Smoke, Smog, Dust 2016-2017 Chiang Mai

Tywais

For those way out of towner's and environmental Debbie-Downer's......Shot from Wat Doi Kham - looking south/west @ around 6pm this evening. Not so bad.....for now.

When leaving we drove right pass a roaring fire,looked like the vendors were burning their days end garbage .....won't even bother with further comments about that.wai2.gif

post-129987-0-39389800-1461933031_thumb.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

May is here and it sounds like the smoke is still very bad in Chiang Mai. Ran into this article which is interesting, but certainly not an indicator of any future change in the thinking there.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/laura-nalin/chiang-mais-smog-problem-_b_9725706.html

For the first time I am running into people who have decided to up stumps and move on.One an American lady at my Doctors said she has 3 children ,2 with asthma, and she can't let them

suffer any longer as she believes nothing will be done .She had hoped that decisive action would have been taken,been in CM 7 years. 2 other couples in our village are on there way as soon as they can sell up.

For some people it is a major problem, not a whine, and the extreme heat has hastened decison making.

May is here and it sounds like the smoke is still very bad in Chiang Mai. Ran into this article which is interesting, but certainly not an indicator of any future change in the thinking there.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/laura-nalin/chiang-mais-smog-problem-_b_9725706.html

For the first time I am running into people who have decided to up stumps and move on.One an American lady at my Doctors said she has 3 children ,2 with asthma, and she can't let them

suffer any longer as she believes nothing will be done .She had hoped that decisive action would have been taken,been in CM 7 years. 2 other couples in our village are on there way as soon as they can sell up.

For some people it is a major problem, not a whine, and the extreme heat has hastened decison making.

Quite different- I know only a few who can't leave the once who can leave at least for a couple of weeks but I hear more and more are going for good which is for sure not solely decided by the hazardous air pollution but also to other reasons like visa , overall development of the kingdom and just the realization that other countries have a lot more to offer.

Today!!! It will not take Long enough To clear the lungs unfortunately . After the last drop they continue on with their passion.

Lets hope it stays down.

Hope like in hope for change ever- hope dies last. Too much realistic to know it already started again. But we can hope for maybe more -a lot more- rain some weeks from now and with it the final relief of this madness until it will start in 8 month or so again.

4 May and PM levels are still not good. Way too many hours and days where the air in CM is unhealthy so trying to escape for a couple of weeks or even a month isn't enough. Only viable answer is to relocate as this problem is not going to go away.

4 May and PM levels are still not good. Way too many hours and days where the air in CM is unhealthy so trying to escape for a couple of weeks or even a month isn't enough. Only viable answer is to relocate as this problem is not going to go away.

I think it's pretty ok and livable if you have an air purifier. The exposure outside @ about 40+ to 50+ ug/m3 is pretty tolerable for 1-6 hrs unless if you are super sensitive.

I am ok with that level, but not for very long. And definitely not for cardio 10km runs etc.

LaTGneX.jpg

So is it safe to come back to Chiang Mai now? And I'm asking people who think the pollution is a problem, not the guys who think it's OK (and liveable as long as you have an air purifier... sorry, I just don't agree!) What's the verdict on the situation? Is it over?

So is it safe to come back to Chiang Mai now? And I'm asking people who think the pollution is a problem, not the guys who think it's OK (and liveable as long as you have an air purifier... sorry, I just don't agree!) What's the verdict on the situation? Is it over?

Watch the weather if it rains for a week at least an hour a day than its time to return with peace in mind - the rain we saw last week was just a weather pattern - nothing will stop them to ignite it again with the last drop fallen only a lot of rain can do this.

no, the air is still not safe. PM 2.5 levels were recorded by US government to be over 130 recently, and I still can see a thick cloud of smog obscuring my view of the mountains. Its causing asthma in me and my wife who normally do not have symptoms, perhaps because this burning season is lasting for a long time...

no, the air is still not safe. PM 2.5 levels were recorded by US government to be over 130 recently, and I still can see a thick cloud of smog obscuring my view of the mountains. Its causing asthma in me and my wife who normally do not have symptoms, perhaps because this burning season is lasting for a long time...

My guess is that this duration will become the new normal- so if you not already it's time to move on the north is now only good a certain time as a holiday destination but unsuitable and harmful to consider it more.

No its not safe, as PM2.5 levels are still at least double sometimes triple the international safe level.

Be interesting to see a fire map to see where its coming from (surely the Thai's have burnt all they can by now?)

Below is since Friday. It hasn't hit PM10 or PM2.5 130 since April 22.

attachicon.gifCapture.JPG

24 hour AQI calculations for PM2.5

attachicon.gifaqi.jpg

Well if at all I go with the us consulate announcement on this matter

https://www.facebook.com/chiangmai.usconsulate/posts/10156878723975274

Which suggest otherwise. However visual check out of the window , live reports of my friends, using its own senses is the most trustful to go with for me. Numbers are just numbers can be right- highly unlikely they are. Living quality will not be fixed by numbers.

No its not safe, as PM2.5 levels are still at least double sometimes triple the international safe level.

Be interesting to see a fire map to see where its coming from (surely the Thai's have burnt all they can by now?)

Lol show me a pyromaniac Asian - not limited to Thais-who runs out of reason and material to full fill their passion.

post-566-0-56109400-1462691542_thumb.jpg

Below is since Friday. It hasn't hit PM10 or PM2.5 130 since April 22.

attachicon.gifCapture.JPG

24 hour AQI calculations for PM2.5

attachicon.gifaqi.jpg

Well if at all I go with the us consulate announcement on this matter

https://www.facebook.com/chiangmai.usconsulate/posts/10156878723975274

Which suggest otherwise. However visual check out of the window , live reports of my friends, using its own senses is the most trustful to go with for me. Numbers are just numbers can be right- highly unlikely they are. Living quality will not be fixed by numbers.

That report was May 6th as the consulate is closed for the holidays. I use the exact same data and calculator they do but using the most current 24 hour data. The 136 reported is not the PM levels but the AQI. The PM2.5 levels from your link was 49.94 ug/m3 on May 6th so out of date.

attachicon.gifFIREMAP.JPG

Thanks >> looks like they are still finding plenty to burn

Archived