Work on Phuket’s Chalong underpass begins

webfact

How about just getting the drainage done they are doing right now, opposite Home Pro, & restore the section to nice level surface which is patently not being done with all the other drain works along Chao Fa West. I suppose the contractor who does the drains is not responsible for repairing the road back to a good condition.

Going from Kata to Phuket town. Is there a way to avoid this place. Some detour that is easy to find if you'r not use to drive in the area? Thanks for suggestions.

Don't worry about avoiding the Circle. It's not too bad when the police aren't trying to control the traffic. The so-called shortcut often takes longer as the road is narrow and there's usually some inconsiderate sod who parks his car there.

chaofa east is always the fastest way. You can turn left to wiset(just make sure you stay on the left coming up to there and if theres parked car, still go left and cut in front of those that wont let you, just keep your left signal on and push in aggressively. Then you can turn after the school and that empty road brings you to the end of patak chalong

How is that a shortcut? When people try to cross over on patak, will anyone let them? People are usualy in a hurry to block anyone crossing so that they can break hard behind the stopped cars a few meters ahead

Quite busy these days and there are quite a number of speed bumps all along the route. And getting out at each end is a challenge.

I prefer just to go straight on the circle. Usually quicker than the short cut.

chaofa east is always the fastest way. You can turn left to wiset(just make sure you stay on the left coming up to there and if theres parked car, still go left and cut in front of those that wont let you, just keep your left signal on and push in aggressively. Then you can turn after the school and that empty road brings you to the end of patak chalong

Now I'm totally confused!

road 3025

Chaofa east is very fast close to the circle compared to the other streets

3025 is empty and cuts right at the end of chalong's patak, close to kata.

Yes, but Chaofa East does not work from Kata to Phuket Town, which was the question here.

How is that a shortcut? When people try to cross over on patak, will anyone let them? People are usualy in a hurry to block anyone crossing so that they can break hard behind the stopped cars a few meters ahead

Quite busy these days and there are quite a number of speed bumps all along the route. And getting out at each end is a challenge.

I prefer just to go straight on the circle. Usually quicker than the short cut.

You are right, for the time being it is smooth coming from Kata and will be in case they start the real digging. Then the real fun starts for those coming from the south as there is NO deviation possible now, except go via Patong or waiting to pass the circle. Better take a snack and something to drink, I fear the worse.

But as usual they will say that they have a plan.

Once the construction is in full force it will effect traffic everywhere from Rawai to the ongoing construction at Tesco. It is not limited to Kata or Phuket town, if you dont live there and drive that route, you cant understand. Its bad enough during mornings and evenings without construction. The completed one at the mall didnt do anything but funnel all he traffic in small existing roads. Unless the road is widened everywhere, the underpasses are mute points and do nothing.

Once the construction is in full force it will effect traffic everywhere from Rawai to the ongoing construction at Tesco. It is not limited to Kata or Phuket town, if you dont live there and drive that route, you cant understand. Its bad enough during mornings and evenings without construction. The completed one at the mall didnt do anything but funnel all he traffic in small existing roads. Unless the road is widened everywhere, the underpasses are mute points and do nothing.

the real choke point is that damn intersection at the weekend market. The lights are senseless and the cutting from the right lane into the left lane 3 cars from the light are making it impossible to regulate traffic decently. The same intersection on the east side is quite crazy as well.

The rest of the chaofas is somewhat fine as long as the police isnt playing with the lights

I fail to see an advantage in this project, there is a simply a shortage of room... The province should have done a real estate buy back to build a bypass, or to enlarge the circle and offshoots.

Does anyone have a picture/ schematic of what the final outcome of this clustermuck will be?

What the government here is doing is insane. More and wider roads will never solve neither traffic congestions or accidents. Great traffic flow is only achievable with good training and discipline of drivers so that everyone to any time know what to expect from other drivers plus knock in a 360 degree u/turn in attitude towards fellow road users.

Edited by Felt 35

Btw, come in again this morning on Thephkasatri road and could see that they now have started digging in the middle portion of the road approximately 4-500m North of Boat lagoon. Is it there the underpass shall start when going South or is this a new project?

Btw, come in again this morning on Thephkasatri road and could see that they now have started digging in the middle portion of the road approximately 4-500m North of Boat lagoon. Is it there the underpass shall start when going South or is this a new project?

This is separate project....

This is separate project....

I think that is the starting point of the underpass there.

What the government here is doing is insane. More and wider roads will never solve neither traffic congestions or accidents. Great traffic flow is only achievable with good training and discipline of drivers so that everyone to any time know what to expect from other drivers plus knock in a 360 degree u/turn in attitude towards fellow road users.

So you don't want a change in attitude towards fellow rd users....

So you don't want a change in attitude towards fellow rd users....

I stand corrected ....180 degree

All this talk about the shortcut from West to Patack & how it is blocked off so cannot turn right to get into it. However, there is a "shortcut" to the shortcut about 100m further back. This morning it too was blocked off by about 5m so there was a long line of cars on the wrong side of the road waiting to turn. How much more shambolic is this debacle going to get? I think a lot more. Perhaps the Deputy PM, VG & Ombudsman need to visit there as well & pronounce how smoothly things are going on Phuket.

Edited by Valentine

All this talk about the shortcut from West to Patack & how it is blocked off so cannot turn right to get into it. However, there is a "shortcut" to the shortcut about 100m further back. This morning it too was blocked off by about 5m so there was a long line of cars on the wrong side of the road waiting to turn. How much more shambolic is this debacle going to get? I think a lot more. Perhaps the Deputy PM, VG & Ombudsman need to visit there as well & pronounce how smoothly things are going on Phuket.

I was going to use the shortcut to the shortcut this morning but that was blocked by an accident just after 8:00. Possibly no coincidence as impatient drivers can be dangerous drivers.

Great idea!

She'll be right... Get everybody down there about one pm, when the circle is running very nicely, thank you very much, aren't we so bloody clever!

Take the happy snaps with lots of finger pointing and back slapping... Hurry now, the kids get outta school soon... And away they go with a major PR coup for the newspapers to chatter about

It really makes me wonder... Other countries use portable trailer mounted flashing arrow lights and stop/ go lights ..... But you don't even have to get that technical.... Simply nail a stop / go tin sign on a stick and give it to a bloke with half a brain, and there you go... Half the jobs done

Oh... That's right, silly me, we're in Thailand.... Major road re destruction jobs starting in high season, and all