British woman falls off moving tuk tuk in Kamala, dies after late night in Patong

rooster59

British woman falls off moving tuk tuk in Kamala, dies after late night in Patong

post-247607-0-01139700-1450601440_thumb.

The accident happened at this curve in Kamala.

PHUKET: A foreign woman who fell off from the back of a moving tuk tuk in Kamala early this morning following a late night on Patong's Bangla Rd, was finally pronounced dead at Vachira Phuket Hospital.

Kamala Police were notified of the accident at about 3.30am by the driver of the Patong tuk tuk, who reported picking up a foreign couple in Patong some time before 3am this morning.

The driver of the tuk tuk, identified as 44-year-old Yongyut Damkong, reported that the couple were in an intoxicated state when he picked them up.

“The couple had been on Bangla Rd and were heading to their hotel on Surin Beach,” said Pol Lt Prasert Thongphrom.

“The tuk tuk driver reported that the couple had an argument about which tuk tuk to take and finally decided on the one [driven by Mr Yongyut],” added Pol Lt Prasert.

The accident occurred at the curve near the Kubo Muslim cemetary in Kamala's Moo 1, and based on testimony from the tuk tuk driver and his wife, police believe that the incident was an accident.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/british-woman-falls-off-moving-tuk-tuk-in-kamala-dies-after-late-night-in-patong-55494.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-12-20

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The first two posts immediately jump on the tuk tuk driver. How about this? The woman was drunk out of her mind, did something stupid and FELL OUT of the tuk tuk. You notice the tuk tuk driver didn't so a runner, but stuck around till the cops got there. Not the actions of a guilty man.

The first two posts immediately jump on the tuk tuk driver. How about this? The woman was drunk out of her mind, did something stupid and FELL OUT of the tuk tuk. You notice the tuk tuk driver didn't so a runner, but stuck around till the cops got there. Not the actions of a guilty man.

Can not be. Farang are always right and smart, Thai are stupid and idiots.

How dare you question their judgment. Don't you know the TV rules. Everything is always the Thai's fault. Farang are always innocent.

As noted in another post, rough times here for Brits ! This lady, British gal hit on Patong Hill, British guy gets whacked by tuk-tuk driver in Patong, British guy in Pattaya thrashed by ladyboys, the disappearing backpacker (since found) in Phi Phi.

Blimey!

lady pissed out off her skull, guy loudmouth ladyboys, backpacker shits on parents

Was it a legal or illegal tuk tuk? I can't recall which ones are legal, either the side entrance or the rear entrance vehicles, but one of them is legal while the other is not,although that never stopped the authorities from looking the other way. RIP to this lady and let's hope the other passenger can clear up what happened.

Was it a legal or illegal tuk tuk? I can't recall which ones are legal, either the side entrance or the rear entrance vehicles, but one of them is legal while the other is not,although that never stopped the authorities from looking the other way. RIP to this lady and let's hope the other passenger can clear up what happened.

Side entrance is illegal.

the tuk tuk's are dangerous so no question there, they likely take drunk people home all the time, this was not a journey from a pub to a hotel around the corner, it was out on a main road connecting two different resort areas of Phuket, I would blame the driver of the tuk tuk as he was likely driving too fast and had little regard for the safety of his drunk passengers, round a bend at speed hit a bump passenger loses grip on handrail and out she goes - no helmet head hits the curb or post and dead

These drivers should be well experienced driving drunk people home that is what they are there for, the couple are on holiday doing the right thing and getting someone else to drive them home, should they have been drunk ? well yes up to them they are on holiday, should the tuk tuk drive have been more careful and perhaps driving slower instead of racing for his next job ? well I say yes

Another pointless avoidable death of the roads of Phuket

RIP

Tuk tuks and Thai drivers have a bad rep, so do drunk tourists.

Hard not to like both sides of this discussion. Hard not to dislike both sides of this discussion.

Its none of their fault.

Its the authorities fault for not having standards.

I mean Phuket should have matured by now and protect its guests with safe modes of transport.

Modified mini vans and pick ups arent what i call international standard.

These open Tuk Tuks have a lot of 'charm' for a tourist, but a potential death trap for the inebriated tourist. A closed taxi, and with aircon, would be so much safer.

But let's not forget that a lady died - RIP.

How does the aircon make it safer?

Agree about the rest

These open Tuk Tuks have a lot of 'charm' for a tourist, but a potential death trap for the inebriated tourist. A closed taxi, and with aircon, would be so much safer.

But let's not forget that a lady died - RIP.

How does the aircon make it safer?

Agree about the rest

Cooler heads prevail.

"The accident occurred at the curve near the Kubo Muslim cemetary in Kamala's Moo 1, and based on testimony from the tuk tuk driver and his wife, police believe that the incident was an accident."

Perhaps they should wait on their judgement until they interview the deceased's partner? Wouldn't that be a logical step?

Land Traffic Act B.E. 2522 (1979) (Thailand)

Section 20 (500B)

"A driver is responsible for not letting his passengers, animals or loads to fall, leak, give out a smell, reflect light, etc. which may cause harm or danger to the public.”

If you want to have some belly laughs have a look at the official Land Traffic Act here:

(And see all the laws that are ignored)

http://thailaws.com/law/t_laws/tlaw0140_5.pdf

always right and smart ! mostly those drunk farangs at 3 am !

"The accident occurred at the curve near the Kubo Muslim cemetary in Kamala's Moo 1, and based on testimony from the tuk tuk driver and his wife, police believe that the incident was an accident."

Perhaps they should wait on their judgement until they interview the deceased's partner? Wouldn't that be a logical step?

Section 20 (500B)

"A driver is responsible for not letting his passengers, animals or loads to fall, leak, give out a smell, reflect light, etc. which may cause harm or danger to the public.”

If you want to have some belly laughs have a look at the official Land Traffic Act here:

Yes time Thailand had proper taxis with seat belts. The prices are now close to the west now anyway particularly in Phuket they can afford to upgrade and comply with basic laws.

British woman dies after falling off tuk tuk in Thailand during night out
BY RACHEL BISHOP

The woman fell out the back of the vehicle in Phuket in the early hours of the morning

LONDON: -- A British woman has died after falling out the back of a tuk tuk in Thailand following a night out.

The woman was travelling to her hotel on Phuket Island at around 3am this morning after spending time on Patong’s Bangla Road, according to thephuketnews.com.

Bangla Road is known for its vibrant nightlife and is lined with bars and clubs.

Driver Yongyut Damkong, 44, called police at around 3.30am, saying a foreign couple he had picked up had been in an accident.

Police Lieutenant Prasert Thongphrom said: “The couple had been on Bangla Road and were heading to their hotel on Surin Beach.

“The tuk tuk driver reported that the couple had an argument about which tuk tuk to take and finally decided on the one (driven by Mr Yongyut)."

Full story: http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/british-woman-dies-after-falling-7045022

-- MIRROR 2015-12-21

Spent a week on Phuket earlier this year after not being there for about 5 years and I have never seen so many shit-faced drunk, simply out-of-control farang as I saw on Soi Bangla. I swear people just lose their mind when they are on that soi.

I'm giving the benefit of the doubt to the tuk tuk driver in this case.

Edited by morpho

Spent a week on Phuket earlier this year after not being there for about 5 years and I have never seen so many shit-faced drunk, simply out-of-control farang as I saw on Soi Bangla. I swear people just lose their mind when they are on that soi.

I'm giving the benefit of the doubt to the tuk tuk driver in this case.

No different to Kaosan Rd or Walking St in Pattaya.

Don't suppose the driver could have been taking the curve at break neck speed?

I'll bet, according to the driver and his wife, they were driving very carefully while taking the corner, especially knowing the husband and wife were drunk. I also believe in Santa Claus.

Not that easy for him to do a runner when the husband of the woman is still sitting in his tuk tuk, plus his own wife would of had to run too.

Section 20 (500B)

"A driver is responsible for not letting his passengers, animals or loads to fall, leak, give out a smell, reflect light, etc. which may cause harm or danger to the public.

Section 43 is a cracker, thnx for the file maybe need to show proof to police 1 day.

I never understood why visitors like to take a tuk tuk in bangkok, in island locations where transportation is limited I understand. I always see visitors stuck in tuk tuk in Bangkok, the price they pay is no cheaper than taxis as well, I guess its for the experience?

There would probably be a market for airconditioned tuk tuks - cha ching, best of both worlds.