How to grow longkong?

fruitman

On internet i read that longkong likes to grow in shade between duriantree's.

I have a new tree which i want to grow but i got confused by this story from mr Duzon from the phillipines. My longkongtree is grafted and about 150cm tall.

http://www.dizonexoticfruittrees.com/lanzones/

In just two years, the grafted scion will bear high quality Longkong fruits. While Paete lanzones thrives best in partially shaded areas, Longkong can be planted without shading provided that there is adequate irrigation especially during summer.

Do the Thai grow their longkongs in full sun or in the shade? I have never seen a longkongtree with fruit in Thailand that's why i ask you guys.

Edited by fruitman

Thanks for your help but longkong is not longan.

Longkong tastes much better imo. They taste like bitterlemon with much extra sugar.

Today the tree got some dappled sun and immediatly started wilting so i guess it's not ready for sun yet.

Try longkongs if you see them on the markets, they always look a bit moulded but that doesn't matter. Don't bite the pits though, they are bitter. They are not in season now by the way.

https://www.google.co.th/search?q=longkong&rlz=1C1CHWL_nlTH663TH663&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiuldXdkvnJAhXBTY4KHaYeBpoQsAQIGg&biw=1366&bih=643

Longon won't grow here in my part of Isaan, Lamyai will.

I see, what makes you think so by the way? Did you try to grow them?

I read they need water all year around, maybe that was the problem? Or maybe the sun was too strong or hot?

If you have enough water you can try to grow them, small grafted tree's are not so expensive. Maybe it works if you grow them in shade. When they are in season there are big mountains of them on the market and cost like 40-60 baht a kg. I just like to grow it for fun.

Oh and what are you talking about actually? Longan or Longkong? I never heard of longon.

Edited by fruitman

I read they need water all year around, maybe that was the problem? Or maybe the sun was too strong or hot?

If you have enough water you can try to grow them, small grafted tree's are not so expensive. Maybe it works if you grow them in shade. When they are in season there are big mountains of them on the market and cost like 40-60 baht a kg. I just like to grow it for fun.

Oh and what are you talking about actually? Longan or Longkong? I never heard of longon.

Don't be silly, you know what I am talking about.

Yes I have tried to grow it, it doesn't work around here. They got shade and water. Lam yai ok, Durian with a bit of care, I even manage to grow peppercorn. Longon nobody grows around here. What's to dispute? You can't grow everything everywhere in Thailand, which is a fact some people seem to go into denial about.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes I have tried to grow it, it doesn't work around here. They got shade and water. Lam yai ok, Durian with a bit of care, I even manage to grow peppercorn. Longon nobody grows around here. What's to dispute? You can't grow everything everywhere in Thailand, which is a fact some people seem to go into denial about.

What i see in Thailand is that somebody plants a tree and then neglects it, when it's dead they say it's impossible to grow that fruittree in their area.

Longkong tree's are not so expensive for a small grafted one. I heard they are not available in some provinces, just like rambutan or chomphu's so i would try it again if i lived there.

In BKK longkong is a cheap fruit but i like them. Also they look great when the tree has big bunches of them hanging on the trunk.

But the problem in BKK is that land is expensive and might flood again one day.

What i see in Thailand is that somebody plants a tree and then neglects it, when it's dead they say it's impossible to grow that fruittree in their area.

Longkong tree's are not so expensive for a small grafted one. I heard they are not available in some provinces, just like rambutan or chomphu's so i would try it again if i lived there.

In BKK longkong is a cheap fruit but i like them. Also they look great when the tree has big bunches of them hanging on the trunk.

But the problem in BKK is that land is expensive and might flood again one day.

That amounts to a f***ing insult.

Lamyai grows very well around here.

Longon doesn't.

I have been a professional gardener all my life and I do look after plants that I have taken the trouble to buy and plant. Some stuff is not available because nobody will buy it because they know it doesn't grow. Strawberries very barely work where I am, and I don't know of anyone else around here that grows pepper corns as I do. Thirty miles away from here they can grow stuff that I can't.

You don't live in Thailand? And you dictate to people about their presumed laziness? Go forth and multiply.