Immigration's Impact on my Driver's License Process and Result

captnhoy

Last year I renewed my Thai temporary automobile driver's license and was issued the 5 year license. Since I was all warmed up to the process I also got my first issue - temporary - motorcycle license. A few days ago I went through the process of renewing that. During 4 cycles of issuing temporary then permanent licenses, the immigration office will not issue a certificate of residence unless the transportation dept sends a letter to immigration requesting said certificate. So I have to go to the license office to initiate this and then come back a week later to continue the licensing process.

How smooth does this interdepartmental transaction work? Last year the transport office said they never recieved the document and I had to go back to immigration and they gave one directly to me. But not immediately - I had to come back for it. So this week on the 4th cycle of license issue I'm all finished and the guy hands me the new license. Another person cheerfully remarks "see you in 5 years". The guy who did the photo interjects "no, see you in 2 years". When I asked the reason the short answer was "because you are on a tourist visa". I let them know that I'm in on an extension based on retirement. The guy hauls out the letter from Immigration and it stated in the letter that the transport office should issue the license for 2 years. Is this new policy? A quirk? Or was I just lucky to get the auto license issued for 5 years last year? Anyone else had this outcome? Am I whining? Well I'm not happy about the huge amount of time and effort it takes - but I'm also reporting.

General rule: on tourist visa temporary license, on non-immigrant visa or extension of stay: 5 year license.

Regarding your issues with certificate of residence: strange behaviour from your immigration office.

Similar situationl in KKaen but there I had to go to the motor vehicle office and get a form, take it for certification at the Imm office and then back to the vehicle place. Then, they gave me a 2 year cycle liscense--BUT, it clearly says TEMPORARY on it.

There was no issue about a I-O visa,extension, as I'm no tourist.

I think they just run the mcycle program differently; in any event I guess they did what they think is correct. BTW, no change in the auto registration same week from temp to regular.

Similar situationl in KKaen but there I had to go to the motor vehicle office and get a form, take it for certification at the Imm office and then back to the vehicle place. Then, they gave me a 2 year cycle liscense--BUT, it clearly says TEMPORARY on it.

I think they just run the mcycle program differently; in any event I guess they did what they think is correct. BTW, no change in the auto registration same week from temp to regular.

First application is always temporary license.

First application is always temporary license.

Is that cause you may not live past the first year driving in Thailand?

Kartman - Ranong

MiclB, yes it sounds like maybe from your experience that the 2 year on the motorcycle is the norm. And Stevenl, my 2 year, 2nd issue license is also marked as Temporary. I think that is what Miclb is saying too.

Kartman - Ranong

MiclB, yes it sounds like maybe from your experience that the 2 year on the motorcycle is the norm. And Stevenl, my 2 year, 2nd issue license is also marked as Temporary. I think that is what Miclb is saying too.

Yes, 2 year license is always called temporary. And for a 5 year license a non immigrant visa or extension of stay is required, on tourist visa always a temporary license will/should be issued.

Just to clarify there is no tourist visa in this story.

It was a first application, correct?

Do not have problems reading/understanding, the OP ... so cannot make out most of the replies !

He clearly states that he got the temporary M/C licence last year, and he has gone back for the full licence, only to be issued with a 2 year licence.+ loads of messing about with Immigration letter...........

Likewise he also state very clearly...... I let them know that I'm in on an extension based on retirement..

I don't bother with the Immigration, and go to the local Amphur, for the paperwork. today was my 3rd 5 year Licence, normal is in out in 10 mins as all she has to do is look me up on the System. change the date, print and get the Boss + the Headman of the area to sign, took longer today, forgot Passport number was wrong as I had a new passport since last time.

Thanks for joining in ignis. You are so right. I guess I need to find out if there is a village headman in this mooban as I see that the topic comes up regularly in other threads. After posting one clarification I had decided that some members had a certain technique for boosting their forum posting rate and I further decided not to play.

Thanks for joining in ignis. You are so right. I guess I need to find out if there is a village headman in this mooban as I see that the topic comes up regularly in other threads. After posting one clarification I had decided that some members had a certain technique for boosting their forum posting rate and I further decided not to play.

clap2.gif

I actually think it is because people do not fully read or comprehend but your response was kinder..........coffee1.gif

Archived