child returning to Thailand with expired passport?

Yes, at least in principle. See, for example http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/877962-expired-uk-passport/ .

It would be best if he had some recent form of ID. For example, if he had a valid UK passport, if the worst came to the worst, he could enter Thailand as a British citizen and get annual extensions of leave as a Thai citizen from Immigration until he was able to fly to Thailand on a current Thai passport.

This thread really belongs in http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/forum/1-thai-visas-residency-and-work-permits/ , where you may find other related topics. Add 'Samran' to any google searches; he has provided a lot of useful information on this general topic.

He can enter Thailand on an expired Thai Passport (although the Airline may question this at check-in, it is a fact) however he will need a valid British Passport to exit U.K..

How old is he? Non of my business of course but he will have much better educational and employment opportunities in the UK rather than Thailand.

Patrick

He can enter Thailand on an expired Thai Passport (although the Airline may question this at check-in, it is a fact) however he will need a valid British Passport to exit U.K..

How old is he? Non of my business of course but he will have much better educational and employment opportunities in the UK rather than Thailand.

Patrick

Check the sons passport on exiting uk? Not based on my recent experience.

I flew to the UK last month for only the second time in 40 years and I entered on my UK passport. When I left the UK there wasn't any passport check at all. I went through security after scanning my boarding pass and that was it. I was sat in the lounge and realised that my passport had never been checked, went back to security to see whether I had accidentally missed immigration and was told they don't check passports anymore on exit. Pretty lax I thought and the first time I can ever remember not having to pass an immigration line when leaving a country.

What makes you believe he will need a valid passport to exit the UK? I don't dispute that it would be better to have one. We have a very recent report of a young girl flying from the UK to Thailand with her family although she only had expired Thai and British passports and one or more birth certificates. (I linked to the report a few posts above.)

Patrick

" he will have much better educational and employment opportunities in the UK"

Debatable since we know nothing of his circumstances here or there. He could very well be experiencing racist harassment in the schools and feel lonely for mom and family here. In any event, he already wants to get out of UK, so why would he want to remain there for a lifetime in employment ... probably just waiting for the day he can retire in Thailand along with all the other Brits so eager to get away to some place else?

Thai nationals can even fly on THAI airways with an expired passport.

Your wife will not have any problems to travel with her passport.

Kind regards

Reservations

THAI AIRWAYS INTERNATIONAL

41 Albemarle Street, London W1S 4BF, UK

◘ T: +44 (0) 330 400 4022 ◘ F: +44 (0) 20 7409 1463 ◘ S: LONHFTG ◘ E: [email protected]

www.thaiairways.co.uk