900 MHz Auction - what's next ?

skippybangkok

According to reports AIS withdrew their bidding because the "price had stretched far beyond fair value".

It is strange that Thailand has now broken the world record for th most expensive bandwidth.

Why would a small company like Jasmine International be so interested?

According to reports AIS withdrew their bidding because the "price had stretched far beyond fair value".

It is strange that Thailand has now broken the world record for th most expensive bandwidth.

Why would a small company like Jasmine International be so interested?

Yep - and the band with is not really enough to be able to compete , unless they can strike a deal with others

Huh?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

Probably going off topic, however let's see where it goes – – my association to the original post is that whilst these people are spending/bidding billions of baht on new broadband systems, they forget the poor folk who have older style phones that are not compatible with 3G and up, as mine is only compatible with 2G.

Took the phone along to AIS and they tried all sorts of things with regards to Sim cards etc, then informed me that my phone was only capable of operating on the 2G network and as that had ceased, then I would have to buy a new phone!!!

Edited by xylophone

No operator is abandoning 2G

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

I am not an expert on this, however this link seems to suggest otherwise.....

https://www.telegeography.com/products/commsupdate/articles/2015/07/02/final-2g-phase-out-periods-agreed-in-thailand/

What I do know is that the signal on my AIS mobile went, with a message to contact the operator, and when I got to the AIS desk and they finally explained the problem, within the next 30 min there were at least 20 people at the counter with similar problems!

I am now using the same Sim card with a newly purchased 3G capable phone and all seems to be working well?

these people are spending/bidding billions of baht on new broadband systems, they forget the poor folk who have older style phones that are not compatible with 3G and up

Was raised years back in the first 3G auction public hearings. NBTC view is telecoms companies are rich and can pay, at the end of the day it's the end consumer who will have to pay the license fees thru increased service fees

Costlier telecoms service will hit the poor, not the rich

Not sure exactly what that says in amongst all of the jargon, however one thing I do know.............on Thursday evening the signal on my phone disappeared several times within the space of an hour and every time that happened a message came on the screen to contact the service operator, which I did.

They gave me a new Sim card and that didn't work in my phone, they then tried it in a similar phone which someone else had and it didn't work in there either, it was then that they suggested I needed a new phone because my current Nokia only supported 2G. Obviously loads of other people had the same problem as the place became crowded with people wanting to know what was happening, and even the little shop round the corner, which sold a variety of mobile phones, said they were doing good business because people had to get new phones (those with the older style that is).

Imagine my surprise today when the new phone I bought needed the battery charging, so I took the liberty of taking out my original Sim card and put it back in the Nokia AND it is working again.......!!

I have no idea what happened on Thursday evening with the network being down and the messages coming up on the phone (anyone else have a clue?), nor have I any idea why the AIS folk suggested I needed a new phone, however my original Nokia seems to be working again.

It does seem however that 2G is going to be phased out at sometime so perhaps the move I have made is not a bad one, however it would have been great had I had time to look around at options.

Comments.........?

Edited by xylophone

Not sure exactly what that says in amongst all of the jargon, however one thing I do know.............on Thursday evening the signal on my phone disappeared several times within the space of an hour and every time that happened a message came on the screen to contact the service operator, which I did.

They gave me a new Sim card and that didn't work in my phone, they then tried it in a similar phone which someone else had and it didn't work in there either, it was then that they suggested I needed a new phone because my current Nokia only supported 2G. Obviously loads of other people had the same problem as the place became crowded with people wanting to know what was happening, and even the little shop round the corner, which sold a variety of mobile phones, said they were doing good business because people had to get new phones (those with the older style that is).

Imagine my surprise today when the new phone I bought needed the battery charging, so I took the liberty of taking out my original Sim card and put it back in the Nokia AND it is working again.......!!

I have no idea what happened on Thursday evening with the network being down and the messages coming up on the phone (anyone else have a clue?), nor have I any idea why the AIS folk suggested I needed a new phone, however my original Nokia seems to be working again.

It does seem however that 2G is going to be phased out at sometime so perhaps the move I have made is not a bad one, however it would have been great had I had time to look around at options.

Comments.........?

This is not a surprise out of the blue. It has been endlessly discussed on this forum as well as Thai media: TV, radio and press. Even my GF's old aunt upcountry knew; she called and asked for a new phone.

All the carriers have been selling dirt cheap 3G feature phones...less than B300...for the last six months. I read that in some locations, AIS was giving phones to existing customers with non-compatable phones but I have not seen confirmation of that.

Things do change. Treat yourself and spend B300 on a shiny new "tor la sap"

Comments.........?

This is not a surprise out of the blue. It has been endlessly discussed on this forum as well as Thai media: TV, radio and press. Even my GF's old aunt upcountry knew; she called and asked for a new phone.

All the carriers have been selling dirt cheap 3G feature phones...less than B300...for the last six months. I read that in some locations, AIS was giving phones to existing customers with non-compatable phones but I have not seen confirmation of that.

Things do change. Treat yourself and spend B300 on a shiny new "tor la sap"

Thanks for the tip dddave.............did buy one anyway, but not for 300 baht I'm afraid, and now the old Nokia is working again!

So in summary, the network went "down" and messages said to contact the service provider. I did and they knew nothing, gave me incorrect advice and said the phone was kaput, so bought a new one (not from them) and now the old one works..........only in Thailand!!!

• 2 weeks later...