What do you always bring back with you when you visit home?

jonesyb

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Vegemite. You will have to settle for Marmite.

As an American I can never see the reasons one would enjoy Vegemite. It can knock a buzzard off a shit wagon at 30 meters.

As a Brit, I've never understood why anyone would want a weaker, watered-down version of Marmite.

As a Belgian, I can still remember something that happened about 35 years ago in NZ.

Belgians are raised on chocolate and chocolate spread, and when Kiwis invited me for a meal, I mistook the vegemite for chocolate spread.

Thick layer.

Big mistake.

I like to bring back things culinary that will last a while like spices or kitchen tools. Things that last maybe a few weeks like cheese or salami for me take up space and weight for other things.Last time I brought back a cast iron frying pan that I use all the time -- 2.5 kilos of meat or cheese wouldn't last but a few weeks. If I can't buy it at TOPS or Makro then I just don't bother

lodge-skillet.jpg

And as a Yank, Brit or Belgian -- what's the big difference?

Brits have an English accent.

Unless they're Scottish. Or Welsh. Or Irish.

I was talking about real British.

And Irish? Let's not turn this into a discussion about the occupied territories, but I do hope that after Brexit, the EU will enforce the same labelling rules that now apply to the Westbank.

And Irish? Let's not turn this into a discussion about the occupied territories, but I do hope that after Brexit, the EU will enforce the same labelling rules that now apply to the Westbank.

You think Scottish people aren't really British?

Yanks have a bunch of states with population bigger than Belgium -- you can't really expect us to keep all'a them little countries straight, do you?

Oh?

I thought it has always been part of the official US foreign policy to keep all other countries straight.

Whatever straight may mean.

You think Scottish people aren't really British?

They don't have an English accent, do they?

And they don't vote for that hiso party that rules Britain.

And on a slightly more serious note: Are the Northern Irish British? What does "UK" mean? Isn't there an "AND" in the full name?

Yanks have a bunch of states with population bigger than Belgium -- you can't really expect us to keep all'a them little countries straight, do you?

Oh?

I thought it has always been part of the official US foreign policy to keep all other countries straight.

How did we go from Cheesy Underwear to politics in two posts? On second thought, politicians certainly fall under the Cheesy Underwear category.

Vegemite. You will have to settle for Marmite.

As an American I can never see the reasons one would enjoy Vegemite. It can knock a buzzard off a shit wagon at 30 meters.

As a Brit, I've never understood why anyone would want a weaker, watered-down version of Marmite.

As a Belgian, I can still remember something that happened about 35 years ago in NZ.

Belgians are raised on chocolate and chocolate spread, and when Kiwis invited me for a meal, I mistook the vegemite for chocolate spread.

Thick layer.

Big mistake.

cheesy.gif LOL!! Reminds me when I first moved to Tokyo and couldn't yet read Japanese. I bought a jar of what I thought was chocolate and spooned it over ice cream for my kids. It turned out to be Bean Paste. I still laugh when I think of the faces my kids made when the first tasted the Ice-Cream Sunday I made.

Oh?

How did we go from Cheesy Underwear to politics in two posts? On second thought, politicians certainly fall under the Cheesy Underwear category.

Just because I like to bring back shelf-stable Velveeta from USA because it may be 3-4 days in transit before I reach home in Thailand, I had my cheese culinary credentials challenged even though I never said that Velveeta was ALL that I ever eat. I wasn't paying too much attention as I was listening to the NFL football on the internet radio and suggested such insult was proffered by a Brit. My mistake. A Belgian.

http://www.homesicktexan.com/2008/04/more-natural-chile-con-queso.html

Edited by JLCrab

I like to bring back things culinary that will last a while like spices or kitchen tools. Things that last maybe a few weeks like cheese or salami for me take up space and weight for other things.

Noticed you mentioned salami, as I have found Foodland's selection of salami's behind the deli counter to be excellent. One less foul smelling luxury good to schlep around with my clothing

Edited by impulse

Just because I like to bring back shelf-stable Velveeta from USA because it may be 3-4 days in transit before I reach home in Thailand, I had my cheese culinary credentials challenged even though I never said that Velveeta was ALL that I ever eat. I wasn't paying too much attention as I was listening to the NFL football on the internet radio and suggested such insult was proffered by a Brit. My mistake. A Belgian.

I decided to be adventurous and tried the link.

So Mexicans and Texans eat Velveeta.

The best part of the article was when they explained how to pronounce "queso".

I kid you not! The article says: "kay-so".

Only in America!

Oh?

Good Culinary credentials offers a broad spectrum of tastes as well as creating tasty dishes from common ingredients. As an American, I grew up on Kraft's Velveeta Cheese. It is unto itself and there is no other ingredient quite like it. Some of the tastiest melted cheese sandwiches (especially with smoked bacon and ripe beefsteak tomatoes), pan grilled in creamy butter, still adorns my table from time to time. You will ALWAYS find a large container of Velveeta cheese in my refrigerator whether in the USA or here in Thailand.

It also melts well and when mixed with some marinated jalapino peppers and assorted spices, makes a fantastic Taco Chip dip.

A quick omelette using Velveeta is also quite tasty. The convenience of Velveeta Cheese is that it has a very long shelf life, is convenient and relatively inexpensive compared to real cheeses. Please note that I never would consider it a replacement for the excellent fine cheeses that are available. Rather that it has a place and serves a useful function as well as offering a tasty addition to some foods.

Who keeps cheese long enough to care about the shelf life?

Seriously. They're seemingly not even allowed to label the stuff as cheese. That alone should tell you all you need to know.

Surely, mentioning Velveeta in a conversation about cheese must breach several Forum rules?

If we let this pass, I predict that one day somebody will mention Heineken in a beer thread.

We have to act NOW!

Full moon at Xmas is a sign!.

Seriously. They're seemingly not even allowed to label the stuff as cheese. That alone should tell you all you need to know.

Surely, mentioning Velveeta in a conversation about cheese must breach several Forum rules?

If we let this pass, I predict that one day somebody will mention Heineken in a beer thread.

We have to act NOW!

Full moon at Xmas is a sign!.

LOL! You have to understand that in the Mid-West they put Velveeta Cheese and Cheese Whiz in the Gourmet section. Perhaps that will give you an idea. cheesy.gif

It is far more difficult finding Velveeta Cheese and Cheese Whiz in New York or California anywhere near the Cheese section.

Shelf life is important when the cheese will spend up to 5 days un-refrigerated in your check-in baggage USA to home refrigerator in Thailand. I tried it and watched several blocks of Cabot cheddar turn into a gooey mess.

I lived for several years in the early 1970's about 10 KM from these people in Marin County north of San Francisco in the same location since 1865 --

History.jpg

Cheeez Whiz and Velveeta ain't the same but --

Edited by JLCrab

It appears that the two items that are mostly brought back to Thailand are Cheese and Underwear. There really has to be a joke in there somewhere. cheesy.gif

There's plenty underwear in Thailand but not the tent sizes. So don't eat too much cheese whistling.gif

I'm still lucky i fit size xxl Thai underwear and it's ALWAYS in the sale for 50% off.

Central Westgate has a very luxe Tops in the basement. Loads of tea, mustards, mackerell from Norway, cod, Belgium beers , sauces and much more. I even saw a whole parmiggiano cheese there.