Nam's Motorbike For Rent was closed (by police ?). How to return the bike and get back my deposit?

April11

I rented a motorbike for a week at Nam's rent office. It's on the corner of Thepprasit anfd Thappraya.

The firm looked solid and even has its own web site - www.rentmotorbikepattaya.com.

But when I came back to return my motorbike I found the offce being closed and and nobody inside.

Nobody answered my phone calls and text messages. I asked local people nearby and they told me than office was closed by police and I cannot get back my deposit because police arrested all money. They suggested also to leave the motorbike with keys outside the office on pavement.

So 1000 baht deposit is sufficient amount of money for me and I'd like not to lost it.

I'm also afraid to drop motorbike just like that - what if someone steals it?

What to do?

Need some advice. Please help.

Try going to the police station and enquire

This is one thing I also thought of (expect a bit of a runaround though, nothing is ever straightforward when dealing with officialdom in Thailand).

Another thing I would suggest is taking a few time and dated photos of the bike in front of the office (with a witness in the photos and clearly showing the condition of the bike) and e-mailing them to the company explaining that you are trying to return the bike.

If you are continuing to stay in Pattaya tell them you will keep hold of the bike (at no extra cost or liability to yourself) until they contact you. (You'll be surprised how quickly Thai's will contact you when there's money involved)!

If you need to leave Pattaya, and have someone you know / trust, you could ask them to hold onto the bike based on the above conditions.

If you can't do any of the above, take it to the police station, explain the situation, leave the keys with them, walk out and forget about it (and your 1k THB).

If the latter is your only option, try to obtain a police report to save any future problems.

Edited by Woody1

do they have your passport ?

I would think not, don't you, unless the OP has got his / her priorities completely wrong!

Only asking as a lot of these rental joints insist on the passport.

I know what you mean, but that practice hasn't really gone on for years at most places, if not all.

It's normally a photocopy of license or passport these days as most people aren't stupid enough to deposit their passport.

Also, as a foreigner you are required by law to carry your passport at all times in Thailand (I know very few would actually do this), and your DL would be required whilst driving.

I would think not, don't you, unless the OP has got his / her priorities completely wrong!

I know what you mean, but that practice hasn't really gone on for years at most places, if not all.

It's normally a photocopy of license or passport these days as most people aren't stupid enough to deposit their passport.

Also, as a foreigner you are required by law to carry your passport at all times in Thailand (I know very few would actually do this), and your DL would be required whilst driving.

Ahh the old must carry passport myth.

Try going to the police station and enquire

Indeed and take the bike with you.

If the saying is that police closed the shop then they should hopefully know.

There is good chance that they confiscate it and lock it up on the well know yards like any other bike illegally parked or the like.

AND: of course not leave the bike with keys on the roadside!!!

Say farewell to the 1000 Baht.

File a police report if you fancy.

Must have been a harsh action that they didn't even have time to put a sign with "what to do, whom to contact" instructions.

Edited by KhunBENQ

Ahh the old must carry passport myth.

I know what you mean, but I also know someone who spent hours in Soi 9 until his better half could be contacted, and present the passport at the police station.

You'd be surprised how many laws there are in Thailand, it's just that they're only enforced when it suits.

No. They made a copy of it.

Have you tried to return it at Nam's second location on soi 7 in Jomtien?

http://www.google.com/maps/place/N12.89671%C2%BA%20E100.87117%C2%BA/@12.89671,100.87117,16z

I checked it at 9 PM. No life. But they worked until 7 PM, so I'll try tomorrow. Little hope.

If you are continuing to stay in Pattaya tell them you will keep hold of the bike (at no extra cost or liability to yourself) until they contact you. (You'll be surprised how quickly Thai's will contact you when there's money involved)!

I have to do visa-run on 5-6 January. So I have some time.

To compensate somehow those 1000 baht I decided to hold and use the bike for about 10 days (I paid 590 for a week).

If there is no news during that time I'm going to leave bike at a police station on beach road near Central Festival.

I hope they won't ask for my driver license (I have category B, not A) and give me some kind of receipt. Just in case.

Thanks for everybody,

You were very helpful!

...and before you hand over the keys, take many dated photos to show them its still in good condition. If the Police, don't give you a receipt, again, take photos of you leaving the bike at the station and the man taking it in. Email the lot to their email address.

Here is the end of the story.

After a week had passed two notes in Thai appeared on the office door.

One of them said than this rent shop was closed for good. And another was something about Banglamung Police.

So I rode my bike to the Banglamung Police station . It's on Sukhumvit road and about 3 km to the North from North road.

I told them that I want to return bike and showed papers and photos of the door notes. They almost didn't speak any English

and were sending me from one room to another, from floor to floor. It looked like nobody wanted to take any responsibility.

At last some middle boss policemen told a clerk girl to take the bike. I hand her keys and a contract. Took a couple of pictures of the bike with the girl and the Police station. They didn't give any receipt. So I'm going to email those photos to the owner.

post-150263-0-38161200-1451408127_thumb.

post-150263-0-66686900-1451408136_thumb.

Edited by April11

What law ?

>>What law ? <<..their Law ,that they make up as they go along .I dont carry my Passport around but do have a Thai driving license which satisfies most requirements .

Edited by anto

B560 for a week ?No wonder they went out of business .Somebody said that they had another branch in soi 7 ?did you try that ?

I hesitated to speculate so far, but as this looks really fishy:

A while ago (six days before the OP) Banglamung police busted eight drug dealers.

The reports said that (besides cash, cars, CCs, misc. bank accounts etc.) about a 100 motorcycles were confiscated that were "rented out to individuals".

Maybe related.

http://pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/219915/8-suspected-pattaya-drug-dealers-caught-by-banglamung-police/

A further 100 motorbikes, which have been rented out to private individuals are also set to be seized.
Edited by KhunBENQ

Day before yesterday I walked past Nam's on the way to FoodMart. There were two signs on the front door with two names & phone numbers. One sign was about returning a bike and the other sign was about how to get your deposit back.

I thought about posting then, but figured the OP had sorted it all out by now.