Smoke, Smog, Dust 2016-2017 Chiang Mai

Tywais

The water control folks have flooded the klongs in my neck of the woods, not just one but all of them and very heavily also! Hard to believe that's a show of support for Songkran and to keep the people happy, especially since poster Mosha in a separate thread reports winds now coming from the Adnaman side. The Westerly monsoon is in sight, the bad air is about to begone, you heard it here first!

El Niño, one of the strongest recorded, began in November and is tailing off now. Historically following a very strong El Niño a La Niña moves in. That means lower then normal ocean temperatures and usually typhoons and strong rains coming in. So it is possible this rainy season could be an intense one.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like PM10 has only been getting worse in Chiang Mai for 2010-2015 (or measurement has gotten more honest at the Sri Phum intersection):

Kr8y8eD.png

Wish we could have more of those nice days like in August 2014 when pollution was sucked out of the air smile.png

Excellent summary of the situation - we can see that for at least 3 months every year the levels are generally about the international safe level of 50, and if the corn burning in recent years means pm2.5 is a much higher portion of pm10 then that should help people decide whether to move to the region (or stay in it) over those three months.

Soon it will all be forgotten though..............................................until next year

Not quite so I remember my one and only smoke season a decade ago - since than I leave from feb-June and I remember it every year in the comfort zone of a fresh breeze abroad.

It's always amazing to see how the so called "wildfires" disappear if Thais got something else to do like celebrating - so the best would be a call for a 4 month celebration period from feb-may. Let them pray until their ankles are striped from skin.

It's more likely to be a combination of the extreme heat that prevents them from burning plus the knowledge that the rains are imminent - if it aint burned by this point then it waits until next year.

That's a funny thought- they will always find something to burn - wait next week until they are all on a mission again - u still have lots of time to suffer

Looking from Big C, Mae Hia at 10 am this morning the mountain range was missing.

I can't see any weather forecaster web site predicting any rain,apart from the chance of a thunderstorm, for the next 14 days.

Rain, of any consequence, could be weeks away.

Looking from Big C, Mae Hia at 10 am this morning the mountain range was missing.

I can't see any weather forecaster web site predicting any rain,apart from the chance of a thunderstorm, for the next 14 days.

The winds are now very firmly coming from the West and they are building, take a look, the dark purple areas indicate winds over 40kph.

EDIT TO ADD LINK: thumbsup.gif

http://www.windfinder.com/weather-maps/forecast/thailand#5/13.149/101.493

Anecdotally, having lost one tree to high winds two weeks ago we are now early pruning in anticipation, I note that local Thai's are doing same and when asked why they say for the same reason, high winds are on the way.

Hey hey who said the north is due to rain - sure you have all May to enjoy the smoke more or less.

Yesterday, April 15th, was the end of the 60 day burning ban. Today started out bad, and by evening in Mae Rim the air quality has deteriorated to the worst it's been all year. If I had to guess the current PM10, I'd say 250+.

It's more likely to be a combination of the extreme heat that prevents them from burning plus the knowledge that the rains are imminent - if it aint burned by this point then it waits until next year.

That's a funny thought- they will always find something to burn - wait next week until they are all on a mission again - u still have lots of time to suffer

You were right, I was wrong, the air tonight in Mae Rim is thick with smoke although the fire maps aren't conclusive as to the source, the wind maps are however.

No doubt about the fires....Saw one yesterday just north of town on the side of the west mountainous that was smoking for miles. But its a holiday so no firemen probably working? I still have to believe that the amount of filthy construction sites, diesel trucks, buses and motorcycles with no pollution controls spewing out toxic fumes has a lot to do with this. This place is growing so fast with out of control unregulated expansion that it is almost unlivable. I feel quite dumb about my decision to buy something here three years ago that has declined in value 20%. Even now at 3:00am worst reading I have ever seen this year.

I still can't see why the wind which is so often mentioned by you guys should have any effect if the whole north Asia is under fire from India, Burma, Laos, Thailand, China it's one ring of fire - wind or no wind.

Airborne pollution is nothing more than a series of particles that can be carried by the wind, the heavier larger ones, PM10, fall to earth more quickly, the lighter ones, PM2.5 travel further but ultimately they fall to earth also. When the wind is from the North we get airborne pollution from China and Laos, from the North East it comes from Myanmar. But when the winds come from the West that comprises air that has blown across the Bay of Bengal and is pretty much clean air, unless there is significant burning on the Myanmar peninsular that air is likely to be cleaner rather than polluted when blowing into Thailand. Also, the wind currents become important at this time of the year since winds from the West signals the start of the South Westerly Monsoon, the rainy season.

No doubt about the fires....Saw one yesterday just north of town on the side of the west mountainous that was smoking for miles. But its a holiday so no firemen probably working? I still have to believe that the amount of filthy construction sites, diesel trucks, buses and motorcycles with no pollution controls spewing out toxic fumes has a lot to do with this. This place is growing so fast with out of control unregulated expansion that it is almost unlivable. I feel quite dumb about my decision to buy something here three years ago that has declined in value 20%. Even now at 3:00am worst reading I have ever seen this year.

It's really the fires otherwise you had this condition all year around and what u see now is not limited to your location but to the whole north. As for your investment - one should only settle in the north if able to make a 4 month holiday abroad every year.

I still can't see why the wind which is so often mentioned by you guys should have any effect if the whole north Asia is under fire from India, Burma, Laos, Thailand, China it's one ring of fire - wind or no wind.

Airborne pollution is nothing more than a series of particles that can be carried by the wind, the heavier larger ones, PM10, fall to earth more quickly, the lighter ones, PM2.5 travel further but ultimately they fall to earth also. When the wind is from the North we get airborne pollution from China and Laos, from the North East it comes from Myanmar. But when the winds come from the West that comprises air that has blown across the Bay of Bengal and is pretty much clean air, unless there is significant burning on the Myanmar peninsular that air is likely to be cleaner rather than polluted when blowing into Thailand. Also, the wind currents become important at this time of the year since winds from the West signals the start of the South Westerly Monsoon, the rainy season.

Aha! still believe if over thousands of kilometers the area is under a smoke blanket the winds can't do nothing much than shift pollution around with no clean air supply from any direction available. But put your hopes into the wind if this is what gives you strength.

Aha! still believe if over thousands of kilometers the area is under a smoke blanket the winds can't do nothing much than shift pollution around with no clean air supply from any direction available. But put your hopes into the wind if this is what gives you strength.

It's not so much about what gives me strength it's more about scientific fact, airborne pollution doesn't stretch from one foot off the ground right up into the ionosphere, neither does it tend to mass in concentrated forms over large bodies of water. I suggest you study a wind map and play it out over 24 hours or so and see the action of the wind currents and their associated speeds - if you do that you'll see that the winds currently are from the South West, an area where there is no land mass, ergo there is no burning! http://www.windfinder.com/weather-maps/forecast/thailand#5/13.149/101.493

It's not so much about what gives me strength it's more about scientific fact, airborne pollution doesn't stretch from one foot off the ground right up into the ionosphere, neither does it tend to mass in concentrated forms over large bodies of water. I suggest you study a wind map and play it out over 24 hours or so and see the action of the wind currents and their associated speeds - if you do that you'll see that the winds currently are from the South West, an area where there is no land mass, ergo there is no burning! http://www.windfinder.com/weather-maps/forecast/thailand#5/13.149/101.493

And no meaningful difference to the smoke and hazardous pollution in all these months regardless where and how it blows.

And no meaningful difference to the smoke and hazardous pollution in all these months regardless where and how it blows.

There's an excellent chart in post 392 that very clearly shows the massive swings in pollution levels over time, the differences are more than meaningful they are significant.

PM2.5 at extremely dangerous levels - breathe or don't breathe, up to you, but either way you are going to be in trouble sad.png

I think some wind will bring it down 10% or even 30% still it will be hazardous but some say it's an improvement - I think it doesn't matter if somebody got a broken leg in an deadly accident.

Sounds like its an entirely local problem at the moment then, and pity the folk in the area where it next blows to.

Sounds like its an entirely local problem at the moment then, and pity the folk in the area where it next blows to.

Indeed very local just the north of Asia here on Bali it's all crisp blue skies;)

In post 253, poster Vivid put up three related pictures including a satellite picture for the Myanmar coast and western/northern Thailand, the wind maps for that day along with the fire maps for the same area showing where the fires/burning were heaviest.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/879040-smoke-smog-dust-2016-chiang-mai/page-11#entry10540715

What can be clearly seen from those three things is that, despite there being a high density of fires to the West in Myanmar, the air above them is clear as a result of the winds coming off the ocean, the pollution is blown into Thailand.

In post 253, poster Vivid put up three related pictures including a satellite picture for the Myanmar coast and western/northern Thailand, the wind maps for that day along with the fire maps for the same area showing where the fires/burning were heaviest.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/879040-smoke-smog-dust-2016-chiang-mai/page-11#entry10540715

What can be clearly seen from those three things is that, despite there being a high density of fires to the West in Myanmar, the air above them is clear as a result of the winds coming off the ocean, the pollution is blown into Thailand.

And as wind direction changes it is blown into Burma - what is the point?

Archived