Smoke, Smog, Dust 2016-2017 Chiang Mai

Tywais

As I suspected the burning ban did have some positive effect, maybe build on that next season. I know that the farmer whose rice fields surround me didn't do any burning this year plus the local land owner was very cautious about it, despite him being a senior police figure. Similarly neighbours rather oddly decided to obey the law this year and despite the end of the ban, still haven't started to burn again, yet.

If the ban Had at all an effect is questionable if it is 200 or 100 on the scale it stays hazardous to health and I don't hope as you observed as less burning took place that this means they will spread over a longer time and make it even more painful as it takes more and more month to stay away. Education and new farming methods would be a nice approach for a sustainable solution.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Education and new farming methods would be a nice approach for a sustainable solution".

Regrettably for everyone, that takes much time but it is the only real answer, I think, there's just no way in this universe that a sudden drastic move or act by government will reduce the current levels by any meaningful measure.

Nice inside - and don't worry if you stay all year around sure you won't have much time left.

This will probably be the first and last year that I will have the pleasure of having to breathe the 'fresh air' during burning season. The last 3 years I did the same as you, blueyeshk; escaped. Likely that we will move somewhere else before the end of the year because even though I can leave again next year, I don't want my wife to have to suffer through this again. Not really a problem for us because she is from Central Thailand anyway.

Nice inside - and don't worry if you stay all year around sure you won't have much time left.

This will probably be the first and last year that I will have the pleasure of having to breathe the 'fresh air' during burning season. The last 3 years I did the same as you, blueyeshk; escaped. Likely that we will move somewhere else before the end of the year because even though I can leave again next year, I don't want my wife to have to suffer through this again. Not really a problem for us because she is from Central Thailand anyway.

Either this or the temporary escape for some month which have to be extended year after year. It's just not a place where you can choose to live all year around for this reason ,even I am not sad to have a fundamental reason to travel 4-5 month a year abroad , it just doesn't make any sense to settle in the north permanently.

So the 60-day 'burning ban' has been lifted by the Government a few days back....mmm...freezing in Feb., burning(hot) in April.....where's the middle-path?

meanwhile... +18c, clear blue sky in Katmandu....yup, getting used to this.

Its good to see a protest, hopefully it can bring about more viable solutions.

All that this years burning ban has done is extend the hazardous smoke season longer. The peak month of March might have been lower (but still dangerous) and the overall burning season has lasted longer because it started earlier and is finishing later.

Making the north unlivable for longer......not much of a solution.

Its good to see a protest, hopefully it can bring about more viable solutions. All that this years burning ban has done is extend the hazardous smoke season longer. The peak month of March might have been lower (but still dangerous) and the overall burning season has lasted longer because it started earlier and is finishing later. Making the north unlivable for longer......not much of a solution.

The average PM2.5 concentration for Chiang Mai 36t is 77 ug/m3 for nearly 2 months now. For Nan is PM2.5 79 ug/m3 for ~ 2 months.

That is still quite a high figure. In fact it's the same as what Singapore experienced for 2 months last year for its worst haze episode. (was estimated that SG lost usd700 mil in lost revenue in total)

Chiang Mai 73t is estimated to be PM2.5 120 ug/m3 for ~ 2 months (PM10 178 ug/m3)

Do you wait out the smog in Kathmandu? That might be nice.

I wonder how many expats "vacation" in other spots until the smoke clears. Phuket comes to mind immediately.

What about it?

Yes, this year I decided to get out of Thailand for the month of April,intending to escape songkran and the heat. Unfortunately,I will likely be returning to worst air-quality than when I left at the end of March. In past years we (family) have gone to the South which is o.k ,if you can find a quiet spot.

Personally,Im just a bit fed-up and need a change of scenery and air. Nepal is a fine alternative,very lovely place once outside katmandu,finally can do some brisk hiking and get my cardio-pumping. Considering this for the Fam. next year. Nepal seems family friendly and nowhere near as intense as India.

Thai-Air fly direct to Katmandu via BKK.

The sad truth is that even after the rain clears the obvious dust over Chiangmai and makes the air clear, the air over downtown Chiangmai is still toxic. The reason is a large garbage incinerator right next to Central Kad Suan Kaew, in which Suan Dock Hospital burns its hazardous waste and plastics without filtering the smoke. The result is a daily blanket of highly toxic, carcinogenic fumes over large parts of the city. It happens every day. Maybe a way to ensure many cancer patients for years to come... Police, by the way, say that they can't do anything because it's a government hospital; if a private person was to burn garbage downtown, though, they would act right away, they say...

post-236570-0-31654100-1461044150_thumb.

The Suan Dok incinerator has been belching smoke for years, and this area is fairly congested. More often than not the hospital seems to use the incinerator during pre-dawn hours, perhaps to escape detection. It is black putrid smoke.

Demonstration on April 24th at the 3 Kings Monument.

Finally

As if this is some kind of panacea or tipping point!

Make it to one participate.

Expats opinions/protests count for nothing. This is a thai issue for Thais to sort out.

The Suan Dok incinerator has been belching smoke for years, and this area is fairly congested. More often than not the hospital seems to use the incinerator during pre-dawn hours, perhaps to escape detection. It is black putrid smoke.

You in conspiracy mode?

It's almost a hobby on here with some.

I'm as clueless as any farang here, but I'd guess they burn in the wee hours because they are doing their best to allow the toxins to 'blow away' before most people are up and about.

The farmers burn at night too. It helps them see and control rogue flames better, and they do so in the misguided belief that the night sky is somehow more 'open' to releasing the smoke into the upper atmosphere.

Just because 1st world values are practically non-existent as meaningfully enforced policy, does not mean that many educated Thais are not totally fed up and frustrated by the 'mai bpen rai' deal they have to accept.

i was in muang boran city in bangkok two days ago and there was beautiful blue sky smile.png

when i landed at chiang mai yesteday the smoke smog was as

bad as it was when i went to manila two weeks ago sad.png

dave2

Did you go to Manila as a springboard to a final beach location? Because going to MNL to escape the CNX haze is like going to Afghanistan to escape the war in Syria.

Nice comparative pics.

I like the sea, but was never much of a beach lover. Nepal sounds like a creative alternative. As an expat, going the full tourist here just grates. You KNOW you're getting shorn with the rest of the sheeple who fly in with a 'wow' exchange rate and no clue.

I wonder how many expats "vacation" in other spots until the smoke clears. Phuket comes to mind immediately.
What about it?

Yes, this year I decided to get out of Thailand for the month of April,intending to escape songkran and the heat. Unfortunately,I will likely be returning to worst air-quality than when I left at the end of March. In past years we (family) have gone to the South which is o.k ,if you can find a quiet spot.

Personally,Im just a bit fed-up and need a change of scenery and air. Nepal is a fine alternative,very lovely place once outside katmandu,finally can do some brisk hiking and get my cardio-pumping. Considering this for the Fam. next year. Nepal seems family friendly and nowhere near as intense as India.

Yes, by sunrise it's all black smoke, later than less visible until about 3 pm. At times, the smoke blanketing Central Kad Suan Kaew's parking structure causes burning throat and teary eyes but that's of course just the top of the toxic iceberg. If police and/or government agencies are unwilling to stop such an obvious cause of cancer, how could we expect them to go after the many burning fields, burning hills, burning roadsides?

post-236570-0-08901500-1461060042_thumb.

re

Did you go to Manila as a springboard to a final beach location?

nahh .. i went to manila to escape the crazyness of songkran :(

but the 5 year old kids outside every 7 eleven holding out their hands saying one peso .. one peso

and the dozens of mums dads 2 kids a dog and granny living and sleeping on their bit of pavement , park , beach or bit of waste land everywhere

was sad to see every day

the only thing to do in manila is to fly in and straight out

the only nice thing for me was there are lots of cats there

and i had a field day playing with them :)

dave2

ps ... my next ,,, could i live here trip .. instead of thailand when the #### hits the fan

will be to nah trang in vietnam very soon ,,,, lao is out myanmar and cambodia as is malaysia so im getting short of choices now

post-42592-0-46058700-1461063310_thumb.j

post-42592-0-03101100-1461063339_thumb.j

post-42592-0-21347500-1461063361_thumb.j

Good morning, Chiang Mai! Anybody lung cancer today?

There are some smart townhouses in this area where the photo is taken and probably expensive. I would be pissed if I bought one and only then found out this stuff was swirling about. Good of you to post this info. I cycle through these streets as alternative to Huay Kaeow road and was unaware the smoke but I only pass through around late afternoon.

What about it?

Thanks. I've heard good things about Nepal as well.

Archived