Just suppose - O visa type is being phased out

simon43

ROFL ! Not about the proposition...about most of the replies!

Are we worth so much ? Really?

After an initial binge on setting ourselves up do we perpetually continue?

Mostly no.

Promotional Material? <deleted> ! Look at the majority expressed opinion ! As opposed to the probable silent majority.

Issan is primary? In your imagination!

Most countries do not allow casual long stay without provable reason. Thailand accepts so long as there is sufficient financial security for stay.

No land aquisition, no legitimate identity as such.

Unfair? Yes. But also arguably no.Emmigrants go for a richer life mostly. Immigrant farang come for a cheaper life. Who needs who?

If it came to it I could only contemplate returning to my country of origin. I would hope that my wife would and could come with.

But the reality is that Thailand could not easily indite such a policy without the repercussions of Thai being excempted from entry to or made more outrageously difficult to anywhere outside Thailand.

I guess the proposal of this post has been incited by the current activities.

If a regime( acceptable or not) makes a declaration to eradicate corruption or actions/ situations resulting from corruption and/or graft then it naturaly would lead to investigation of all circumstances. Farang are not excempt.

Unless you are ignorant enough to not understand the criteria to stay before or very shortly after arrival criticsims are actually pointless even if assumeably valid in principle.

But by virtue of the ease to use graft and corruption to remain staying in Thailand the very real possibility of a complete revision of long stay regulations could be enacted and imposed. Like it or leave it. And there can be no compliments of approval for those that have and are selfish enough to insist on or defend their abuses at the cost of those who would undramatically comply with an independant nations requirements

It will never happen, Thailand needs us, not just for contributing to the economy, but they

love the authority they have over us.

No, I would not go back to the UK ever, I would go to maybe the Philipines or Cambodia.

Good Morningcoffee1.gif Either one of those alternative choices, you mentioned, would be akin to jumping out from the frying pan, then directly into the fire. First of all, Cambodia's (Third World) infrastructure is 50 years behind Thailand, and 3X more expensive. Secondly, the P.I. is a totally insane social environment, with the highest "street-crime" rate in SE Asia. Don't be lured to the P.I. because they speak a better form of English. You'll definitely come to regret that move, guaranteed! Plus the food in the P.I. totally sucks, compared to Thailand, but the San Miguel beer is hearty enough.

Thailand will remain the best overall "bang-for-the-pound", regardless of any changes in Immigration policy. Be wise, don't hastily jump the Thai ship; just ride out whatever the coming storm brings to the farang community. You'll weather the storm just fine. Ok? Cheers, and Happy New Year.thumbsup.gif

The food maybe the only thing keeping me out of PI. I heard how bad it is, but couldn't believe how bad until I went. Local and Western food there, both bottom shelf.

My buddy, who is also a United Statesian, said "Bro, get out of Thailand, they HATE us there. Don't fall into the LOS myth. They only smile at us when we're buying from them. Get to PI, we liberated them and they LOVE us there." He's right to a degree, The food makes it unliveable though. Yes, it's that bad.

It will never happen, Thailand needs us, not just for contributing to the economy, but they

No, I would not go back to the UK ever, I would go to maybe the Philipines or Cambodia.

Good Morningcoffee1.gif Either one of those alternative choices, you mentioned, would be akin to jumping out from the frying pan, then directly into the fire. First of all, Cambodia's (Third World) infrastructure is 50 years behind Thailand, and 3X more expensive. Secondly, the P.I. is a totally insane social environment, with the highest "street-crime" rate in SE Asia. Don't be lured to the P.I. because they speak a better form of English. You'll definitely come to regret that move, guaranteed! Plus the food in the P.I. totally sucks, compared to Thailand, but the San Miguel beer is hearty enough.

Thailand will remain the best overall "bang-for-the-pound", regardless of any changes in Immigration policy. Be wise, don't hastily jump the Thai ship; just ride out whatever the coming storm brings to the farang community. You'll weather the storm just fine. Ok? Cheers, and Happy New Year.thumbsup.gif

The food maybe the only thing keeping me out of PI. I heard how bad it is, but couldn't believe how bad until I went. Local and Western food there, both bottom shelf.

My buddy, who is also a United Statesian, said "Bro, get out of Thailand, they HATE us there. Don't fall into the LOS myth. They only smile at us when we're buying from them. Get to PI, we liberated them and they LOVE us there." He's right to a degree, The food makes it unliveable though. Yes, it's that bad.

Your last sentence, I will keep that in mind, but I don't think Thailand will ever force us out.

Your last sentence, I will keep that in mind, but I don't think Thailand will ever force us out.

Do you really believe that the Bangkok elite want to eradicate the Isaan Social Welfare System?? If they get rid of the majority of Farang sponsors who build houses, buy cars and motorbikes and gold necklaces for the Isaan population, therebye keeping the economy "sufficient" against all the odds, then the Bangkok government will have to finance some sort of alternative, or the tractors will be heading for Bangkok again to block the roads....

Exactamundoclap2.gif

Remember the topic was about where would you go if Thailand got rid of the expats. I don't disagree with what you said about

the Philipines or Cambodia, but it is still a better bet than going back to stay in the UK among all these Immigrants, and also many

other things negative things.

Been there, done that, with the T-shirts to prove it. Most of my headaches in the UK came more from the indigenous "hooligan" mentality of Brits, than from any other ethnic group, if that's the negative things you're referring to. So whatever floats your boat. Life is much too short, to be bickering about the insignificant. Best wishes, wai.gif

Edited by TuskegeeBen

You forget, marriage visa/extension is a human rights issue.

Not something Thailand could easily do away with.

Anyway, plenty of nice places in Europe .... Spain, France, Portugal

Do you know about anything about the Tuscany region? If so, then kindly share. I'm seriously thinking about making a trip to Italy, soon. Making my third and final site-seeing excursion, through the excavation site @ Pompeii. The Romans were an very interesting people. Thanks.

Edited by TuskegeeBen

There are many people who have retired in Thailand and spent large sums of money on houses, Condo's cars etc. Those that are married and have children also have a responsibility to support of their family. I seriously doubt any Thai government no matter how authoritarian would do something like this which would bring an outpouring of protest from most of Europe, Australia and America. I for one, would never buy an Elite Card, It is a basic human right for families to be allowed to live together. I would rather be arrested while protesting and request the International Press be notified of the situation. I wonder how many tourists would arrive then? Also, do not be fooled by a so called Thai shift to China. Thailand has a long History about playing one country off another. China is no real friend and Thailand knows it. The Thai ruling elite know China is after one thing and that is Asian hegemony.

The Thai ruling elite are the ethnic Chinese, more commonly know as the SinoThais. To where would guess their true loyalties are pledged?

Edited by TuskegeeBen