British woman falls off moving tuk tuk in Kamala, dies after late night in Patong

rooster59

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was it a legal or illegal tuk tuk? I can't recall which ones are legal, either the side entrance or the rear entrance vehicles, but one of them is legal while the other is not,although that never stopped the authorities from looking the other way. RIP to this lady and let's hope the other passenger can clear up what happened.

"let's hope the other passenger can clear up what happened" - maybe the other passenger pushed her out.

They were seen arguing shortly before the accident.

The first two posts immediately jump on the tuk tuk driver. How about this? The woman was drunk out of her mind, did something stupid and FELL OUT of the tuk tuk. You notice the tuk tuk driver didn't so a runner, but stuck around till the cops got there. Not the actions of a guilty man.

Can not be. Farang are always right and smart, Thai are stupid and idiots.

Spent a week on Phuket earlier this year after not being there for about 5 years and I have never seen so many shit-faced drunk, simply out-of-control farang as I saw on Soi Bangla. I swear people just lose their mind when they are on that soi.

I'm giving the benefit of the doubt to the tuk tuk driver in this case.

No different to Kaosan Rd or Walking St in Pattaya.

Or Rawai.

The first two posts immediately jump on the tuk tuk driver. How about this? The woman was drunk out of her mind, did something stupid and FELL OUT of the tuk tuk. You notice the tuk tuk driver didn't so a runner, but stuck around till the cops got there. Not the actions of a guilty man.

Or likely the actions of a guilty man who knows the cops and knows he won't get in trouble.

Show me a tuk-tuk driver who does not drive at excessive speed, especially going out to Surin Beach.

"The accident occurred at the curve near the Kubo Muslim cemetary in Kamala's Moo 1, and based on testimony from the tuk tuk driver and his wife, police believe that the incident was an accident."

Perhaps they should wait on their judgement until they interview the deceased's partner? Wouldn't that be a logical step?

Land Traffic Act B.E. 2522 (1979) (Thailand)

Section 20 (500B)

"A driver is responsible for not letting his passengers, animals or loads to fall, leak, give out a smell, reflect light, etc. which may cause harm or danger to the public.”

If you want to have some belly laughs have a look at the official Land Traffic Act here:

(And see all the laws that are ignored)

http://thailaws.com/law/t_laws/tlaw0140_5.pdf

Yes time Thailand had proper taxis with seat belts. The prices are now close to the west now anyway particularly in Phuket they can afford to upgrade and comply with basic laws.

Thailand has got proper taxis with seat belts.

Phuket, a different country, hasn't.

Spent a week on Phuket earlier this year after not being there for about 5 years and I have never seen so many shit-faced drunk, simply out-of-control farang as I saw on Soi Bangla. I swear people just lose their mind when they are on that soi.

benefit ????? as with most other posts here agree, it is the responsibility of the driver to get his passengers home safe, it is as simple as that, there is no doubt about that, however if the woman was thrown or jumped from the tuk tuk on purpose then there is not much the driver could do in that case, but I stay with my original post and lay the blame totally with the driver for not taking care of his passengers and driving carefully and at an appropriate speed for road conditions and passenger conditions - it is his responsibility to get them home safely

Don't suppose the driver could have been taking the curve at break neck speed?

And on a bend like that what would you suggest the break neck speed would be? Why is it that when something happens to a farang they are never to blame, always a third party. Break neck speed in a tuktuk, a whole 40 kilometres per hour if your'e lucky and on such a sweepng curve, the vehicle would negotiate it with ease. She was inebriated, had an argument with the man friend prior, just a couple of factors that might have contributed to the incident or would you say those two aspects are irrelevant?

How dare you question their judgment. Don't you know the TV rules. Everything is always the Thai's fault. Farang are always innocent.

How about an alternative scenario? Husband and wife have a drunken row, husband shoves wife out of tuk-tuk on a sharp bend.

benefit ????? as with most other posts here agree, it is the responsibility of the driver to get his passengers home safe, it is as simple as that, there is no doubt about that, however if the woman was thrown or jumped from the tuk tuk on purpose then there is not much the driver could do in that case, but I stay with my original post and lay the blame totally with the driver for not taking care of his passengers and driving carefully and at an appropriate speed for road conditions and passenger conditions - it is his responsibility to get them home safely

Were you there, I do not think so, therefore to lay the blame on someone without knowing anything about the incident, other than what you have read, is rather foolish. Yes, it is the driver's responsibility to drive safely and not become involved in a crash thus placing the passengers at risk. Given what has been reported nothing of this nature occurred so it appears he complied with what was required and that something which was beyond his control gave rise to the incident. More guessing game, thrown or jumped. Here's another scenario, what if she just stood up, lost balance and fell. As none of us were there let's stop the blame game because all you are doing is sensationalising an incident for the sake of doing so.

Thai's have trouble understanding the concept of "Duty of Care."

As noted in another post, rough times here for Brits ! This lady, British gal hit on Patong Hill, British guy gets whacked by tuk-tuk driver in Patong, British guy in Pattaya thrashed by ladyboys, the disappearing backpacker (since found) in Phi Phi.

Blimey!

Perhaps we should put leashes on them.

......anybody and anything but them.....

...such a pathetic load of crock....

....rest in peace,,,condolences to family and friends......

...it would take a hell of a lot to get someone to 'fly out of' one of those....

....'they had an argument'....seems like the driver is confessing that he was riled up or upset....

....and maybe wanted to 'show them'.....

...knowing the mentality....that would seem more plausible.....

RIP to the poor women, it sounds like a bad way to go, hopefully the alcohol helped ease the trauma.

I do believe that both parties need to share the blame here, unless it can be proven to be a murder, and we do need the surviving Brits version, and I can't help but wonder why that isn't included, As I doubt it would change much between the event and waking up today ( and no... I don't believe I'm being insensitive saying this...,the sooner after an incident the better as their is less time for the imagination to change things)

But ultimately..... The driver has a duty of care to his passengers, and should be monitoring their action, whilst in his care. To have "fallen out" of the tuk tuk, she must have been moving around, and the driver should have known this ( shifting weight in a very light vehicle and RV mirrors) and should then have modified his driving, even to the extent of stopping and asking them to sit down.

We all know that common sense drains out as alcohol drains in, so the couple in the back were least equipped to make sensible decisions... That's why they hired a sober driver ( assumedly sober)

Problem with proper taxis is the tuk tuk mafia, which was supposed to be going thru government mediated changes, following the fracas earlier in the year, when yuk yuk drivers blockaded patong.... They won't allow proper taxis into their area

But.... A very simple gate arrangement could easily be installed on every tuk tuk to prevent this sort of thing happening... But it would mean that the driver would have to get out of his vehicle to let the passengers out, so that may be asking to much

I also wonder were in rawai something similar to Bangladesh road may be found.... Beer and ping pong balls are always entertaining.

( yer... That bit was insensitive)

Hopefully someone will attach an update with the surviving Brits version of what happened, as simple saying that they argued over which tuk tuck to grab, in itself, means nothing at all, and could be construed as being misleading..... One could simple have had no cushioned seats, verse cushioned seats... Etc

As noted in another post, rough times here for Brits ! This lady, British gal hit on Patong Hill, British guy gets whacked by tuk-tuk driver in Patong, British guy in Pattaya thrashed by ladyboys, the disappearing backpacker (since found) in Phi Phi.

Blimey!

Perhaps we should put leashes on them.

Yes, and call them seatbelts.

Some doors on taxis wouldn't hurt either.

The only 'stupid' thing you need do in a tuk tuk, whether drunk or sober, and especially on longer trips at speed, is not to hang on to the nearest metal rail. No blame here attached to the driver. The way tuk tuk drivers drive on rough Thai roads is all part of the deal. Its up to you to risk assess before getting in. If you want more safety choose an old man in an old tuk tuk........probably cheaper too with less risk of rip off or confrontation.

Very unfortunate accident.............My sympathy goes out to her partner and her family................RIP.

Blimey!

If you were to read the local newspapers from back home on a daily basis, it makes here look safe.

Liverpool, Manchester, Birmingham, Glasgow, London and all the others, rapes, stabbings, shootings, drugs, child abuse, all reported, more or less, every day.

I know where I chose to live.

Not one person explored the idea that her husband, also being pissed and perhaps ticked off concerning his wife, "helped" her off the Tuk Tuk when it went into the curve. Nice way to rid himself of a possible nagging wife. All it would take was a little push. The article did say they were arguing prior to taking the Tuk Tuk.

Good response. Probably on the mark.

What was that evidence from his wife though that the cops took notice of? Was she present?

Thai roads - must be some of the most dangerous real estate on the planet!

Not one person explored the idea that her husband, also being pissed and perhaps ticked off concerning his wife, "helped" her off the Tuk Tuk when it went into the curve. Nice way to rid himself of a possible nagging wife. All it would take was a little push. The article did say they were arguing prior to taking the Tuk Tuk.

Now now, keep that imagination in check!

Now now, keep that imagination in check!

Funny enough that's the punchline to one of my long-winded jokes where bank robbers having robbed the teller say "you've seen my face, have to kill you, blam".

As they exit, all patrons on floor face down, robbers yell "anyone else seen our faces" and one guy who had been getting nagged whilst in line about his spending (horse races, drinks with the mates, etc.,etc.) says "pretty sure my wife saw you".

RIP to the lady, don't mean to make light of the tragedy.

I believe the idea was expressed at least four times on page two.

RIP to the poor women, it sounds like a bad way to go, hopefully the alcohol helped ease the trauma.

I do believe that both parties need to share the blame here, unless it can be proven to be a murder, and we do need the surviving Brits version, and I can't help but wonder why that isn't included, As I doubt it would change much between the event and waking up today ( and no... I don't believe I'm being insensitive saying this...,the sooner after an incident the better as their is less time for the imagination to change things)

But ultimately..... The driver has a duty of care to his passengers, and should be monitoring their action, whilst in his care. To have "fallen out" of the tuk tuk, she must have been moving around, and the driver should have known this ( shifting weight in a very light vehicle and RV mirrors) and should then have modified his driving, even to the extent of stopping and asking them to sit down.

We all know that common sense drains out as alcohol drains in, so the couple in the back were least equipped to make sensible decisions... That's why they hired a sober driver ( assumedly sober)

Problem with proper taxis is the tuk tuk mafia, which was supposed to be going thru government mediated changes, following the fracas earlier in the year, when yuk yuk drivers blockaded patong.... They won't allow proper taxis into their area

But.... A very simple gate arrangement could easily be installed on every tuk tuk to prevent this sort of thing happening... But it would mean that the driver would have to get out of his vehicle to let the passengers out, so that may be asking to much

I also wonder were in rawai something similar to Bangladesh road may be found.... Beer and ping pong balls are always entertaining.

( yer... That bit was insensitive)

Hopefully someone will attach an update with the surviving Brits version of what happened, as simple saying that they argued over which tuk tuck to grab, in itself, means nothing at all, and could be construed as being misleading..... One could simple have had no cushioned seats, verse cushioned seats... Etc

Both parties are not to blame.

Phuket Authorities have failed everyone by not installing a proper and safe taxi meter service.

These modified vans/pickups are not up to any safety standard and its a disgrace they are still in action in 2015.

They have a duty to keep their guests safe period..

yes , i'm sure it was an accident ..... and i'm sure the tuk tuk driver wasn't speeding or driving erratically whilst negotiating the bend ..blink.png

Even taking the curve at speed it was an unfortunate accident as the couple were drunk and not being responsible for there actions. RIP.