Proof of address for 5 year license

Kenny202

My first 1 year temporary license is about to expire. I remember last time I had to beg borrow and steal to get a letter from the Amphur confirming my address. I've recently moved to another province. Will my 2 year rent contract (recently signed) be good enough as proof of address or do I need to get another letter from Amphur or immigration?

Mrs rang them this morning. From what I can gather rental contract not good enough. Unbelievable. I go to immigration, cost me 500 baht for a letter as proof of address, when they have no real clue of where I live...Only what I tell them. Does any government department here ever ask why?

Take a deep breath and accept the absurdity of this country's bureaucracy.

I was fortunate that my yellow house book was accepted (not in Khon Kaen city but at the DLT in district town).

Edited by KhunBENQ

One of the below are the normal ways they require proof of address.

1. Letter of residence from immigration (0-500 Baht depending on office)

2. Letter from embassy/consulate ($50USD or similar depending on country)

3. Yellow tambian bahn (Usually a few baht to obtain but can be complicated to do)

4. Work permit.

Got to renew my 5 year license by next week, a letter from the Amphur is fine, but you need to take the local headman with you = no problem, went to see my local headman at his home last night, we are going tomorrow at 10 am..

done it the same way for the past 3x ..... if it is the same as 5 years ago will be in and out with letter within 10 mins.

​then to the Hospital for the medical certificate, then go in the afternoon for renewing the license. [ tip go about 30 mins before they close = max time to see the silly Video is 10 mins]

bureaucracy yes, I have been on the Amphur's Computer since 2004, just every 2 year the head of the Amphur changes, staff are still the same.

Got to renew my 5 year license by next week, a letter from the Amphur is fine, but you need to take the local headman with you = no problem, went to see my local headman at his home last night, we are going tomorrow at 10 am..

done it the same way for the past 3x ..... if it is the same as 5 years ago will be in and out with letter within 10 mins.

​then to the Hospital for the medical certificate, then go in the afternoon for renewing the license. [ tip go about 30 mins before they close = max time to see the silly Video is 10 mins]

bureaucracy yes, I have been on the Amphur's Computer since 2004, just every 2 year the head of the Amphur changes, staff are still the same.

You don't need a medical certificate to renew a driver license.

Yes that is what I read........ my Thai friend phoned them to ask they said yes you do.. !!??

So no idea + was not any communication problems as all in Thai by a Thai person..

Edit: Anyone 65 or over needed a Medical Certificate at Nonthaburi in the last few weeks ?

Edited by ignis

Well went and did the deed yesterday. Renewing my first year temporary license. Got my 5 year license but took all day. What a pss around. They seem to go out of their way to run you around. I thought I had everything sorted but nup. First mistake we picked this dog faced horrible cow in the transport office. Rest of the people there were lovely. She was answering questions with one word answers then head down, back to facebook or whatever she was doing ie go away and leave me alone. So......my rental agreement not good enough as proof of address and she said we needed to go and get a letter from immigration as proof of address and "smart card" photos for the license. And......said I needed to get a medical even though numerous people have suggested no medical for license renewal (I'm 52 yo). There was no arguing about it either. Funny thing is....I didn't produce anything to immigration as proof of address. They only wrote on the form the address I told them. So off we go to immigration. Luckily on the way we found a photo shop and doctors clinic right next door. Photos and medical done in 20 minutes too easy. So off to immigration. No good. Can't just issue us a letter. We need to get some form form the transport department which the cow conveniently forgot to give us. So back to the transport department. Pss around again. To get the form for immigration needed to give transport a signed copy of my passport for reasons best known to themselves. I signed it with a red pen in the car (only pen we had) while my missus ran in. No good. I needed to go in and sign in blue. Get the form, back to immigration. Woman in the office insisted 500 baht for the letter. No use arguing. Back to transport department. Wasn't too bad then I guess although we waited over an hour. Could have been worse. We were number 130 and they were only at 80. As someone else stated afternoon....I reckon about 2.30 best. They seem to want to knock off about 4 so they really start ripping through the waiting list after 3 ish. Didn't need the photos either they take your photo at the transport office so don't know why she insisted on that apart from her own amusement. Anyway got my license but don't take anything for granted written here re requirements. Depends on the office you go (me Khon Kaen) and more importantly the person you're dealing with. Yes I could have argued and insisted etc but really don't think it would do me any good. I think next time I have to deal with a "service" department (How ironic) and need to take papers I will deliberately "forget" something like copy of passport etc I can easily go outside and come back with. They don't seem to be happy unless they can find something wrong and run you around all day.

Edited by Kenny202

They don't seem to be happy unless they can find something wrong and run you around all day.

Don't feel too bad. Thai people suffer from the same bureaucracy too. Just more familiar with the rules !

Familiar with which rules you mean? The ones that are made up by an individual officer at certain LTDP offices ?

If you are an American citizen, you can get proof of address at the US embassy. They have a form for it and I've used it for both my 1 and 5 year licenses and another time when I had to get a replacement license. Maybe other embassies have a similar service. I don't know

If you are an American citizen, you can get proof of address at the US embassy. They have a form for it and I've used it for both my 1 and 5 year licenses and another time when I had to get a replacement license. Maybe other embassies have a similar service. I don't know

Depends where you live...

For sure if you live in Bangkok.......... + UK Embassy charges something like 2,600 baht for the service..!! + over 100 km to travel for me + parking fees etc.

Immigration is ready when they feel like it, and can cost 500 baht if you want it same or next day... last time I used Immigration [ then off Saturn Rd] was years ago.. so say they could only send it by mail, so that was extra + it took 3 weeks..!

Local Amphur cost nothing and takes all of 10 mins. [50 baht to Local Village Headman to sign papers at the Amphur] + 6 km travel and free parking

Local Amphur for me free first time, second time 200 baht and he complained said I should get a yellow book. Ok what do I need to get a yellow book? Bring 4 people ...teachers, doctor, service person etc plus poo jai ban. ...all sit down for 4 hours at a time that's convenient for the Amphur head and we have an interview. "I don't think I can find 4 officials that will be able to take a day off and travel 30k to appear for me" and wen is a convenient time? Not sure. Forget about it. I think he thought he was granting me residency or something

Yes that is what I read........ my Thai friend phoned them to ask they said yes you do.. !!??

So no idea + was not any communication problems as all in Thai by a Thai person..

Edit: Anyone 65 or over needed a Medical Certificate at Nonthaburi in the last few weeks ?

This is Thailand, every government department makes up it's own rules.

Well went and did the deed yesterday. Renewing my first year temporary license. Got my 5 year license but took all day. What a pss around. They seem to go out of their way to run you around. I thought I had everything sorted but nup. First mistake we picked this dog faced horrible cow in the transport office. Rest of the people there were lovely. She was answering questions with one word answers then head down, back to facebook or whatever she was doing ie go away and leave me alone. So......my rental agreement not good enough as proof of address and she said we needed to go and get a letter from immigration as proof of address and "smart card" photos for the license. And......said I needed to get a medical even though numerous people have suggested no medical for license renewal (I'm 52 yo). There was no arguing about it either. Funny thing is....I didn't produce anything to immigration as proof of address. They only wrote on the form the address I told them. So off we go to immigration. Luckily on the way we found a photo shop and doctors clinic right next door. Photos and medical done in 20 minutes too easy. So off to immigration. No good. Can't just issue us a letter. We need to get some form form the transport department which the cow conveniently forgot to give us. So back to the transport department. Pss around again. To get the form for immigration needed to give transport a signed copy of my passport for reasons best known to themselves. I signed it with a red pen in the car (only pen we had) while my missus ran in. No good. I needed to go in and sign in blue. Get the form, back to immigration. Woman in the office insisted 500 baht for the letter. No use arguing. Back to transport department. Wasn't too bad then I guess although we waited over an hour. Could have been worse. We were number 130 and they were only at 80. As someone else stated afternoon....I reckon about 2.30 best. They seem to want to knock off about 4 so they really start ripping through the waiting list after 3 ish. Didn't need the photos either they take your photo at the transport office so don't know why she insisted on that apart from her own amusement. Anyway got my license but don't take anything for granted written here re requirements. Depends on the office you go (me Khon Kaen) and more importantly the person you're dealing with. Yes I could have argued and insisted etc but really don't think it would do me any good. I think next time I have to deal with a "service" department (How ironic) and need to take papers I will deliberately "forget" something like copy of passport etc I can easily go outside and come back with. They don't seem to be happy unless they can find something wrong and run you around all day.

and yet some people still say we are "guests" in this country.sad.png

I go out of my way to be respectful and polite but seem to keep striking these types in government offices. They are so muvh more priveledged than the poor buggers farming for 200 baht a day, never had a chance or opportunity. Looks like they hate their job and hate everyone that passes through it Thai or farang. Must be a horrible long day with an attitude like that

Mrs rang them this morning. From what I can gather rental contract not good enough. Unbelievable. I go to immigration, cost me 500 baht for a letter as proof of address, when they have no real clue of where I live...Only what I tell them. Does any government department here ever ask why?

Have you ever considered the nature of that 500 baht fee for a 'free' proof of address from immigration? Is anyone going to 'rock the boat'? No? OK, case close.

"Move along folks, nothing to see here."

Edited by connda

Local Amphur for me free first time, second time 200 baht and he complained said I should get a yellow book. Ok what do I need to get a yellow book? Bring 4 people ...teachers, doctor, service person etc plus poo jai ban. ...all sit down for 4 hours at a time that's convenient for the Amphur head and we have an interview. "I don't think I can find 4 officials that will be able to take a day off and travel 30k to appear for me" and wen is a convenient time? Not sure. Forget about it. I think he thought he was granting me residency or something

I took me 1/2 hour here in our Amphur in Lamphun. However, TIT. Your mileage may vary. wink.png

They don't seem to be happy unless they can find something wrong and run you around all day.

Don't feel too bad. Thai people suffer from the same bureaucracy too. Just more familiar with the rules !

I do understand that. It's disgusting the way they down talk and mistreat their own people. I often wonder if we wouldnt be treated differently if my missus wasn't a dark village Thai. It's like back to school here, everyone enforcing their place in the pecking order. Things will change one day and these govt workers will be answerable for their actions. I have a postal worker living in our high so estate here? Postie back home be lucky to clear 600 a week! Edited by Kenny202

Have you ever considered the nature of that 500 baht fee for a 'free' proof of address from immigration? Is anyone going to 'rock the boat'? No? OK, case close.

"Move along folks, nothing to see here."

Yes of course. I consider it tea money...same as I donate on the motorway. Yeah i could argue and possibly win the day but the last people I need a long standing feud with is immigration

One of the below are the normal ways they require proof of address.

1. Letter of residence from immigration (0-500 Baht depending on office)

2. Letter from embassy/consulate ($50USD or similar depending on country)

3. Yellow tambian bahn (Usually a few baht to obtain but can be complicated to do)

4. Work permit.

Nbr two: my form for income verification has my thai address; is that good enough for retirement extension address ?

I just upgraded from a 1 year to a 5 year DL. All I brought were copies of my lease. They were accepted no problem here in Chon Buri (Patttaya) office.

I am presuming you mean Immigration accepted it and gave you a residency certificate for x baht?

Which you then used at the Licensing centre at Regents along with the rest of the photo copies............?

I went yesterday. I took a medical certificate and she handed it back and said I didn't need it. I used my work permit as proof of residency. This was a mistake. She sent me back to copy all pages twice. Each time start at the back of the queue. Third time one page not clear enough, I complained that I had waited in the queue for 3 hrs now and she allowed me to take the final copy to the window jumping the third queue.

I then waited to have my pic taken and when I sat ready she asked for my yellow slip with proof of tax paid. I complained that it had nothing to do with paid up tax and she took my pic and continued. All in all 6 hr wait for renewal of licence.