What do you always bring back with you when you visit home?

jonesyb

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Pigeonjake has similar taste,,, but Yorkshire tea for me, Bisto, Scottish shortbread (so expensive here), lemsip and the last time we were over in October we also brought back a few of the tubs of fray bentos steak pudding which I hadn't seen before and were quite nice if compared to what's available here,, oh sometimes I come back with a shiny new passport using the express option but still have enough pages on both of them to last maybe another 2 years

the wifebiggrin.png

Next time, why not spice up your life a bit? Leave her there and get a new one when you get back.
Yeah, bringing your wife to Thailand is like taking sand to the beach.

Not really. Your sand analogy implies a great many interchangeable items. To most people, 'wife' implies the one person in particular they want to share their life with above all others. Hardly the same thing.

If your wife is just one of a million interchangeable women, why did you marry her?

the wifebiggrin.png

Next time, why not spice up your life a bit? Leave her there and get a new one when you get back.
Yeah, bringing your wife to Thailand is like taking sand to the beach.
Not really. Your sand analogy implies a great many interchangeable items. To most people, 'wife' implies the one person in particular they want to share their life with above all others. Hardly the same thing.

If your wife is just one of a million interchangeable women, why did you marry her?

Wives are like boats, they're nice, but it is better to have a buddy that has one you can just use when you want.

Wooden clothes pegs.

Instead of the plastic ones you get in Thailand which break up with UV exposure and leave rust stains on your clothes.

On my list for next trip (along with the Velveeta) --HomeDepot has 'em in USA.

41uSdu8foJL._SY300_.jpg

I carried back a couple-of-packs of these, from the UK, but then discovered them also for sale in Tesco-Lotus ! rolleyes.gif

My German friend brings German made tools with him and electric drills , grinders , saws etc as the quality of even German branded tools (Bosch) in Thailand is not as good ,

But also quality drill bits etc

He has also brought back quality kitchen appliances that he still had back in Germany ,

He is Gold card so gets 3 heavy bags each trip :)

My German friend brings German made tools with him and electric drills , grinders , saws etc as the quality of even German branded tools (Bosch) in Thailand is not as good ,

But also quality drill bits etc

He has also brought back quality kitchen appliances that he still had back in Germany ,

He is Gold card so gets 3 heavy bags each trip smile.png

Yes quality power tools are hard to find in Thailand, they only have old models for double or triple price.

I have also brought them.

Kitchen appliances are poor quality in Thailand, even from the good European brands, they have b-grade here..

I think the power tools here are a pretty good value, cutting tools and hand tools not so much.

Only Maktec is worth the money but buy it new, it even costs more in the 2nd hand shops.

Maktec is for hobby though, pro's buy Makita and Thailand has the 18V machines since last year and far not the whole line. Mostly Makita in Thailand are very old models.

Hitachi is rare here but makita is better.

Festool is almost not available but that's what real carpenters swear by.

Thai wood is never cut straight, smooth or in a 90 degree angle.

Bosch pro (the grey ones) they have but not much. Bosch green is also not very good but good for hobby.

Black and decker is very bad but cheap.

Hilti is also not here but that's cheap in Hongkong. I met many Europeans in the hilti shop there.

So which ones do you consider good value?

Edited by Thian

marine grade stainless steel self tapping screws I would bring, cannot get 'em here

some new Bosch power tools are widely available in Europe (not in LoS)

proper tooth picks I would bring, have never seen proper tooth picks in LoS

marine grade stainless steel torx screws I would bring, advanced screw/bolt shops in BKK don't even know what they are

canned cod roe

pickled herring

some decent single malts

(since we're talking about UK) couple of NASA Battery Monitors

ample supply of guineas

a bidet. or back to wiping your $#@ with paper and praying the paper is thick enough so you don't get fecal matter on you. This is one of the few times where I think Thailand is more sanity and a bit ahead of the times than the U.S. What moron designed toilet paper? It's less sanitary and wastes paper...