Thai educational reforms fall flat in 2015

webfact

Is the plan to have the English language standard for the AEC up to scratch by mid- 2016 still on track ?

I'm sure the standard will be at the required level, possibly exceeded, by the appropriate date but will the other member nations be able to match the Thais representatives ability ?

why does everyone in the Thai government look like they just woke up from a week long drinking binge?

police, military. all the same.

look at his face in the photo.

"ok, kiddies, normally the wires are hooked up to your private parts."

"i know nothing about electronics, writing code for computers or robotics so i will just play with this thing from Japan."

Edited by NCC1701A

Well if government forms a committee to evaluate changes to a system then nothing will happen. Nothing will happen as that is why a committee gets formed, their function is to provide the aura of change whilst ensuring nothing actually changes.

Need to watch "Yes Minister" to truly understand the workings of government and the inertia of obfuscation.

Is the plan to have the English language standard for the AEC up to scratch by mid- 2016 still on track ?

I'm sure the standard will be at the required level, possibly exceeded, by the appropriate date but will the other member nations be able to match the Thais representatives ability ?

AEC meetings not very well, I ever hear other pepen not saapeak Angrit good same same Thai.

So where exactly does the Ministry of Education's huge budget go?

Somehow I think you have no idea what their budget is nor do you have any idea what fiscal responsibilities they fund using it.

But yet you feel confident enough to make a comment like that. Clearly their budget was never wasted on you with such a vague and meaningless comment.

I do recall the last government spent a lot of that budget on the Android tablets. How much went down the toilet then ? - but strangely I don't recall you ever complaining about that. See my signature for further guidance.

Man, you always do this. Pouring another bucket of vitriol over some poor guy who makes an obviously humorous jest.

Why does an education minister wear an army uniform to work? They almost all do at the MoE by the way.

It's a Civil Service thing. Thai Civil Servants ( including teachers in government schools) wear these Khaki uniforms with Naval style rank badges - plus the inevitable patachutist wings and two rows of medals (for being first in the Naafi queue). It impresses the underlings. Edited by JAG

Brilliant BBC series - 'Yes Minister' and 'Yes Prime Minister' -

if the contributors on here haven't seen it you really ought -

it says it all and would save youselves a lot of your very valuable time making inane or inappropriate comments!

Written by insiders too I believe.

Nobody really knows, but

"Prayut named General Dapong Ratanasuwan as education minister in place of Admiral Narong Pipatanasai"

suggests that the army is getting more than the navy these days.

Somehow I think you have no idea what their budget is nor do you have any idea what fiscal responsibilities they fund using it.

But yet you feel confident enough to make a comment like that. Clearly their budget was never wasted on you with such a vague and meaningless comment.

I do recall the last government spent a lot of that budget on the Android tablets. How much went down the toilet then ? - but strangely I don't recall you ever complaining about that. See my signature for further guidance.

Doesn't most of it go to pay for houses, cars and mia noi support for MOE officials and school administrators? If you look at their houses and cars, and then look at the condition of the school facilities and teacher salaries, the answer is quite clear.

Whereas I'm quite sure that like all institutions in Thailand graft and corruption are rampant, your statement is just based on supposition and you fail to make the connection between "houses" and the failure of the education reforms. I think you just want to have a dig at Thailand rather than make a contribution to the discussion.

In reality teacher salaries re a pittance and this is compensated to some extent up by easy credit and free housing...this isn turn is abused....as it is a system that is clearly open to abuse ....but hon its own I think any connection with the reforms is rather tenuous.

No, my answer is based upon economic realities and facts. Corruption is estimated to eat up about 60% of MOE's budget. Thailand spends more money per capita than any other country on education. Have you visited many schools to see the deplorable teaching conditions? Classes with 60 students? Teacher starting salaries set at about 8,000 baht per month? School administrators driving around in Benz's? Thailand can't improve its educational system until funding allows for a complete re-training of teachers, manageable classroom sizes and elimination of rote-learning regimens. You must be ridiculously dense if you think proliferating teacher personal debt somehow makes up for slave-wage teacher compensation.

While this article talks about the lack of real achievement with the promised education reform, the same criticism can equally be applied to the rest of Junta-head's house of cards.

Unfortunately, the whole lot is likely to come crashing down at any moment, as the deck is stacked with too many Jokers!

It's appropriate that they promote history classes, because this country is fast becoming "history"!

The key word is "decentralization" This process would really unbung things here. Instead you have one entity pulling all levers of power education everything one string manipulator to make all the marionettes dance. This outmoded way of governing went out with the horse and buggy. For success power should be shared not hoarded.

Education is the last thing they'll ever bother with. Not enough money, quickly enough, at stake.

Not just about the money. Educated students also want promised transparency about prosecution of corruption. And you never know; educated students might want a chance at a good paying job. The worse thing about all of this wanting is it might not lead to "peace and happiness." Maybe it is better children are not educated too much; maybe people who cannot read are more likely to be happy?

Having been into many Thai schools and had conversations with heads and teachers, I believe enough money is being allocated to education, but that there is little budgetary control over how it is spent and not much evaluation of the cost effectiveness of the whole process of education.

Teachers are not allowed to teach about the real history of Thailand

Teachers are discouraged from allowing children to question or carry out independent research

Teachers are not helped in developing their own English language skills or those of their pupils

Teachers are expected to feed a proportion of any budget they spend to school administrators (who may or may not have to pay a commission to the next highest level)

A disproportionate amount of school time is spent on inwards education ( Thainess and Thai culture) rather than outward looking education (world views and comparative religion, ethics and culture)

In politically neutral areas like maths and science, Thai kids don't do too bad. In areas such as languages, research and social studies they are not so much taught as instructed how to think

There is no culture of rigorous evaluation (of students or teachers or administrators) within the Thai education system

The problems are fixable but an educated, free thinking, politically assertive population is not welcome here

Just copy the system from Singapore, how hard can that be?

You can copy their curriculum...copy their books...even translate the lot to Thai. But you can't change the culture of what passes of for 'learning' in this country. Singaporean students work damn hard and leave most Thai students in their dust. They would be embarrassed to have an IELTS score of 7. Thai students would be overjoyed laugh.png

Speaking from my own experience (without generalizing) the problem lies in the culture and not in the budget, learning goals or whatever else.

Uniforms, Activities nearly every day, competitions that do not make any sense, marching and being taught not to think are the main problems.

Thai-english-teachers who can not build one correct sentence, History Teachers who do not know what 911 stands for, Sport teachers who are doing nothing...constantly, Directors driving a BMW M-Series but acting like little kids and tons of other problems which make it nearly impossible for any student to get anything good out of Thai schools.

It is quite sad and the only ones suffering are the students.

This is just my own experience and I do not want to generalize.

Edited by speddy411

The keen observations of elgordo38, tuanku, and speddy411 have identified half the problem (that the public education system in Thailand is failing the students).

The other half of the problem (which, is perhaps more damning of this system), is that no one will listen! And, I include parents in this criticism too (as they are just as responsible)!

Reform is not enough, the whole system needs a veritable revolution!

post-209291-14507388710392_thumb.jpg

Do you really think they want an educated population?

No, of course not. An educated population is a real threat to any military or dictatorship rule. History shows this countless times when these type rules have murdered the educated of their country, Nazi, Khmer Rouge and many other regimes where genocide has been directed on religious and educated lines.

Good question!

Usually an educated mass leads to an empowered mass.

Do they want an empowered mass?

To breed critical thinking skills requires debate.

That isn't going to happen at the moment and for a very good reason in the eyes of the government.

They need this time to develop their own critical thinking skills, worldliness and sense of public service.

Good question!

Usually an educated mass leads to an empowered mass.

Do they want an empowered mass?

To breed critical thinking skills requires debate.

That isn't going to happen at the moment and for a very good reason in the eyes of the government.

They need this time to develop their own critical thinking skills, worldliness and sense of public service.

Have you ever seen a farmer with an IPod? Nope? That ain't going to happen.

While this article talks about the lack of real achievement with the promised education reform, the same criticism can equally be applied to the rest of Junta-head's house of cards.

Unfortunately, the whole lot is likely to come crashing down at any moment, as the deck is stacked with too many Jokers!

It's appropriate that they promote history classes, because this country is fast becoming "history"!

You think education reform in Thailand can be done overnight ? cheesy.gif.

It is the job of the next proper government to do that. The military are not qualified for this sort of thing. They did their job by removing the murdering cronies - but now it needs real politicians to run a country.

I can tell you are just using it as any excuse to whinge at the Junta which makes your opinion worthless. How about wondering why it is in so much need of reform after Thaksin the poor mans savior took such good care of his people for so many years ??????.

The deck already came tumbling down, You are watching the whole house being rebuilt.

EJ...makes me laugh.