How to open a bankaccount

Hi all.

Seems like the Thai rools have changed allot.
I am here on turist visa and need a bankaccount, dont really care where and how.
Is there any chance for me to open an account and if not.... Do anyone know withs country is the best to open.

I really need an account so any suggestion would be great

Easy answer, just go to any bank and ask.

Yes the rules do change, and banks interpretation of them vary from bank to bank, indeed branch to branch.

Except for the past to years every single bank I went in Bangkok strictly enforced a work permit rule. Even the Bangkok Bank recommend by most forum members.

Central Festival in Pattaya kasikorn bank will open it for you. Be prepared to pay 800 baht for SME card.

Hi Stonyboy.

That a long time ago right?

Anyone know other countries near Thailand that can do it without asking for 1 mill in deposit

About 5 years ago yes.

Like everything in Thailand situations vary greatly from province to province,where I live they see very few expats unlike Bangkok and Pattaya for example whereby the rules are usually enforced more so than upcountry.

Good luck either way.

I opened an account in CM last week. No problems,except for all the IRS bs the teller had to fill out. If you're American make sure you got your Social card and DL, you'll need them.

A Canadian friends will be in Chiangmai next month on a tourist visa and want to open an account. Can you be specificabout the Branch you used last week ?

Iy ma help to start there.

These days it's common for banks to want to see a long term visa/ extension I.e. Not a tourist visa and not 30 days entry. I can say for a fact that's the case at my main bank as I ask from time to time to help friends out with opening and that's recent feedback. By default they often ask for a work permit but that's not essential the long term visa is more important.

Bangkok bank are one of the ones more open to foreigners and tourist areas like Pattaya are a bit more open. It can vary though even within branches of the same bank.

I opened an account in CM last week. No problems,except for all the IRS bs the teller had to fill out. If you're American make sure you got your Social card and DL, you'll need them.

A Canadian friends will be in Chiangmai next month on a tourist visa and want to open an account. Can you be specificabout the Branch you used last week ?

Iy ma help to start there.

It was KrungThai Bank out past the Holiday Inn.

Can tell you i opened account withtourist visa few days ago - krungsri branch in exchange tower (Asok bts)

When i was in pattaya i tried many banks , they all refused without work permit or a 6 month lease contract at condo, or thai driving license,

and sure enough- the first i asked in exchange tower bkk gave me an account on the spot!

the specific post i read about exchange tower - that couple was asked to bring a "letter of residence" (free from memory) from embassy. They used the hotel address they were staying at - no problem

I also had email exchange with Bangkok bank , and they said that i needed that same residence paper from my embassy to open account.

So as i went to exchange tower i was prepared that i might had to go to my embassy and get that paper - which cost 1000 baht.

but in Krungsri they didnt even asked for that. cost was 200+300 for atm-card + annual fee , and minium deposit 500 baht.

The atm-card i got can only be used in krungsri atm tho, but its ok with me since they are everywhere smile.png

edit: hmm seems like a line or 2 dissapeared , but i think it still makes sense

Edited by Eddie The Eagle

I opened an account while here on a tourist visa or visa exempt entry, can't recall which, but admittedly that was many years ago.

Best to try a branch where there are likely to be many farang customers. Bangkok Bank Pratumnak sub branch in Pattaya has always been pretty accommodating, but hard to say if that's still true. Tell them you MIGHT need to transfer money in to buy a condo next year. Maybe they'll be more receptive.

Edited by Suradit69

Rob13

I am in CM, Where where where... hehe

Withs branch?

I opened an account in March in Krungthai at Changklan, but I already had an existing account with them in Bangkok, so that might have helped.

A friend of mine opened an account with Krungthai at Central Festival a month ago, he was on a 30 day visa waiver stamp.

They did first ask for work permit, but after a little back and forth, they said he could get an account w/o WP if he agreed to not get any interests.

There is btw a pinned topic about opening a bank account (where I have previously added the above info about WP and interests).