Animosity from Thai Teachers

ev1lchris

When I was growing up we held teachers to a higher standard just because of the fact they were teachers. After reading the bigoted and racist comments on this thread, its obvious some of you dont deserve the title of teacher. You should change your profession and quit living the lie you are. Actually sickening comments.

Wow....because we can be critical and desire improvement in the system we work in ?

And BTW...the great irony is in a society where everyone talks about respect for teachers (the kids are taught from an early age to Wai teachers), lack of respect for teachers in the classroom is one of the biggest problems here. kids are coddled, not allowed to fail, and there are really no consequences for bad behavior or performance in school in Thailand.

And pray tell, what society did you grow up in where teachers were held to a higher standard ? Certainly not in the USA, UK, or Europe I'm afraid.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For some reason walking off the job seems to be a problem in Thailand.

That's because, both agencies and schools, can't be trusted to pay as agreed if you give a proper notice. The teacher is left with two choices:

1. Give a notice, as required by contract or just common decency, and risk a month's wages...

2. Just leave after getting her salary, at the end of said month. Ignore calls and messages, get out of the country and get a new tourist VISA, and enter again(or go back where you came from).

It's all about lies once again. Lies and business decisions. It's once again not like you actually have recourse via the courts, and besides that, who wants to sue for their earned wages in such a circumstance?

If I have a work permit is there a good chance of them paying me my last month?

The way I see it, if they are still working on the permit and I decide to jet I should because it's less risky.

If I have a work permit is there a good chance of them paying me my last month?

The way I see it, if they are still working on the permit and I decide to jet I should because it's less risky.

Not sure what your inquiry is. If you have a work permit, it will most likely be tied to an employment contract, which does indeed help you get paid, or at least, it can only help. Most schools do pay their workers. It's when you quit with or without notice we were discussing.

If you are working while they "work" on the work permit, things are different. It does't take all that long to apply for a work permit. Get the documents together, apply for the work permit, done. However, if there is some sort of probation period well that works both ways. They can fire you without notice, and you can walk without notice head held high. Walk after getting paid was the advice I was giving, especially in a circumstance where you don't have an employment contract and are in the probation period. If you are working through an "agency" you have absolutely no reason to worry about a notice when said agency hasn't arranged anything other than good talk. Agencies aka someone with a mobile phone, are well known for not paying teachers as agreed and/or on time. It's not a professional relationship.

"My coworkers and I laughed it off."

This shows your attitude towards Thailand in general. Anyone who has been here longer than a day knows that the Thai Royal family are highly revered and worthy of respect. For you and your colleagues to decide you are above dragging your sorry @rses out of bed like the other teachers simply proves you have no respect for the school's request, for Thai culture or for the monarchy. As such, I'd say any animosity, real or imagined, has nothing to do with you receiving a higher wage, but more to do with your attitude which is quite frankly, lacking.

I agree that the Thais have an incentive to be there at 6am, but an NES teacher does not. There is no reason to show up at 6am unless you see some sort of benefit. If I was working for an International School making 100K+ THB/ month, sure, I'd show up at 6am with a smile on my face. Making 25k THB/ month at a Thai public school, I'd probably sleep in and show up for my classes. Respect is a two way street, but in Thailand, they have one lane blocked

You get paid what is decided by market forces, not just for being white skinned or NES.

Teachers at the International Schools have proper degrees from top universities, excellent extra-curricular qualifications in sports, music or arts and come from happy cohesive family backgrounds and are very good role models for students. Not too many of them around, so they can demand and get good money.

Teachers in local schools in the provinces are mostly with dodgy questionable credentials, no genuine interest in teaching children, probably just drifted here after breaking up with their families and take up teaching as they cannot find other work. Plenty of them around, they will be out of a job if they demand more.

This is a general observation and there may be exceptions on both sides. But your earnings should have no influence on respecting local traditions.

"Teachers at the International Schools have proper degrees from top universities, excellent extra-curricular qualifications in sports, music or arts and come from happy cohesive family backgrounds and are very good role models for students."

That's so funny. I have seen 2 international schools up close and in both cases the majority of teachers were chronic drunks, often coming to work hung over or high. The primary principle and her friends going to get high every lunch break, several teachers commonly passed out and sleeping in the street on the weekends. Male teachers sexually harassing the Thai service staff. Generally racists and petty little ass-kissers whose only real qualification was a minimal degree and the ability to suck up to the principle. There is no promise that "international school teachers" are so much better...but they do make the news more often, when deported for child molesting.

You say you are tired of the Thai system.

Maybe the other teachers have a reason for not liking you.

From your attitude towards Thais they have good reason.

Go elsewhere you are only spoiling things for good teachers. Bye bye.

How original. You are well liked by all, aren't you? You are good, the OP is bad - problem solved?

Well, there are Thai teachers with a chip off their shoulders. One had endless tales to tell about getting ripped off by a Nigerian she befriended. (He made her pay for stuff etc.). Then there are some bitter older women who like to hate. Perhaps some are projecting a past experience onto some other foreigner? (I have witnessed midnight runners' behavior and they did all others no favours).

It's human nature to dislike some people. @Colinneil, you do like all Thai teachers back?

When I was growing up we held teachers to a higher standard just because of the fact they were teachers. After reading the bigoted and racist comments on this thread, its obvious some of you dont deserve the title of teacher. You should change your profession and quit living the lie you are. Actually sickening comments.

Maybe you didn't know your teachers as well as you thought you did. It's my understanding most of em do it for summers off.

OP, I see your point. There's kinda a chicken or the egg thing going on at these schools. Did you somehow offend the Thai teachers or do they have some bitter attitude that rubbed you the wrong way and turned you into a prick? For me, it's always been the latter. Government schools are conservative environments. The old teachers and directors tend to have traditionally negative views of foreigners. Ive had younger Thai teachers admit they cant be friendly to me on campus for fear of what older teachers will say about them. There are absolutely some bad, disrespectful, foreign teachers too. Who knows how many of em quit with no notice or tried to (or did) sleep with one of the M6 girls before you arrived. This is why- believe it or not- I kinda prefer agencies. If you can find one with foreign management, theyll usually protect you a bit. But you lose your paid holidays. Maybe try a private.

I use an agency that's pretty much run by an American. If an agency has no western staff then I avoid them.

You may think it is run by an American but if the agency has contracts with Thai government schools for teachers, there is very, very likely a Thai ownership wheeling and dealing with the school director behind the scenes. School directors will not readily do business with foreign owned agencies.

Edited by tonray

Just play along with the game, get along with the Thai teachers, it isn't difficult

For the most part we get along splendidly.

However there's always a handful that are really bitter and rude to foreign teachers. I experience that at almost every school.

Sounds like life in general to me.