Just want to make sure I am clear...

There is no Thai consulate within 500 miles of me. How do I get a Visa? Can I do this online?

No, you can't do it online, but you can do it by mailing them your passport with the fully completed application and fee. The consulate can provide info to you about the mailing details including getting it mailed back. Then your issue is timing depending on when your flight is.

Where is your closest consulate?

Or fly to Cambodia first and do your thing in Cambodia first and then apply for a Thai Visa at the Thai consulate / embassy in Cambodia in Phnom Penh and then go to Thailand later.

Or do not apply for a Thai Visa while in Cambodia and just wing it and just show up at the Airport in Thailand and more than likely get a 30 day stay on arrival.

If not granted a 30 day stay on arrival then head back to Cambodia and try the Embassy route while enjoying your once again stay in Phnom Penh.

All in good fun and part of the travel adventure.

So you will have to go from the USA to Cambodia first by way of Hong Kong with a transfer to an airline taking you to Cambodia first.

If you never get to Thailand ...then do not sweat it...... as you will enjoy Cambodia so much you may wonder what all the big fuss is about concerning Thailand....which many say is rapidly on its way down hill ( while I do not agree but many swear that Thailand is a lost cause now while Cambodia is the place to be...so they say) ...so check it out and learn for yourself if Cambodia is all that it is said to be.

I have been to Cambodia many times myself...I also liked it a lot....But Thailand is my base so I am stuck here in Bangkok and happy to be stuck here...thanks very much...lol

Cheers

Edited by gemguy

What I dont understand about this issue is ............................................

if you are from a country that is eligible for a 30 day visa exempt entry ..........................why does the airline care about a visa or return ticket.

<snip>

I understand what you are saying, but the airlines are playing it safe aka they don't wanna lose money and possibly risk a Fine

Suppose, a passenger just got banned from Thailand flies back to his Home Country, gets a New passport and boards a plane to Thailand (thinking getting a new passport would go unnoticed). After arriving in Thailand it's the airline's responsibility to transport him back if he gets refused entry, and if the passenger only has a One Way ticket the Airline has to pay for it.

wai.gif

This is a myth. You should read Article 14, in particular paras 3 & 4, of the IATA General Conditions of Carriage.

Thanks for that ....sandyf----------------------

I personally have NEVER had a problem travelling from AUST to Thailand with one way ticket and NO VISA( intending to get visa exempt entry). Done it 3 times in the last 2 years.

IMO, if for some reason I am denied entry to Thailand it is my problem and NOT the airlines. I would have thought that I would be held at airport until I could arrange travel out of the country. If I did not have sufficient funds to organise this .............................well #1 why was I coming to thailand in the first place and #2 I would expect to be transferred to an Immigration detention centre until such time as I could make arrangements.

To me it has nothing to do with the airline.

What I dont understand about this issue is ............................................

if you are from a country that is eligible for a 30 day visa exempt entry ..........................why does the airline care about a visa or return ticket.

<snip>

I understand what you are saying, but the airlines are playing it safe aka they don't wanna lose money and possibly risk a Fine

Suppose, a passenger just got banned from Thailand flies back to his Home Country, gets a New passport and boards a plane to Thailand (thinking getting a new passport would go unnoticed). After arriving in Thailand it's the airline's responsibility to transport him back if he gets refused entry, and if the passenger only has a One Way ticket the Airline has to pay for it. wai.gif

This is a myth. You should read Article 14, in particular paras 3 & 4, of the IATA General Conditions of Carriage.

So maybe some airlines do this just to sell tickets, then?

When traveling from Vancouver to the Philippines (avoiding the USSA's airports, en-route from Latin America), I was required to show a ticket-out before boarding (I had one dated several months in the future - Manila to Hong Kong). When I entered the Philippines, where a 14-month stay is possible as a tourist before the 1st visa run, I again was required to show my outgoing ticket, to pass their immigration.

That ticket was never used, of course - just a cost of "jumping through hoops" to pass immigration regulations.

• Like 1

<snip>

Suppose, a passenger just got banned from Thailand flies back to his Home Country, gets a New passport and boards a plane to Thailand (thinking getting a new passport would go unnoticed). After arriving in Thailand it's the airline's responsibility to transport him back if he gets refused entry, and if the passenger only has a One Way ticket the Airline has to pay for it. wai.gif

So maybe some airlines do this just to sell tickets, then?

When traveling from Vancouver to the Philippines (avoiding the USSA's airports, en-route from Latin America), I was required to show a ticket-out before boarding (I had one dated several months in the future - Manila to Hong Kong). When I entered the Philippines, where a 14-month stay is possible as a tourist before the 1st visa run, I again was required to show my outgoing ticket, to pass their immigration.

That ticket was never used, of course - just a cost of "jumping through hoops" to pass immigration regulations.

This is what was posted by the Thai consulate.

Please note that under Thailand’s immigration rules it is allowed for a foreigner to fly to Thailand on a one-way ticket only if they are in

possession of a valid visa which they can present when they check-in

for their flight to Thailand.

Without such a visa the traveller will not be allowed to board their flight

to Thailand with a one-way ticket.

Please also note that some flight operators may be reluctant to accept

a traveller to Thailand with a one-way ticket even if they are in

possession of a valid visa. This may be something to do with rules

or regulations imposed by the flight operator. Accordingly, we advise

all travellers to check this with their airway carrier (not travel agent) well

in advance of travelling to avoid last minute complications.

For information about obtaining a visa for Thailand please contact

the Royal Thai Consulate in Hullwww.thaiconsul-uk.com

Thai immigration rules allow you to enter on a 30 day exempt...................at worst you then become overstay and that is NOT the airlines problem.

when I first came to Thailand ( from Australia) 3 years ago ..................I only had a one way ticket and NO VISA ( obtained entry visa exempt). I had no issues boarding the plane.

I have of course since obtained permission to stay based on retirement.

-----------------------------

The airline cares because international travel by air is subject to IATA rules....and IATA stipulates that if for some reason you are rejected for stay by your destination country.... not likely for Thailand.... then the AIRLINE is responsible for getting you out of the country that rejected you.

Though it is not likely to happen. especially for a U.S. or G-7 country national, it could possibly cost the airline money.

Thai immigration rules allow you to enter on a 30 day exempt...................at worst you then become overstay and that is NOT the airlines problem.

when I first came to Thailand ( from Australia) 3 years ago ..................I only had a one way ticket and NO VISA ( obtained entry visa exempt). I had no issues boarding the plane.

The airline cares because international travel by air is subject to IATA rules....and IATA stipulates that if for some reason you are rejected for stay by your destination country.... not likely for Thailand.... then the AIRLINE is responsible for getting you out of the country that rejected you.

Though it is not likely to happen. especially for a U.S. or G-7 country national, it could possibly cost the airline money.

Try actually reading the IATA CofC in post No 62.

I see nothing in the article you refer to that contradicts what IMA_FARANG says. The articles actually confirms that it's the airlines responsibility to carry you out of Thailand should you be refused entry due to inadmissibility, and that they can also be fined.

Yes, they can ask the passenger to reimburse them for any costs incurred, but if the passenger refuses (or is unable to pay), then they would have to go to court to get the money with the extra costs that incurs. Obviously, the airline don't want to do that if they can avoid it.

Sophon

The wife and daughter going to Thailand for 60 days. Both Thai with US citizenship. Both have Thai and US passports. Tried to board Delta with no visa with US passport. NO CAN DO they say.Have to have visa due to round trip longer then 30 days. Ahhh take back US passport hand over Thai passport. You can now travel to Thailand she said with a VERY sour face. Do not try to travel without the visa if round trip longer then 30 days you will be sorry.

If having a valid visa is a pre-requisite of being permitted to board an airplane for a flight to Thailand........................then WHY IS IT NOT a pre-requisite of purchasing the ticket in the first place.

In this on-line age , why do you NOT have to provide a visa number at the time of purchasing the airline ticket. This would prevent all this hoo harr.

As stated before ..............Thailand allows visa exempt entry to certain country's citizens. What you intend to do after your arrival to Thailand is no business of the airline that you arrive on.

As stated, the traveller could extend the entry permit at an immigration office, the traveller could exit Thailand overland , the traveller could purchase a cheaper departure airline ticket inside Thailand than they perhaps could have purchased in their home country................the choices are many and ALL ARE NO BUSINESS OF THE AIRLINE THAT YOU USE TO ARRIVE IN THE COUNTRY. IMO

It is not a pre-requisite to have a valid visa, also on Hull Thai consulate site - '' A tourist visa is required by all persons wishing to visit Thailand for a stay in excess of 30 days. Persons wishing to enter Thailand without a visa can do so for tourist purposes only and they must be in possession of a confirmed international flight ticket to show that they will be exiting Thailand within 30 days of entry. Without such evidence it will be necessary to obtain a tourist visa before embarking on their journey to Thailand.''

• Like 1

I see nothing in the article you refer to that contradicts what IMA_FARANG says. The articles actually confirms that it's the airlines responsibility to carry you out of Thailand should you be refused entry due to inadmissibility, and that they can also be fined.

Yes, they can ask the passenger to reimburse them for any costs incurred, but if the passenger refuses (or is unable to pay), then they would have to go to court to get the money with the extra costs that incurs. Obviously, the airline don't want to do that if they can avoid it.

Sophon

The text is quite specific but of course you are perfectly free to interpret it any way you want, just a bit irresponsible to tell people that your interpretation is the correct one.

post-201813-0-86122900-1451198647_thumb.

The wife and daughter going to Thailand for 60 days. Both Thai with US citizenship. Both have Thai and US passports. Tried to board Delta with no visa with US passport. NO CAN DO they say.Have to have visa due to round trip longer then 30 days. Ahhh take back US passport hand over Thai passport. You can now travel to Thailand she said with a VERY sour face. Do not try to travel without the visa if round trip longer then 30 days you will be sorry.

Hi, did they have an outgoing ticket? In other words, did they have any proof that they would be leaving the country within the first thirty days? What I have going so far for me is that my flight is round trip (so this eliminates them having to foot the bill for me to return, right? Because I already paid for my flight back.) And, I have proof in the form of an airline ticket that I will be leaving Thailand 27 days after my arrival.

Sigh. If this isn't good enough for them I will buy a damn return ticket for 29 days later. I don't care, I am going.

Hi, did they have an outgoing ticket? In other words, did they have any proof that they would be leaving the country within the first thirty days? What I have going so far for me is that my flight is round trip (so this eliminates them having to foot the bill for me to return, right? Because I already paid for my flight back.) And, I have proof in the form of an airline ticket that I will be leaving Thailand 27 days after my arrival.

Sigh. If this isn't good enough for them I will buy a damn return ticket for 29 days later. I don't care, I am going.

No problem since you will have a onward ticket to show. A return ticket is not required.