Koh Tao: Suspects found guilty of murdering British backpackers

Jonathan Fairfield

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

“Investigators today interrogated Montriwat Toovichien, a 45-year-old bartender at AC Bar on Koh Tao who [is] identified as the man seen in closed-circuit video footage in the hours before the September 15 bludgeoning deaths of Britons David Miller, 24, and Hannah Witheridge, 23.”

"Police say they have identified all the suspects and are linking them to the evidence on hand, he said."

"Please have confidence in our work. There will be no scapegoats," Lt Gen Panya said said. "The case is being closely watched worldwide and we're working hard to make the case as airtight as possible."

http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-arrests-expected-today-in-koh-tao-murders-48843.php

And then Lt Gen Panya promptly got taken off the job……. Hauled in the "wrong" suspects, it seems.

That's the mantra from the Truthers; reality is that he was promoted 7 days after, as scheduled since before the murders; but not before announcing the arrests of the two Burmese the day before it happened.

Must have seen you claim this more than half a dozen times, each time you fail to provide a link to the claim, a link announcing his due promotion before the murders. Instead your normal response to this is deflection, lets see if you do the same again. Why is this so significant? Because if you provide that link rather than deflection your claim will be based with evidence rather than speculation. Please provide the reality you speak of

Edited by HUH

They checked his phone records, as it transpired during the trial hearings.

Why would the phone records of a person that is not considered a suspect be mentioned at all in the trial?

You are really insulting everybody's intelligence here.

My view is that the Rtp are protecting their own on koh tao and while the b2 are scapegoats they were involved in some way. No other scenario fits what's happened.

“Did you kill them or didn’t you kill them?” the judge asked at one point, according to Mr Hall.

“No, we didn’t,” the men replied.

The judge then urged the two men to reveal any information they had about the murders, Mr Hall added.

“You don’t need to be scared. If you know who did it, tell us.”

The men replied that they had been drunk and did not have any information about the crimes.

26 DEC 2014

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/thailand/11313714/Koh-Tao-murders-suspects-in-killing-of-David-Miller-and-Hannah-Witheridge-say-they-were-framed.html

I am well aware of that. Bearing in mind the circumstances of that court appearance in which the b2 could have been conveniently eliminated once they returned to prison I don't blame them . However, if they expect the truth to emerge they need to facilitate it or stay in prison for the rest of their lives

We've been hearing the "they'll be killed in prison" since the day after they were arrested. Time to change that pony I think.

you know nothing

Did they provide any corroborating evidence for their claim?

It's worth pointing out that police witnesesses regularly perjured themselves (and with impunity) during the trial.

Nomsod was not on trial so his phone records would not be mentioned in the court. But the police investigators could have used it as evidence together with the CCTV evidence , 2 weeks after the murder , also with the DNA testing , just to confirm he was in Bangkok

Personally I believe he was in Bangkok, but phone records would have confirmed it. But then again , some people do not believe in the datestamp of the CCTV images and think they are faked , even if we had the phone records they would probably be considered fake , just like the "fake" DNA test. I do not believe they were faked.

Instead I would like to see the phone records of Mon and anyone else released , everyone that were on the island that night , I believe with modern technology it is possible to trace every movement very precisely if the phone is switched on.

That would be a real investigation and could give us a lot of answers.

Edited by balo

According to this report, phone records were checked in the prosecution documents case file, however it certainly makes no mention of Nomsods data being checked. Also how detailed those checks were is also up for speculation.

It chronicles the events leading up to the discovery of the bodies. The Report sets out in detail the steps taken by the RTP in investigating the crime and in pursuing suspects and leads. It provides an account of how evidence was collected such as the performance of mass DNA testing, the identification and retrieval of CCTV footag from across the island, and the retrieval and collation of cell phone data etc. https://www.judiciary.gov.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/hq_15X0311_final.pdf

At the trial reference to Nomsod was mentioned but nothing about phone records:

The man Ms Witheridge was rumoured to have an altercation with at the bar was seen on CCTV in Bangkok later on the morning of September 15, and has denied having anything to do with the murders.

He gave DNA samples in front of reporters to try to quell rumours that he was involved.

But in court today the senior investigating officer said he had never received the results of those DNA tests, or indeed any documentation from Bangkok regarding any interview with the man. He said he had been promised a report but it never arrived. http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/crime/hannah_witheridge_murder_trial_defence_team_hope_to_re_test_crucial_forensic_evidence_1_4164482

"I have instructed other inmates to monitor the two Burmese men.”

“I am afraid they may commit suicide, because they show signs of stress," said Chanin Liangsuwan, chief of Koh Samui District Prison.”

"They may be feeling guilty for the crime they have done."

This, proclaimed by a penologist (who has nothing to do with the prosecution) before there was a trial. whistling.gif

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1412859323

Why would the phone records of a person that is not considered a suspect be mentioned at all in the trial?

The statement by AleG is correct.

As to "why" you can speculate whatever you want...

Journalists from ThaiPBS reviewed the original footage from CCTV cameras, from a time before the murders took place until he is seen leaving his room, he didn't go in or out during that period.

So obviously he must have taken a helicopter, rappelled down on a rope and swung into his room through the window, SWAT team style.

AleG completely misses the point that Asiamaster and I were discussing. It wasn't about the CCTV at NS's apt lobby, it was about Nok Air. If you wanna talk about NS at the apt., then yes, there's still zero indication that NS was at the Bkk apt Sunday night. Even his g.f. backs that up, by not being able to find him or get him on the phone Sunday night, though she tried.

So can anyone answer a simple question? What was the motive of B2? I've only read they got so hot and horny they decided to whack David and mutilate Hannah over their horniness. Any other motive ?

I don't think the B2 had a motive because I don't think they did the crime. However, for the actual killers, lusting sex was a factor, as was drugs, at least alcohol. But just as much or more of a factor, in my view, is Thai men getting very offended very quickly. I've seen it many times: Thai guys get offended, get raving angry within seconds, and watch out. Their buddies will come charging out of the bushes to aid them, even if they don't know what's going on. It can happen with Thai women too, but I don't think there was a Thai woman at the crime scene that night. With Thai women it's very loud shouting/screaming. With Thai men, it's grab the gnarliest weapon and go apeshit, with your buddies doing the same.

Interesting that, with all the blood on the hoe's business end, Thai forensics claim none of it was David's - yet Thai forensics still claim David was bludgeoned by the hoe, along with stab wounds. It's near preposterous, but it's all we have to go on from experts unless Brit forensics quits sitting on its hands and speaks up.

The case didn't particulary interest me to be honest.

It was just a case of wrong place wrong time, shame it happened but it did.

Nothing about the case will stop any tourists visiting Thailand. Its yesterdays news.

Wrong, I've crossed Thailand off my holiday list, and have convinced several others to do the same.

Yes, a drop in the ocean, but from small things, big things grow.

Shame about your attitude. Thousand of people will not go to Thailand because of Koh Toe and the bad reputation Thailand has for it's policing and justice system, you underestimating the situation, the adverse publicity over the net must have had a profound effect. Not everyone is as shallow as you are.

Just so there's no confusion, my post referred to manxninja and not sartoric.

Nomsod was not on trial so his phone records would not be mentioned in the court. But the police investigators could have used it as evidence together with the CCTV evidence , 2 weeks after the murder , also with the DNA testing , just to confirm he was in Bangkok

Personally I believe he was in Bangkok, but phone records would have confirmed it. But then again , some people do not believe in the datestamp of the CCTV images and think they are faked , even if we had the phone records they would probably be considered fake , just like the "fake" DNA test. I do not believe they were faked.

Instead I would like to see the phone records of Mon and anyone else released , everyone that were on the island that night , I believe with modern technology it is possible to trace every movement very precisely if the phone is switched on.

That would be a real investigation and could give us a lot of answers.

Why are you contradicting balo?

Edited by lkv

He was a suspect for the first couple of days and it was all over the news. So nobody saw him at the airport or in that plane? Not even an air hostess? Oh yes I get it: they were all sorted out beforehand...

The air flight happened before he was named as a suspect. A little while later, there were pictures of Nomsod circulated by cops and press corps (he was a prime suspect) - while NS continued to evade capture for about a week.

If the kid took a plane ride on Monday morning, none of the passengers or air staff would know shit from shinola. Why should they? The story didn't even start breaking until hours after the plane landed in Bkk.

If any real investigators were investigating this case, checking flight manifests and airport CCTV would have been on their schedule. Instead, we (those of us seeking justice) have been shown hundreds of indications of complete incompetence by RTP. Incidentally, ONLY RTP ARE ALLOWED TO DO CRIME INVESTIGATIONS. When they're not incompetent, they're purposefully skewing or trashing data which could prove useful. Similar with phone data: RTP did nothing OR if they did, they squashed the data. I could go on and list dozens of basic things RTP detectives didn't do - which any half-assed investigators would have done.

No it's not correct.

Now if AleG had stated that they claimed to have checked his phone records, he would have been correct.

The only, I repeat only mention of phone records in the entire investigation and trial, is one brief mention by RTP in their continuing and hollow attempts to shield Nomsod. They said NS's phone was used in Bangkok on Monday morning. Morning = until noon. So, that call could have been anytime until 12 noon, so what?! It means nothing. Plus, it's hearsay again from cops, similar to all DNA claims from RTP sources. What seekers of truth want is phone records of every person of interest (including Hoe Man, Headman, Headman's wife, family lawyer, etc etc) which happened between 3 am and noon on Monday. We will never see it, similarly to how we'll never see flight manifests or CCTV of pertinent flights to Bkk that morning. I saw this as a cover-up from the first hours after the crime. It's been over 15 months since the crime, and some stalwarts still can't see the many obvious proofs of blatant cover-up. Only one conclusion: they don't want to see it.

"Living is easy with eyes closed. Misunderstanding all you see." John Lennon

A guy and his babe 3 seconds in front of a primary suspect in a double murder:

Exactly my point.

Incredible, 3 seconds from the prime murder syspect yet the RTP never attempted to identify let alone interview these witneses.

But never mind witneses, those two could possible be involved in the murders.

The only, I repeat only mention of phone records in the entire investigation and trial, is one brief mention by RTP in their continuing and hollow attempts to shield Nomsod. They said NS's phone was used in Bangkok on Monday morning. Morning = until noon. So, that call could have been anytime until 12 noon, so what?! It means nothing. Plus, it's hearsay again from cops, similar to all DNA claims from RTP sources. What seekers of truth want is phone records of every person of interest (including Hoe Man, Headman, Headman's wife, family lawyer, etc etc) which happened between 3 am and noon on Monday. We will never see it, similarly to how we'll never see flight manifests or CCTV of pertinent flights to Bkk that morning. I saw this as a cover-up from the first hours after the crime. It's been over 15 months since the crime, and some stalwarts still can't see the many obvious proofs of blatant cover-up. Only one conclusion: they don't want to see it.

"Living is easy with eyes closed. Misunderstanding all you see." John Lennon

And just as important, where and who's is the phone found next to the victims?

Where is that phone now? Lost along with all the other vital clues...incredibly inept, or just a disgusting cover up?

Edited by MorristheRunt

If he was a real suspect as you say, then why didn't they check his phone records. Surely if his handset pinged off a tower in KT, it would prove that he was there. If in Bangkok then records would show he was there. Quite simple but they didn't ask for these records. It's little things like this that plant the seeds of doubt. Surely you appreciate that !

did they check any records?

Nomsod phone records shown in court .

iReason, on 04 Jan 2016 - 15:36, said:

And again here. This couple were the only people seen near Running Man on the CCTV footage that has been released to the public. That makes them witnesses in my view.

post-222707-0-51267700-1451920420_thumb.

I believe there are better quality images of this couple. The guy is a very distinctive looking farang. It utterly beggars belief that the police were unable to trace him. I'm confident that if you replace the word 'unable' with 'unwilling', you can remove 'It utterly beggars belief that' from the last sentence and it becomes a truism.

And then Lt Gen Panya promptly got taken off the job……. Hauled in the "wrong" suspects, it seems.

That's the mantra from the Truthers; reality is that he was promoted 7 days after, as scheduled since before the murders; but not before announcing the arrests of the two Burmese the day before it happened.

Must have seen you claim this more than half a dozen times, each time you fail to provide a link to the claim, a link announcing his due promotion before the murders. Instead your normal response to this is deflection, lets see if you do the same again. Why is this so significant? Because if you provide that link rather than deflection your claim will be based with evidence rather than speculation. Please provide the reality you speak of

The press reported the promotion, police promotions and transfers happen on the first of October; you are the ones claiming that the promotion was only an excuse to remove him from the investigation to change its course, it's up to you to support your claim.