New Thai alcohol laws come into effect from January

webfact

New Thai alcohol laws come into effect from January
BY LARRY BANKS

Thai-Alcohol-Laws.jpg?resize=702%2C336
New laws governing the sale of alcohol in Thailand take effect from 1 Jan.

BANGKOK: -- In Thailand, companies selling alcohol, such as wine shops and beer merchants, will no longer be able to continue selling alcohol in some parts of the country from January the 1st 2016.

Due to a ban on the sale of alcohol within 300 metres of schools or temples, many companies face going out of business or forced to relocate come the New Year. Such firms that resist the changes and push their luck may find that they could fall foul of the upcoming changes.

One such establishment in popular resort town of Hua Hin is Mondo Vino, a popular wine seller that is having to adhere to the new rules. Peter Kirketerp, Director of Mondo Vino said recently:
You may have noted, that stock levels have been very limited in the last few months as we have had notice of the new Law for some time already and worked with this knowledge to reduce stock, and therefore, we will now curtail normal operation of Mondo Vino effective as from today including retail and whole sale business.

The new ban will prohibit the sale of alcoholic drinks within 300 metres of any school, and will apply to grocery stores and convenience stores, but not wholesale facilities, according to an article in the Bangkok Post earlier this year.

Full story: http://ethailand.com/business-news/new-thai-alcohol-sale-laws/736/

-- eThailand 2015-12-17

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Such a wonderfully planned law (not), that was absolutely unnecessary, and destroys business.

A simple "CHECK ID CARDS" campaign is all that was needed, as in enforcing existing laws.

And they wonder why some folks call them a backwards country.

I guess common sense truly is the most uncommon kind.

Edited by jaywalker

It is of course complete nonsense. But with the schools I understand the argument, even it is wrong.

But why temple? Because the monks sneak out and buy a beer? Wouldn't they be old enough already to decide?

Is there any official map of Bangkok,
with proportional 300m circles around each school, so you can see where you even still can buy Alcohol.
The whole may well be quite problematic.
Maybe there are exceptions.

Of course could even be a nice source of income for certain uniformed persons.

I feel sorry for the small ma & pa shops that have been operating for years just to be told now that with this new law they are basically going to lose their livelihood. Absolutely no use of brains from the people in BKK. Just as Jaywalker mentioned, a simple use of the existing ID checking law and there would be no need for this complete retarded action from the powers that be.

It’s not yet certain whether establishments such as bars located near temples across Thailand will be forced to close from January, or whether the rules include a degree of flexbility.

I'm absolutely sure, your friendly neighbourhood policeman can advice you how flexible they can be wink.png

Edited by JoeLing

I feel sorry for the small ma & pa shops that have been operating for years just to be told now that with this new law they are basically going to lose their livelihood. Absolutely no use of brains from the people in BKK. Just as Jaywalker mentioned, a simple use of the existing ID checking law and there would be no need for this complete retarded action from the powers that be.

I guess they'll continue sell alcohol like they do on elections, buddhist non alcohol days and outside the hours.....

These are just a fraction of the existing schools.

But this is an impression of the problem for many businesses.

This map shows most of the city will be off limits

I don't think that's feasible so I guess there will be a workaround shortly after the initial Crackdown

Probably just a bit more more cash for the Bib.... And the price of alcohol might cost a few baht more per bag in the banned zones....

I don't think it's enforceable tbh

What about powerful alcohol owning families like Chang and Singh? I guess they won't appreciate their profits being slashed so this government will not last long pissing off some the richest families in the land.....

Rules like this might make an election happen sooner than anticipated...

1 cm about 1 km
The yellow dot corresponds to 300 meters radius around a school.
I punctured just a few.
Guess if somebody make such a map conscientiously, is likely to be in all of Bangkok is no more alcohol for sale in those shops.

I will spare me here to comment on the usefulness of this law act.

post-151287-0-61051200-1450345601_thumb.

Edited by tomacht8

And yet another knee-jerk law that will do nothing - NOTHING! - to restrict alcohol sales to minors. How about enforcing ID checks instead? Is that too simple, perhaps?

And those poor kids and monks... the only thing that'll slightly inconvenience them now is they'll have to walk (or rather, drive) a little further to get their daily booze. Look at the bright side, though: They'll become fitter than ever.