Animosity from Thai Teachers

ev1lchris

Supreme monarch, you sir are clueless. I assure you the supreme monarch is quite alive. This is perhaps part of your issue.

At my school, we were specifically requested to wear black. Two teachers of nearly twenty did this - if you count a rugby shirt not tucked into ones pants conformity. Of course, these will be the same dolts that will whinge on about their treatment by the Thai castigators.

It galls me to be tarred with the same brush, I do try and largely suceeed. It's the true haters that annoy the hell out if me.

Truth to tell, I dislike 85% of all the teachers I've met here so I harbor sympathy.

Disorganized, disintetested, lazy, old, tired did I say OLD? Economic flotsam, gay refugees with a mountain of issues and they plain old sex-tourist. Edumacation clowns, and education frauds.

The reason Thai education is in the toilet is not us, we are but a tiny powerless cog, its the administration and the teachers. The old crones, the incompetent and uncaring, etc... How soul crushing it must be to continue day in day out knowing you are a failure, but unwilling to challenge your administration or being so old and worn out you have not interest in changing your own lessons.

Come what may, I soldier on. Make the change I can in class and piss and moan to the HoD and admin.

But back to the point, yeah, I'm kinda hatin' on so many of you because you are so socially and vocationally ill equipped to work here. I live it daily, so do the Thai.

Now pull up your pants and lets put on some music and play games...

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love the complaining...

less energy on helping......less energy on saving the kids.... less energy on being positive...

this is why the teaching system fails!!!!!!

to complain in private is one thing, but on a forum???

thanks for coming to thailand and hurting relations with the farang@!!@@@@@

but then again, any farang that must work for peanuts and cannot get a great job at home isn't really the "cream of the crop".

basically outcasts, poor, uneducated losers who have nowhere to go.

ah......whatever.......my kids will never go to these "schools"!!!!

Edited by puukao

Simply, the work ethic amongst Thai and Foreign teachers is often a long way from compatible. It does not matter who is right and who is wrong, it will lead to bad feeling.

Accept it or move on.

Exactly that. You can suggest your thoughts ( and they will be rejected). You do as you think ( and you will be rejected).

Comply with cultural/social norms as and where possible/practicle and do your job as paid for... then you will maybe get begrudging acceptance.

Thailand does not have a "work ethic" as westerners percieve it.

It has catagories of " wai" status with variations of percieved status and actual status. Which to display or assume to have also varies upon the social environment at any particular time. To learn that is a perfect test of a real " teacher."

Ignore it..... and continue.....then you will be a lecturer"" with a deaf audience.wai2.gif

Lots of trolls here.

I'm going to do my job as I see fit. I'm not a doormat like Thai workers. They can feel free to fire me or not renew me.

There are many inefficiencies within the Thai system. Telling your teachers they have to be in before dawn on less than 24 hour notice is one of them.

First of all, I'm not white.

Information about the road closure was given at the last minute. There was no notice. Not to mention the bts doesn't even start until 6 am.

Criticize me for not going in before 6 but this was poor planning on the school's part. Besides, I don't want to be treated like a slave like many Thais are.

It's okay about not having my contract extended. The Thai system is not competently run. I can take it or leave it.

judging from your previous posts, there are other reasons for not liking you - sorry for stating that.

Just play along with the game, get along with the Thai teachers, it isn't difficult

For the most part we get along splendidly.

However there's always a handful that are really bitter and rude to foreign teachers. I experience that at almost every school.

Don't see it now, but someone mentioned an "Attendance Bonus" and "HR" aka human relations aka personal department?

I've never seen nor heard of a "bonus" for coming to school on time, not being absent, basically doing a good job in the classroom, and/or getting good reviews from the students. If anything, and quite surprisingly, the reverse is true....the worst of the "bad" at these normally expected things in a western culture or working at a 7/11 i.e. coming on time and doing your job, the worst aka those who are habitually late and absent full of excuses most often playing the "children" card are rewarded and admired by the Thai "management".

The concept of a HR department is also a mystery to me. I've never heard of such a thing in a Thai school, and I mean both for Thai employees and/or foreigners. Everything was always managed by "who we like", not accomplishments documented and preserved.

Can whomever stated there are bonuses to be earned for being a normal to good teacher behavior wise please expand on this? I don't mean simply an offer of a new contract, I mean financial incentives. Kind regards.

Always found the Filipinos to have animosity to western teachers at the school I worked at. Always complaining how we got more money than them and how they couldn't be racist as they weren't white.

Are you being sarcastic?

Being "white", you are in fact a victim of racism in a Thai school. The Filipino's if anything, have an advantage as the Thai's can't be racist towards them. The Thai's of course have other ways to discriminate against the Filipinos, but not because of race.

One of the best or most insightful experiences you gain working in a Thai Government School is being said victim of racism and in addition, discrimination. You don't really know how it feels until you have in fact suffered as a result of it. As I say, very insightful and you actually learn from it and won't ever IMHO want to bestow this on another human being.

Merry Christmas

My contract states that I start at 8 a.m.,

I've never seen, nor heard of, a contract with a Thai School which states this. So, if we take your word for it, can you please elaborate on what else it says in regards to:

1. Remaining on campus all day, class or no class.

2. What time you can leave the school campus.

3. Sick and personal days, who keeps the records and what is your responsibility in this regard?

I seriously doubt most teachers want contracts which state they must come on days the students are absent etc.. Careful what you ask for, and if you are going to stand by your "8am" comment, please do tell us all. Thank you and Happy Holidays

I am a dedicated and experienced teacher, my students like my classes, but I still get a sour bitter attitude from many of my thai colleagues. why? because I dare make a suggestion about how to do something.

and it doesn't matter how diplomatic or accurate the suggestion is.....

and if you do any traveling around thialand and read hotel reviews from tourists, you will find a lot of comments about the unfriendliness of the reception....and how often the hotel tries to scam them for more money....

and if you read the news headlines from this website, it seems that thais are beating, robbing and killing a lot of foreigners....

and recently WHO revealed that Thailand has some of the most dangerous roads in the world

and, if you look at other hard scientific data you will discover that the land of smiles has a higher homicide rate than the craziest country on the planet (usa).

and if you look at the legal system...well.....I think my point is clear by now...

I don't know why thai people are so proud of their country ...honestly....they didn't make the mountains and skies or lakes and beaches...what they did make is patayya

I've never seen, nor heard of, a contract with a Thai School which states this.

You've never seen a contract that states the time an employee must arrive at work?

As for your fishing expedition for more information, I'm not going to bite. Last time I renewed my contract, I negotiated quite a few things you've probably never seen before, but are not relevant to the he discussion.

Contracts are personal, and can be different from one teacher to the next. That's why each employee has their own instead of one umbrella contract that applies the same rules to all employees (i.e. a collective bargaining agreement).

Always found the Filipinos to have animosity to western teachers at the school I worked at. Always complaining how we got more money than them and how they couldn't be racist as they weren't white.

Are you being sarcastic?

Nah. Was said to me and other western teachers in the staff room by one particularly obnoxious Filipino.

Are you being sarcastic?

Being "white", you are in fact a victim of racism in a Thai school. The Filipino's if anything, have an advantage as the Thai's can't be racist towards them. The Thai's of course have other ways to discriminate against the Filipinos, but not because of race.

One of the best or most insightful experiences you gain working in a Thai Government School is being said victim of racism and in addition, discrimination. You don't really know how it feels until you have in fact suffered as a result of it. As I say, very insightful and you actually learn from it and won't ever IMHO want to bestow this on another human being.

Merry Christmas

why cannot Thais be racist towards Filipinos ?

They are of a different race, culture, and religion ?

Perhaps you think Thai people and Filipinos are the same ?

Thais are racist toward other Thais with darker skin tones and different backgrounds...how Filipinos avoid this must be magic I have not heard about.

I've never seen, nor heard of, a contract with a Thai School which states this.

You've never seen a contract that states the time an employee must arrive at work?

As for your fishing expedition for more information, I'm not going to bite. Last time I renewed my contract, I negotiated quite a few things you've probably never seen before, but are not relevant to the he discussion.

Contracts are personal, and can be different from one teacher to the next. That's why each employee has their own instead of one umbrella contract that applies the same rules to all employees (i.e. a collective bargaining agreement).

Again, you are suggesting things exist which nobody else I know has heard of, seen, or experienced. I guess it's believable however not by me in the cases of Government Schools in Thailand. All contracts are standard that I've seen. Period, full stop. I seriously doubt one teacher such as yourself, no matter how good a teacher you are or are perceived to be, is going to get special conditions in writing in a contract. Let's stick with the one issue, that of leaving campus. Why won't you tell us if you are allowed by contract to leave early or be absent when there are in fact no classes but school is open? Seems an innocent question yet you decline to answer? Why decline to answer? None of my business? Fair enough if that's your position, but I simply don't believe your 8 AM remark being in writing if nothing about when you can leave. No argument, you can fool most on here, just not all. No big deal. Use caution teachers when making demands such as this member indicates are met in writing. He/She may be on some mission vs reality. Happy Holidays

Let's stick with the one issue, that of leaving campus. Why won't you tell us if you are allowed by contract to leave early or be absent when there are in fact no classes but school is open? Seems an innocent question yet you decline to answer? Why decline to answer?

Because it's not relevant to the thread topic.

I work at a private school. I can assure you that if you put all the foreign teacher's contracts aide-by-side, there will be some differences. Surely you'll agree that salaries and number of teaching hours might be different from one teacher to the next, so why can't other things be different too? Just because you personally can't imagine something to be so, doesn't mean that it's not so. That's an appeal to personal incredulity.

If they want me to continue working there, I need to agree to their terms and they need to agree to some of mine. That's the whole purpose of the contract negotiation meeting.

Disorganized, disintetested, lazy, old, tired did I say OLD

Disorganized, disintetested, lazy, and tired are all negative points to describe any employee, but please do not use 'old' in a negative manner. Some of us 'old' teachers could knock the socks off many younger teachers, both in terms of educational/teaching knowledge and physical activity :)

Now pull up your pants and lets put on some music and play games...

Just as soon as I have finished taking a dump...

Ah wait! You mean those US of A pants? Sorry, got confused in my old age rolleyes.gif

Don't see it now, but someone mentioned an "Attendance Bonus" and "HR" aka human relations aka personal department?

I've never seen nor heard of a "bonus" for coming to school on time, not being absent, basically doing a good job in the classroom, and/or getting good reviews from the students. If anything, and quite surprisingly, the reverse is true....the worst of the "bad" at these normally expected things in a western culture or working at a 7/11 i.e. coming on time and doing your job, the worst aka those who are habitually late and absent full of excuses most often playing the "children" card are rewarded and admired by the Thai "management".

The concept of a HR department is also a mystery to me. I've never heard of such a thing in a Thai school, and I mean both for Thai employees and/or foreigners. Everything was always managed by "who we like", not accomplishments documented and preserved.

Can whomever stated there are bonuses to be earned for being a normal to good teacher behavior wise please expand on this? I don't mean simply an offer of a new contract, I mean financial incentives. Kind regards.

For me it's more of a stick approach than carrot.

My agency withholds 4000 baht to be paid at the end of contract in case I walk off the job.

For some reason walking off the job seems to be a problem in Thailand.

First of all, I'm not white.

Well that will be why a large number do not like you, not nice but reality here. Also they resent unqualified 'teachers' (not saying you are) earning more than them and having less responsibility. Many foreign teachers are like you with a here today gone elsewhere tomorrow attitude with no loyalty, and guees what- they resent it

You say you are tired of the Thai system.

Maybe the other teachers have a reason for not liking you.

From your attitude towards Thais they have good reason.

Go elsewhere you are only spoiling things for good teachers. Bye bye.

so you think the thai system is all that and a box of chocolates ? people that think like you do are the real problem . the whole edu system is stagnant , ok for 1956 , but not today. why don't you take your bad attitude elsewhere ? that or stop being so condescending .

For me it's more of a stick approach than carrot.

My agency withholds 4000 baht to be paid at the end of contract in case I walk off the job.

Never go with any agency or school with contract that does this. It's all just manipulation. It's not a bonus, its a withholding!!

30 days is fair

If there are too many issues with you leaving, its bcz many before you have bolted. So many in fact they have had to build in safeguards. Sign at your peril.

4k is not a big deal, many agencies withholding is a month. Do not ever!

Edited by Mencken

A teaching thread and all i read is racist comments!!!!!!!

We are doomed....

doomed...

once a complainer, always......and at zero pay, that complaining is multiplied by 200

and then they must worship the head of the school or be fired!!!!!

i will never understand the farang trying to achieve nirvana, and ending up more miserable!!!

coffee1.gif

Let's stick with the one issue, that of leaving campus. Why won't you tell us if you are allowed by contract to leave early or be absent when there are in fact no classes but school is open? Seems an innocent question yet you decline to answer? Why decline to answer?

Because it's not relevant to the thread topic.

I work at a private school. I can assure you that if you put all the foreign teacher's contracts aide-by-side, there will be some differences. Surely you'll agree that salaries and number of teaching hours might be different from one teacher to the next, so why can't other things be different too? Just because you personally can't imagine something to be so, doesn't mean that it's not so. That's an appeal to personal incredulity.

If they want me to continue working there, I need to agree to their terms and they need to agree to some of mine. That's the whole purpose of the contract negotiation meeting.

I think the members here can see right through your line of nonsense. While no idiot thinks the salary is the same, we all, to a man and woman, have not seen a contract full of stuff like "come at 8am" and your refusal to answer, after making such a claim, the question about when you can leave campus and about days when there are no classes, requirements to come in all day after classes cease but the school is still open(as Thai teachers have to do) does in fact tell us all here with an ounce of common sense you are just making it all up. But have it your way. I'm just warning people that this is a load of nonsense. Govern yourselves accordingly....and have a Happy Holiday season.

That's because, both agencies and schools, can't be trusted to pay as agreed if you give a proper notice. The teacher is left with two choices:

1. Give a notice, as required by contract or just common decency, and risk a month's wages...

2. Just leave after getting her salary, at the end of said month. Ignore calls and messages, get out of the country and get a new tourist VISA, and enter again(or go back where you came from).

It's all about lies once again. Lies and business decisions. It's once again not like you actually have recourse via the courts, and besides that, who wants to sue for their earned wages in such a circumstance?

When I was growing up we held teachers to a higher standard just because of the fact they were teachers. After reading the bigoted and racist comments on this thread, its obvious some of you dont deserve the title of teacher. You should change your profession and quit living the lie you are. Actually sickening comments.