Anti - Theft Device

mercman24

just thought i would pass this on, i have just seen a "staged" vid, girl on a scooter, takes off the gear lever, guy comes along, jumps on scooter and no gears, been riding bikes all my life and never thought of that one, maybe this might come in handy for someone. KC

Can you add a little more.

By gear lever I assume you mean the one that changes gear and not the clutch lever.

How long does it take to remove a gear lever ?

Very confused am I.

Why would you take off your gear lever everywhere you went.

Also I assume you have to carry it on your person.

Surely there are easier ways of securing a motorcycle.

Sounds very extreme.

Imagine doing that in your car lol.

Edited by stoneyboy

sorry i started this goodbye,

Oh come on don't be such a baby.

Do you really believe this is a good idea and safe means of securing a motorcycle,as stated above what if you drive an automatic scooter should one remove the throttle cable.

It's a complete and utter load of nonsense,why would any one wish to remove a gear lever everywhere they went.

You say you have ridden motorcycles for a long time and never heard of it before,that's because civilised,educated folk don't go to such silly lengths to secure a motorbike.

Help yourself to one of these.

post-118612-14504981878774_thumb.jpg

My Kawa ZX130 had a ring welded to the main stand and one to the frame. Put the bike on the stand, a padlock through the rings, that's it. I guess a thief would prefer a bike which he doesn't have to carry away. Almost any bike shop should be able to do that welding as a after-market solution for a few Baht.

Just put your steering lock on .. makes it a lot harder. They might be able to break it but still its an extra hurdle to take. Or just take a combination lock with you and put it through your wheels. That is also easier as taking of a lever.

A scooter has always automatic gears....

I guess mercman24 is talking about a typical Honda Wave or something similar that actually have a "foot gear" Remove that and the motorcycle are useless...

Not true - my Lambretta was not automatic

I have heard of this before but not in Thailand,it is suggested quite a lot in the UK where high powered sports bikes are stolen regularly,however in the UK the thiefs will watch your bike for days and just bring another clutch lever or turn up in a van and pick the whole bike up and Chuck it in the back,another good one is a hidden kill switch that they will never find.

The best thing to HELP prevent theft , is adding "multiple layers" of defence , such as a disc lock , alarm , kill switch , chain ( best to an object ), bike cover. taninthai , have you heard of this , theres a system in use in England , called "lock-to-me". You loop your chain through somebody elses chain ( not their bike ! ) and so preventing thieves picking up one bike. When they go , they simply unlock their chain , and un-loop through yours. You need to make it difficult , so they move on else where.

ktm: yes.

multiple layers √

to an object √

first did the 'lock-to-me' dealy years ago @ uni with bicycles

when racks were full..

takes a big lock & chain/cable to resist the big bolt cutter tho.

so

best bang-for-buck & convenience,

disc lock with integral movement alarm <B500.

Edited by papa al

I guess mercman24 is talking about a typical Honda Wave or something similar that actually have a "foot gear" Remove that and the motorcycle are useless...

...and all classic Vespas. wink.png But difficult to remove the gear leverfacepalm.gif

When removing the gear lever did the girl in question keep it in a clutch purse.

My Kawa ZX130 had a ring welded to the main stand and one to the frame. Put the bike on the stand, a padlock through the rings, that's it. I guess a thief would prefer a bike which he doesn't have to carry away. Almost any bike shop should be able to do that welding as a after-market solution for a few Baht.

Many small bikes come with this mainstand pad locking setup already installed. First time I noticed it was over 20 years ago and my new Honda Wave has it also. But it is a hidden feature you have to get down on your knees and look for. I don't believe that most people are even aware of it's existence. Expect to find it on a Honda Wave or Dream under the left side. I am unsure what other manufacturers may have included them on their bikes.

The purpose of it is to lock your mainstand in the DOWN position. No way to push the bike anywhere. Has to be carried.

...and all classic Vespas. wink.png But difficult to remove the gear leverfacepalm.gif

When removing the gear lever did the girl in question keep it in a clutch purse.

Okay, on modern scooters then biggrin.png

• 2 weeks later...

In CM they drive up in a pickup, lift your m/c on the back then drive off.

None of your ideas will stop that.

Can you please post a link to any positive comment you have ever made on this forum ?

If people want to steal a bike, there isn't much you can do that will stop them... Preventive measures will deter most amateurs though and 1st class insurance will cover the rest..

Happy New Year :)

Can you please post a link to any positive comment you have ever made on this forum ?

If people want to steal a bike, there isn't much you can do that will stop them... Preventive measures will deter most amateurs though and 1st class insurance will cover the rest..

Happy New Year smile.png

sadly not Cornish...

Typical policy covers only 75% of the value....

And there is plenty you can do....

Complacency is the bigest problem....

Happy New Year smile.png

sadly not Cornish...

But a 2nd hand CB500F, for example, costs 75% of new price... Mine covered enough for me :)

Disc lock, grip lock and hope for the best... It's just a toy after all....

Happy New Year smile.png

sadly not Cornish...

But a 2nd hand CB500F, for example, costs 75% of new price... Mine covered enough for me smile.png

1) you haven't got a second hand 500F - you sold it - remember ??

2) policies here cover 75% of the bikes value when new, after 1 year the percentage is reduced each and every year, so you never get the true value of the bike if it is stolen or written off....

Happy New Year smile.png

sadly not Cornish...

But a 2nd hand CB500F, for example, costs 75% of new price... Mine covered enough for me smile.png

2) policies here cover 75% of the bikes value when new, after 1 year the percentage is reduced each and every year, so you never get the true value of the bike if it is stolen or written off....

I did sell mine, that's why I said my insurance "covered" past tense :)

But you're right, it doesn't cover the full amount...

I'll get another bike this year some time.. Could be a PCX or could be an MT-07 ? Or might not get another one at all !!

Happy New Year smile.png

sadly not Cornish...

I did sell mine, that's why I said my insurance "covered" past tense smile.png

I'll get another bike this year some time.. Could be a PCX or could be an MT-07 ? Or might not get another one at all !!

Well thanks for keeping us informed....

Happy New Year smile.png

sadly not Cornish...

I did sell mine, that's why I said my insurance "covered" past tense smile.png

Well thanks for keeping us informed....

You're welcome