Smoke, Smog, Dust 2016-2017 Chiang Mai

Tywais

Dust and Noise,yes but its local, as we have a new house been built next door,

three years now,and still another 6 months the owner says, on the other side

the neighbour,has been banging away,sawing ,drilling,on an extension to his 

house,he's been doing it by himself for a good 6 months now,if he had of gotten

builders in ,2 weeks topps, just when we think theres a light at the end of the

tunnel, regards noise,dust,not been able to get in the house for trucks, the vacant

plot of land in front of our house has finally been sold ,15  years ago it was up

for sale for 4 M THB,over the years the asking price has risen,and it finally sold 

to an Ex Thai Airways pilot for 16 M THB, so the noise,dust,etc looks like its 

going to go on for several more years.and thats without the annual burning.

regards worgeordie            * I dont go crazy over noise,like some people,its part of daily life really,what does piss me off is when the builders park their trucks so I cannot get in or out.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My sympathies Geordie lad.  We've got a guesthouse being built next door but one, they're on to the internal stuff now and I though it might quieten down a bit, and it probably would have if they didn't use angle grinders for everything.  Why do they do that?  I've watched them cutting lengths of wood with an angle grinder.  And they start up at around 7am, not a problem for me because I'm up before then anyway.  You can tell that they are trying to do quietish things until 8 o'clock, but by 7.30 at least one angle grinder is going.  

Still, noise is just part of living in a city, there's always going to be construction going on somewhere; I choose to live in a city so I would be hypocritical if I complained.  

(And on the up side, your rich new neighbour will be getting proper professional builders in to construct his mansion, so it won't be a long drawn out affair.)

18 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Dust and Noise,yes but its local, as we have a new house been built next door,

three years now,and still another 6 months the owner says, on the other side

the neighbour,has been banging away,sawing ,drilling,on an extension to his

house,he's been doing it by himself for a good 6 months now,if he had of gotten

builders in ,2 weeks topps, just when we think theres a light at the end of the

tunnel, regards noise,dust,not been able to get in the house for trucks, the vacant

plot of land in front of our house has finally been sold ,15  years ago it was up

for sale for 4 M THB,over the years the asking price has risen,and it finally sold

to an Ex Thai Airways pilot for 16 M THB, so the noise,dust,etc looks like its

going to go on for several more years.and thats without the annual burning.

regards worgeordie            * I dont go crazy over noise,like some people,its part of daily life really,what does piss me off is when the builders park their trucks so I cannot get in or out.

* i dont go crazy over noise like some people etc etc..*

Your post ^^^^  could have fooled me

its  a  R.E.M. good morning to all:)

4 hours ago, evenstevens said:

* i dont go crazy over noise like some people etc etc..*

Your post ^^^^  could have fooled me

its  a  R.E.M. good morning to all:)

Yes , you dont take much fooling,see your English getting much better too.

regards Worgeordie

Drove up to Chiang Rai this week, and despite the wet conditions there seemed to be a lot of burning in the hills. But the air is nowhere as bad as in the Chiang Mai valley. It just seems to be cars and factories here, but the smoke is staying in the valley.

I only came to look at this thread as I wondered if it was just me who thought the air quality was terrible for this time of year!

16 minutes ago, iainiain101 said:

Drove up to Chiang Rai this week, and despite the wet conditions there seemed to be a lot of burning in the hills. But the air is nowhere as bad as in the Chiang Mai valley. It just seems to be cars and factories here, but the smoke is staying in the valley.

I only came to look at this thread as I wondered if it was just me who thought the air quality was terrible for this time of year!

Yea, me too.

I also notice a gray almost cat like fur as dust all over my room often. Its acts like regular dust but its not just dust. I wonder if I could have it analyzed? Jed Yod area. Is there anywhere to go on this planet where it is clean anymore? I came to Asia in 1999 to work in the Maldives and I remember how clean it was. I went back a few years ago and the beaches were strewn with plastic waste, empty water bottles, millions of them. Here my eyes are watering and constant throat clearing. I guess whats important is the few wealthy people all over the world getting richer and richer, no matter what the cost to our almost gone environment. I wonder what politics keeps them from building local subways and effective light rail mass transportation systems. Would be so simple here; they could start with a small train around the moat area. Oh, I forgot, they need to sell more cars.

Got my condo for sale, but agent said prices are down and 3000 empty places here. Cant deal with it anymore. Lot of nice things here that I like, but there will be no end to this pollution. What really gets me is the diesel trucks that belch out smoke. Why does "My Car" have to pass that emissions test and not all of these? Don't these politicians care about their own health and their families?

• 1 month later...
On December 5, 2559 BE at 8:16 PM, JaseTheBass said:

We've smelled burning for the last 3 or 4 nights now. Only 2 more years of my sentence left before I'm released back to Isaan....

Sent from my R2D2 using my C3P0 manservant

No burning going on in Isaan?

It doesn't get trapped and hang around like it does up here. And there's nowhere near as much burning either.

Sent from my R2D2 using my C3P0 manservant

Guess your memories on isaan are outdated and romantic the smoke hoovers for 3 month all over north Asia from India to Vietnam - surly not excluding isaan with its hazardous pollution levels.

That's it decision made - move for good due to environmental issues the north is definitely nothing I want/can live permanently- as it's now December -May hazardous conditions-bye bye north and with that even Thailand . Good luck to the once who can't leave.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived