Koh Tao: Suspects found guilty of murdering British backpackers

Jonathan Fairfield

sorry but insulting the Millar family is quite disgraceful no matter what they said, they believe in what they have been told which is exactly the same as we have been told - they know nothing more, my advise to them would be to have a long chat with a legal expert in the UK who can actually explain some of the flaws in this case and how the evidence is far from convincing especially since it doesn't exist anymore and there is nothing to prove that it ever existed - at least not in Thailand

Why do you think that what they have been told is exactly the same as you have been told.

Were you also privately informed by the UK investigators who observed the investigation in Thailand?

there is very simple answer to this

1. If police in Thailand had told them something that convinced them then it would have been presented in court and we would all know about it, I would have believed the DNA evidence if they could have backed it up, as it stands they couldn't and that rings a very large alarm bell for me, the Millar family have seemingly accepted this evidence at face value - I have not - will not until they can produce it, a written report saying we got a match without anything else to support it doesn't work for me and it wouldn't work in any western courtroom either.

2. The UK police would not have told them anything above what was officially released - next to nothing, I am 100% sure of that

3. same applies to any official government representation

What we have not heard yet (and I stress that nobody has), is the official detailed autopsy reports from the UK, that should make for some interesting reading

What the UK police will have told them is what will be in the official investigation report.

Do you believe that the media has access to the investigation report, or only print what is fed to them?

If you think that all what is printed in the media is all what is known, then I wonder why a defense team spend so much time going through the court files, when they simply could buy a newspaper and subscribe to facebook.

sorry but you have completely lost me, I said what I said, it is black and white easy reading

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

From the Judge's verdict report via KhaoSod

The two defendants said they suddenly had the idea of going swimming in the sea on their way back to the residence. It was in the dead of the night, and it was raining slightly. It is unimaginable that any person would have made this decision, unless they wanted to erase the evidence on their shirts and bodies.

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1451042373

At the end of the day. There is no explaining how David's phone came to be in Zaw possession. Or why they concealed it knowing what was happening at the time. Or why Muang Muang and Zaw went back to the vicinity in the early hours to look for their belongings. Or why they were washing themselves in the sea in the early hours of the morning. My only question is "why did they let Muang Muang go? " and I do think there are others involved.

I am pretty sure he was there at the beginning of the attack remember he is also seen wearing WP shirt later, there excuse was he wanted it as he was cold, but not cold enough for the B2 to go for a swim !

The reason they couldn't arrest him as none of his DNA was found unlike the B2

When will the inquest on Hannah's death be held in Norwich and the proceedings be made public. There is still a loose end to be tied up from the Home Office pathologist's report that was released to the defence by the Norwich coroner. That is the finding that there was no evidence that Hannah was sexually assaulted. It is hard to understand how Thai police could have found the two convicted men's semen in her body, if she was not sexually assaulted. Does that imply that she had consensual sex with both, who then brutally murdered her?

Honestly guys, this case presented by the Thai police for me goes little further than finger pointing, it's like standing up in court pointing at someone and saying - they did it, case closed.......... guilty

The evidence they presented goes little beyond finger pointing simply because they cannot back it up in any convincing way - it really is as simple as that

I wish they had been able to back it up because I'd be first in line cheering as the guilty were hanged and it would have made me very happy indeed.

Whether B2 are guilty or not I just cannot sit comfortably with this verdict based on what was presented by the police, it just doesn't sit well with me and for that I am sorry

Quote: "The evidence they presented goes little beyond finger pointing simply because they cannot back it up in any convincing way - it really is as simple as that".

And for me that is key, and the judge looks past/dismisses anything that could possibly "incriminate" the police or their investigation modus operandi.

The posters who support the guilty verdict surely realise that nothing was actually proven, and by that I mean proven by means which would stand scrutiny or tests by an independent body, or are indeed accepted internationally, so surely that has to ring alarm bells with these people?

And if you go on to add the complete overlooking of the murder weapon which was presented in court as not being the one that was photographed as the original murder weapon, and absolutely no explanation of what was used on poor David, then surely all this has to lead even simpleminded people to question if the verdict was correct.

These very supporters are those people who are basically saying, well I believe in the police and what they do and because they are honest and trustworthy people, we will take their word for it, because they can do no wrong.......and that has never been the case.

PS. I thought the Youtube link to the Thai guy (Sondhi?) was interesting and I think he hit the nail on the head.

The two defendants said they suddenly had the idea of going swimming in the sea on their way back to the residence. It was in the dead of the night, and it was raining slightly. It is unimaginable that any person would have made this decision, unless they wanted to erase the evidence on their shirts and bodies.

It really all boils down to the alleged DNA found on Hannah's body. Because it hasn't been validated, it is questionable whether it existed, whether it was all used up, or whether it wasn't that of the B2. Had the RTP provided this rock-solid evidence to the court, I'm sure everyone would be satisfied that the right perps had been caught. They didn't, and that is where there is a big hole in the court's judgement, IMO.

As to the above, it's conjecture not a legal argument. However, if the above had been properly submitted and substantiated, I agree this conjecture would carry some weight.

Also like some posters on here, I suspect that the B2 know more than they are admitting and if they want the truth to come out, they need to talk - albeit endangering their lives. Or somebody else does.

It really all boils down to the alleged DNA found on Hannah's body. Because it hasn't been validated, it is questionable whether it existed, whether it was all used up, or whether it wasn't that of the B2. Had the RTP provided this rock-solid evidence to the court, I'm sure everyone would be satisfied that the right perps had been caught. They didn't, and that is where there is a big hole in the court's judgement, IMO.

As to the above, it's conjecture not a legal argument. However, if the above had been properly submitted and substantiated, I agree this conjecture would carry some weight.

Also like some posters on here, I suspect that the B2 know more than they are admitting and if they want the truth to come out, they need to talk - albeit endangering their lives. Or somebody else does.

As to the above, it is the conclusion of the Judges.

Why is the Brother happy with the Verdict then..?.

Ever heard about being presented wrong facts, forged evidence, persuasation, brainwashing, psycho tricks ....

To all the people on here slagging of the Millers I suggest you contact Andy Hall via facebook and twitter and ask is there things that have gone on in the court that the Millers know about that we don't.

I await a answer

Following the demonstrations at the Thai Embassy in Yangon, I'm wondering if there is going to be a similar backlash from the migrant population on Koh Tao?

It's just possible that this verdict will be the catalyst that opens a few peoples mouths or brings about retribution Burmese style...

Not that I would condone violence...

Honestly guys, this case presented by the Thai police for me goes little further than finger pointing, it's like standing up in court pointing at someone and saying - they did it, case closed.......... guilty

The evidence they presented goes little beyond finger pointing simply because they cannot back it up in any convincing way - it really is as simple as that

I wish they had been able to back it up because I'd be first in line cheering as the guilty were hanged and it would have made me very happy indeed.

Whether B2 are guilty or not I just cannot sit comfortably with this verdict based on what was presented by the police, it just doesn't sit well with me and for that I am sorry

Quote: "The evidence they presented goes little beyond finger pointing simply because they cannot back it up in any convincing way - it really is as simple as that".

And for me that is key, and the judge looks past/dismisses anything that could possibly "incriminate" the police or their investigation modus operandi.

The posters who support the guilty verdict surely realise that nothing was actually proven, and by that I mean proven by means which would stand scrutiny or tests by an independent body, or are indeed accepted internationally, so surely that has to ring alarm bells with these people?

And if you go on to add the complete overlooking of the murder weapon which was presented in court as not being the one that was photographed as the original murder weapon, and absolutely no explanation of what was used on poor David, then surely all this has to lead even simpleminded people to question if the verdict was correct.

These very supporters are those people who are basically saying, well I believe in the police and what they do and because they are honest and trustworthy people, we will take their word for it, because they can do no wrong.......and that has never been the case.

PS. I thought the Youtube link to the Thai guy (Sondhi?) was interesting and I think he hit the nail on the head.

You think Sondhi hit the nail on the head because he shares your opinion, but who would believe a criminal, convicted for fraud and insulting the monarchy, doesn't have an agenda?

By the way, did you notice that Sondhi switched sides 3 times already during his criminal career, only to his own benefit?

Edited by TheCruncher

Their argument boils down to "The must be innocent because I am prejudiced against Thailand", it holds no weight.

Nonsense.

Even more nonsense!

Nope.

If you don't like what someone says then prove them wrong by rational argument.

Do not resort to the knee jerk, paranoid, if you are critical you hate Thailand, wannabe BS reaction.

Doesn't invalidate my opinion. I respect the court's judgement, but like Andy Hall said, I don't have to agree with it. That's why an appeal is being formulated.

Edited by stephenterry

The Miller family have been expertly manipulated by the Thai police.

It wouldn't be hard. They come from Jersey, a small island. They are decent, law-abiding people. They are conditioned to put their trust in authority. They can't speak Thai. Their interpreted information will come from police sources. Thais can be charming, flattering and sycophantic in the extreme if required. The Miller family have been under unimaginable stress and grief.

Factually incorrect. Interested parties had representatives in court that were able to translate word for word accurately and efficiently in real time and in written transcripts afterwards to the very standard you imply was not available.

Are you suggesting the information being translated is not coming from police sources?

Were you trying to say it is the collusion of the judges?

Were you trying to say it is the collusion of the judges?

No -- I was just trying to put into this record the written conclusions of the Judges. As Mr. Terry says above, during any appeal, Mr. Hall and the defense team can give their version of why the 2 Burmese chose to go swimming and lose their clothes "in the dead of night".

Edited by JLCrab

You think Sondhi hit the nail on the head because he shares your opinion, but who would believe a criminal, convicted for fraud and insulting the monarchy, doesn't have an agenda?

By the way, did you notice that Sondhi switched sides 3 times already during his criminal career, only to his own benefit?

Ah, I see...........the old trick of trying to divert attention away from the main body of the post by picking up on my PostScript.

So let's delete the PostScript and focus on the main body of the post. The reason you won't is because the points I raised are unanswerable in a logical and commonsense way.

As I said before and I will continue to say, there is nothing concrete/provable that indicates the B2 are guilty and there are SO MANY unanswered questions that the case should have been thrown out before it got this far, and the only reason it hasn't is because face needed to be saved, and money changed hands to ensure that it was.........in a country where corruption is endemic, this surely is no surprise as it has happened time and time again.

Edited by xylophone

In the crime scene photos you will also see there are big fishing boats in the bay the reason they are there is because they were sheltering from a storm that night, this also means that it would of been a extremely dangerous and slow trip to make in a speedboat which also rules out the Nomsod got on a speedboat and made it to Koh Samui in an Hour and a half and got on a plane.

There are so many posts to wade through here I would like to ask a simple question to get something clear.

Has any DNA belonging to the B2 been found on or in either of the murdered people? The UK examination said there was no sign of rape but what of foreign DNA?

Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere but just too many posts to check.

Just wish to point that verdicts usually are "guilty" or "not guilty". Not "innocent". I've been on jury duty in US, and recall trial of guy charged with being under influence of marijuana while driving. We on the jury agreed the guy was high, but the state did not do a good enough job of proving guilt beyond reasonable doubt, so we returned "not guilty" verdict.

The case here in Thailand was hardly proven "beyond a reasonable doubt". Maybe B2 did it, maybe not. But judge did the job of connecting the dots that should have been done by prosecution.

"The two defendants failed to produce any alibi to confirm their whereabouts after they left the log and parted company with Mau Mau."

With all that support and a full defense team unable to come with an alibi????

IMO, that could implicate some very violent men - and self preservation comes into play. Nowhere is safe, even a high-security prison in NST, especially when wearing shackles 24/7.

Anyway, so the two wandered around, found a phone on the beach, went for a swim, lost their clothes and guitar, went back to their lodgings and slept. Back to work the next day. Sounds pretty normal thing for young men to do. Yes, it's not a rock-solid alibi, but that doesn't make it untrue.

"The two defendants failed to produce any alibi to confirm their whereabouts after they left the log and parted company with Mau Mau."

With all that support and a full defense team unable to come with an alibi????

IMO, that could implicate some very violent men - and self preservation comes into play. Nowhere is safe, even a high-security prison in NST, especially when wearing shackles 24/7.

Anyway, so the two wandered around, found a phone on the beach, went for a swim, lost their clothes and guitar, went back to their lodgings and slept. Back to work the next day. Sounds pretty normal thing for young men to do. Yes, it's not a rock-solid alibi, but that doesn't make it untrue.

It does make it, however, very convenient. As mentioned above, the conclusion of the Judges can be contested in an appeal and that would provide the opportunity for the Defense to demonstrate as to why the Judge's' conclusions as to alibi are unfounded.

Edited by JLCrab

There are so many posts to wade through here I would like to ask a simple question to get something clear.

Has any DNA belonging to the B2 been found on or in either of the murdered people? The UK examination said there was no sign of rape but what of foreign DNA?

Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere but just too many posts to check.

Allegedly that of the B2 in respect of the female victim, but it has not been validated, so it is questionable whether it actually existed. There is no DNA evidence to link the B2 to the male victim.