Myanmar 8.5%

Laos 7.5%

Cambodia 7.0%

Vietnam 6.5%

Malaysia 4.7%

Indonesia 4.7%

Thailand 2.5%

http://knoema.com/nwnfkne/world-gdp-ranking-2015-data-and-charts

I'm afraid there are no other countries than that 'around us' General Economist!

I guess the reason for Thailand being last in this statistic, is because that most of Thailand's economy is "grey". And we as "foreigners" will not be able to understand this.

But if he did not "pull up the root to Thailand's previous problems", this country would be in a lot worse economic state than it is now.

Do you imagine Cambodia, Laos etc have any less of a "grey" economy?

Everything could be going in exactly the direction that the General and his puppet masters want and the picture would still look like this for the rest of the population. Just look at the subtle military takeover of state industries.

Genuine question to those with educated wife or gf. Pls skip if you're dating bg.

Q: How do Thai think about PM statements? I dont discuss politics except with 1 lady friend who tells me she doesn't know what to think about this but who did oppose to Herr T.

IME. wifey and her friends, female and male, who are university educated, most with Masters, many traveled or educated overseas and include doctors, vets, accountants and business people.

They all don't pay any attention quite frankly. Most voted PTP, then got really pissed off with their lies and most went and protested against Thaksin's whitewash. That was simply the straw that broke the camels back.

They accepted, even welcomed the coup, as they'd had enough of PTP and the likes of Chalerm, Tharit, the red militia and the BiB,

Now they are getting fed up with the lack of progress on reforms and the lack of all the big fish being held responsible and punished.

What is sad is they believe nothing can change. It's always been this way and always will. They might grumble and joke in private but would never challenge the ruling elite among whom are the continued struggle for power and control. They don't believe elections will change things, quite rightly, because without a robust independent justice system and checks and balances they won't.

Genuine question to those with educated wife or gf. Pls skip if you're dating bg.

Q: How do Thai think about PM statements? I dont discuss politics except with 1 lady friend who tells me she doesn't know what to think about this but who did oppose to Herr T.

IME. wifey and her friends, female and male, who are university educated, most with Masters, many traveled or educated overseas and include doctors, vets, accountants and business people.

They all don't pay any attention quite frankly. Most voted PTP, then got really pissed off with their lies and most went and protested against Thaksin's whitewash. That was simply the straw that broke the camels back.

They accepted, even welcomed the coup, as they'd had enough of PTP and the likes of Chalerm, Tharit, the red militia and the BiB,

Now they are getting fed up with the lack of progress on reforms and the lack of all the big fish being held responsible and punished.

What is sad is they believe nothing can change. It's always been this way and always will. They might grumble and joke in private but would never challenge the ruling elite among whom are the continued struggle for power and control. They don't believe elections will change things, quite rightly, because without a robust independent justice system and checks and balances they won't.

You just said it "Checks and balances", of which there are none at the moment. There is at least an opposition in a democracy. The main thing is that although your wife and her friends are becoming disillusioned with the junta, they can't vote them out.

If I had a choice between two governments, one I could kick out the other I couldn't, I know which one I'd choose.

Apart from Bar girls, what other sectors of the Thai populations opinions should be "skipped"/

This sort of arrogant selective "listening", on the part of the "educated classes", who make up a small minority, and which your post mirrors, is why the end to this system/regime is becoming ever more likely to be messy when it comes.

Bar girls and others may not be educated. That does not mean that they are stupid, nor does it mean that they do not have a right to be heard.

"We have been on this path for 83 years and faced many coups." I will say it again - what has been learned from a successful near neighbour (Singapore)? And the not surprising answer is NOTHING!

How can it be possible that past and current Thai leadership does not seem to want to learn from others? No need to re-invent the wheel. Modify perhaps but NOT re-invent.

Perhaps the military does not want to give up its (and its elitist friends) privileged/powerful positions? And continues using flimsy excuses for the "happiness" of Thai peoples to hold onto power. Sad really.

"We have been on this path for 83 years and faced many coups." I will say it again - what has been learned from a successful near neighbour (Singapore)? And the not surprising answer is NOTHING!

How can it be possible that past and current Thai leadership does not seem to want to learn from others? No need to re-invent the wheel. Modify perhaps but NOT re-invent.

Perhaps the military does not want to give up its (and its elitist friends) privileged/powerful positions? And continues using flimsy excuses for the "happiness" of Thai peoples to hold onto power. Sad really.

Why would they learn from others? It's easyier to be corrupt and get rich from that. There's no punishment for that and only the big car counts.

To another poster: bargirls can speak english, not good but better then most Thai i see around here and they have respectable jobs.

Apart from Bar girls, what other sectors of the Thai populations opinions should be "skipped"/

This sort of arrogant selective "listening", on the part of the "educated classes", who make up a small minority, and which your post mirrors, is why the end to this system/regime is becoming ever more likely to be messy when it comes.

Bar girls and others may not be educated. That does not mean that they are stupid, nor does it mean that they do not have a right to be heard.

Just skip the bgs please. They have the right to be heard but I have the right to skip on them. I have no sympathy for the average bg, sorry... I do like farmers, ice cream sellers, cooks and maids :)