Peru: Canadian kills British tourist during drug ritual

rooster59

Peru: Canadian kills British tourist during drug ritual

FRANKLIN BRICENO, Associated Press

LIMA, Peru (AP) — A 29-year-old Canadian allegedly stabbed to death a British tourist after the two drank a hallucinogenic brew at a spiritual retreat in the Peruvian Amazon.

Local authorities said the incident happened Wednesday night at the Phoenix Ayahuasca spiritual retreat near the town of Iquitos.

It's not clear what led to the death of Unais Gomes, 25. But local police chief Normando Marquez said witnesses described a fight breaking out between Gomes and fellow tourist Andrew Freeman during which a knife was pulled against the Canadian. The same knife was then used by Stevens to kill Gomez, the chief said.

In a video, Stevens can be seen being taken away in custody by a police truck. He was later released but must remain in Peru while he is being investigated for homicide, said Martín Manrique from Iquitos' prosecutors' office.

The hallucinogenic cocktail ayahuasca, also known as yage, has been venerated for centuries by indigenous tribes in Brazil, Peru, Ecuador and Colombia as a cure for all sorts of ailments. But it's also increasingly consumed by Western tourists looking for mind-altering experiences, sometimes with deadly consequences.

The two men were guests at Phoenix Ayahuasca, a self-described "shamanic healing retreat" owned by a sister and brother team from Australia. It describes itself on its website as "a safe and supportive place to experience plant medicines and explore the true nature of the self." Phoenix didn't return emails and phone calls requesting comment.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-12-19

Unais Gomes, 25. But local police chief Normando Marquez said witnesses described a fight breaking out between Gomes and fellow tourist Andrew Freeman during which a knife was pulled against the Canadian. The same knife was then used by Stevens to kill Gomez, the chief said."

So, where did Stevens come into it?

I recall reading Carlos Castaneda, "The Yaqui (Way of Life??)" (something like that). Trippy.

Unais Gomes, 25. But local police chief Normando Marquez said witnesses described a fight breaking out between Gomes and fellow tourist Andrew Freeman during which a knife was pulled against the Canadian. The same knife was then used by Stevens to kill Gomez, the chief said."

So, where did Stevens come into it?

I recall reading Carlos Castaneda, "The Yaqui (Way of Life??)" (something like that). Trippy.

Yeah, really! I reread the piece twice looking for the segue. It's good to see I'm not the only one who needs a better editor. coffee1.gif

True spirituality! One is first lifted high and then sent into the spiritual realm...

According to Castaneda (the author I referred to above),, who was an anthropologist studying Yaqui Indians and spent a couple of years with a shaman eating peyote, detura and (I think) the stuff mentioned in the OP, one would become a spirit animal and travel wherever.

One has to wonder how accurate recollections of an hallucinogenic trip can be.

True spirituality! One is first lifted high and then sent into the spiritual realm...

According to Castaneda (the author I referred to above),, who was an anthropologist studying Yaqui Indians and spent a couple of years with a shaman eating peyote, detura and (I think) the stuff mentioned in the OP, one would become a spirit animal and travel wherever.

One has to wonder how accurate recollections of an hallucinogenic trip can be.

William Burroughs also wrote about yage, in relation to either kicking heroin, or overcoming addiction, as I recall.