Nong Khai to Border/Vientiane

I am going there next week and found this. Looks like it runs regularly and gives you time to clear immigration,

http://www.laos-guide-999.com/thailand-bus.html

Note from the link above to the International Bus to Vientiane:

If you need a Lao visa to enter the county and do not already hold it, there is a good chance that he/she will refuse to sell you tickets. This is because getting the visa at the border takes longer than the buses can wait.

From the Nong Khai bus station, just grab a tuk tuk to the Friendship Bridge. There you'll clear Thai Immigration and catch the bus across the Mekong to the Lao Immigration point. Clear that and grab a taxi on into Vientiane, about baht 300, or a Lao tuk tuk, or if there's one standing by for pax, a Lao bus.

Mac

I used to take the train to the Nong Khai train station. How would I get from the train station to the bridge? Walk.

At the Nong Khai train station, one can catch another train which crosses the bridge. These are not frequent, however, and the queues for VOA on the Lao side can take a while.

I used to take the train to the Nong Khai train station. How would I get from the train station to the bridge? Walk.

At the Nong Khai train station, one can catch another train which crosses the bridge. These are not frequent, however, and the queues for VOA on the Lao side can take a while.

Thai Immigration at Nong Khai train station is only open for trains arriving from Bangkok (and maybe not every one of them) and not for the 3rd class train that originates in Khorat which was my choice of transport (35 baht from Khon Kaen).

• Like 1