. Therefore, I don't thank advertising for anything. Advertising if done right is a service as it tells me about something I wanted to know e.g. where to buy a mobile phone, the new features of the latest Bentley, the ample benefits of switching long distance operator, the fact that if I drink Chivas that I will be cool and hip - well maybe that is a bit of a stretch. And in return I will choose to waste my $$$ with them; therefore I am owed nothing nor do I owe anything to the responsible advertiser; to the irresponsible untargeted drivel, they are just wasting their time and money trying to ram crud down my and your throats, and again, why should we thank them for that????

3. Ch4CO: you may be 'adult' enough to make your own decisions. Many others are not; minors for example who are taught from an early age that smoking is cool and drinking is mature. Some restrictions on advertising and promotion for both is not unreasonable, and given the inability of many people to control their consumption here in Thailand, it isn't necessarily a bad thing.

4. Ijustwannateach - if you did a study of how this will 'hurt' the economy; I think you would discover that the money that is now not spent on liquor, at least by Thais, may end up being spent on something else. It doesn't just disappear down a hole. K.Charoen might end up slightly poorer, but probably not significantly so. Instead, that money might even end up being invested, wasted on the lottery; someone will win as a result as you say, and the nightlife industry might suffer a bit. As you say...follow the money; in this case I think you'll find that there is a sect of the population who believes that a reliance on getting people drunk and selling sex is not the best course of action for Thailand; as it happens some of those people are in power now. Why it makes no sense to you is beyond me, a bit draconian but there is obvious sense in the belief that advertising works to sell products, and therefore reducing advertising would reduce consumption of a product that doesn't generate much for society other than lagered up louts and a few happy faces. It isn't like the stuff isn't going to be available........... it just will be harder to get hold of.

For those of you who say TIT, bear in mind many other far more advanced countries have found that life got better with less drunk driving and so on by still allowing people to drink (to excess if they wished) but not giving conflicting messages by advertising it to them 24:7. I think the restrictions are a bit excessive, but certainly not unreasonable. Get people to drink less, and they are far more productive and use that money for other things. If consumption reduces, it also means fewer people being late to work, dying on the roads, dancing like idiots and less domestic violence (all correlated to drinking). If consumption doesn't reduce, well suddenly the alcohol companies just managed to add their considerable marketing budget to their bottom line, and can invest in something else like fur sinks or the mighty widget.

Do a full ABC costing including costs of healthcare, injury and roadside damage and I think you'll find cigarettes and alchohol don't do a country too many financial favours.

I understand what you're saying and actually I agree there should be measures that stop the underage buying alcohol and tobacco. However, young people will always try and experiment, I think its impossible for governments to stop that; thats where education comes in..

I myself am law abiding and feel I should be free to consume alcohol as I wish.. Obviously, not at the detriment of others. Increasingly, and this isnt just about Thailand I notice that governments around the world are interfering in peoples personal lives way too much. Now if you really think that a ban on alcohol advertisement will stop people drinking I think thats a mistaken view. What people should be encouraged to do is drink sensibly.

I believe laws already exist in this country that prohibit the sale of alcohol and tobacco to minors. The problem here is enforcement, until this is addressed I dont think the introduction of new laws and restrictions solves anything.

Touching on your comments about advertisements, I do agree it works and is designed to make people aware, and perhaps purchase more of the product. However, I dont feel zombified into buy excessive amounts Johnny Walker just yet because I can see a big advertisement on Biok tower.

Obviously, it might influence which brand I buy but certainly not how much I drink.. I'm gonna drink some beer.. now if i choose to buy tiger beer because there is a pretty girl rubbing my knee then where is the harm in that?

I just think the world is becoming far too PC. Afterall, what's with everyones obsession of living forever?

There are surely more important things in the world for governments to address than alcohol advertising. I would direct your attention to the state of Africa, Sudan, HIV, etc... Please!

I understand what you're saying and actually I agree there should be measures that stop the underage buying alcohol and tobacco. Increasingly, and this isnt just about Thailand I notice that governments around the world are interfering in peoples personal lives way too much. Now if you really think that a ban on alcohol advertisement will stop people drinking I think thats a mistaken view. What people should be encouraged to do is drink sensibly.

Touching on your comments about advertisements, I do agree it works and is designed to make people aware, and perhaps purchase more of the product. However, I dont feel zombified into buy excessive amounts Johnny Walker just yet because I can see a big advertisement on Biok tower.

Obviously, it might influence which brand I buy but certainly not how much I drink.. I'm gonna drink some beer.. now if i choose to buy tiger beer because there is a pretty girl rubbing my knee then where is the harm in that?

There are surely more important things in the world for governments to address than alcohol advertising. I would direct your attention to the state of Africa, Sudan, HIV, etc... Please!

nice post, and I agree with you; people should have the right to drink, and that's fair enough.

For at least some people the billboards and advertising and product placement will lead them to purchase more overall, enough to justify the liquor company spending on advertising. The 'Pretties' cheering the liquor definitely have the ability to make people both switch brands and drink more (combined with incentives) both here in Thailand and abroad. I've worked in one of the major bars here a few years ago, and seen the numbers comparing what happened when the pretties worked in force; there was a definite increase in sales per table as a result (and this is a place that used to have more than 1000 people going there in a weekend evening). Not advertising will definitely not stop people drinking, but I guarantee it will either reduce the growth rate, or reduce total sales.

Indeed there are more important things for governments and the liquor industry (and cigarette industry) to think about rather than alcohol advertising. I think you'd be blown away how much money gets poured into advertising liquor here in Thailand, it is a massive number. In fact I am right at the moment trying to convince one major liquor company to invest money in a charity project to reduce pollution; better brand image for them and helps everyone in the area involved. Lots of things to do here in Thailand before thinking about Africa :o

I understand what you're saying and actually I agree there should be measures that stop the underage buying alcohol and tobacco. Increasingly, and this isnt just about Thailand I notice that governments around the world are interfering in peoples personal lives way too much. Now if you really think that a ban on alcohol advertisement will stop people drinking I think thats a mistaken view. What people should be encouraged to do is drink sensibly.

nice post, and I agree with you; people should have the right to drink, and that's fair enough.

For at least some people the billboards and advertising and product placement will lead them to purchase more overall, enough to justify the liquor company spending on advertising. The 'Pretties' cheering the liquor definitely have the ability to make people both switch brands and drink more (combined with incentives) both here in Thailand and abroad. I've worked in one of the major bars here a few years ago, and seen the numbers comparing what happened when the pretties worked in force; there was a definite increase in sales per table as a result (and this is a place that used to have more than 1000 people going there in a weekend evening). Not advertising will definitely not stop people drinking, but I guarantee it will either reduce the growth rate, or reduce total sales.

Indeed there are more important things for governments and the liquor industry (and cigarette industry) to think about rather than alcohol advertising. I think you'd be blown away how much money gets poured into advertising liquor here in Thailand, it is a massive number. In fact I am right at the moment trying to convince one major liquor company to invest money in a charity project to reduce pollution; better brand image for them and helps everyone in the area involved. Lots of things to do here in Thailand before thinking about Africa :D

Its funny you talk about advertising.. and this is totally screwed if you ask me: I work at a high school in Bangkok, I am constantly told its one of THE best by the Thai staff and other Thais. Debatable in my opinion.. Anyway, occasionally they have small fairs and exhibitions.. On one occasion the sponsor of the exhibition was 'Chang'.. Chang water that is, but with the same branding as chang beer. I believe the only noticable difference was the colour of the writing, blue rather than green. So there you have it.. alcohol advertisments in a high school. :o

Its funny you talk about advertising.. and this is totally screwed if you ask me: I work at a high school in Bangkok, I am constantly told its one of THE best by the Thai staff and other Thais. Debatable in my opinion.. Anyway, occasionally they have small fairs and exhibitions.. On one occasion the sponsor of the exhibition was 'Chang'.. Chang water that is, but with the same branding as chang beer. I believe the only noticable difference was the colour of the writing, blue rather than green. So there you have it.. alcohol advertisments in a high school. :o

Rather smart isn't it?

Camel Trophy Clothing.

Malboro t shirts.

Chang water.

ALmost on par IMHO with McDonalds and Coke sponsoring any sport event (two of the worst things i can think of for almost any sporting activity).

Yep, advertisers can be nasty people. That's why they need to be regulated, and also because they are usually ######s ;-)

Rather smart isn't it?

Camel Trophy Clothing.

Malboro t shirts.

Chang water.

ALmost on par IMHO with McDonalds and Coke sponsoring any sport event (two of the worst things i can think of for almost any sporting activity).

Yep, advertisers can be nasty people. That's why they need to be regulated, and also because they are usually ######s ;-)

You make a rather pursuasive argument.. :D