Koh Tao: Suspects found guilty of murdering British backpackers

Jonathan Fairfield

Yes the UK Embassy in Thailand already knew earlier that the family had secured the identifying number but eventually the family passed it to the THAI Embassy in the UK, after there was conflicting testimony as to whether the British authorities had helped the prosecution confirm ownership.To do so would have been in contravention of the British government's stand not to assist cases which could lead to the death penalty.

So the UK Embassy did not give the Prosecutor the confirmation and he made it up..

Or the UK Embassy, in contravention of it's own code, did give the Prosecutor the confirmation, and the UK official lied when he said they hadn't..

Don't you know the difference between the UK Embassy in Thailand and the Thai Embassy in the UK?

What? what is your point..

The Prosecutor said he got the confirmation from a UK official, so unless he flew to the UK then that can only mean the UK Embassy in Thailand!

In either case he did NOT get the confirmation from the UK official ever.

Do you not understand the simple fact "he NEVER got the confirmation from any UK official in Thailand or the UK or anywhere else" clearly he made that up, clearly if a prosecutor is making up facts to suit his case he is in the wrong job.

hope this helps..

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Shame on this system of justice that doesn't exist. What about the Scottish guy with blood on his guitar and I'm pretty sure also on his hands.

What about his weird story that they wanted to kill him? I doubt that the Burmese workers were threatening him.

What about all the girls in too small bikinis who provoke innocent and drunk Thai men to just take them when they want to?

What about all the generals in power, who've got no idea what they're actually doing? Please see Minister of Education and more..

Was the Scottish guy he even considered as a witness?

We all know that the two guys were as innocent as any other "guest workers" in the Land of Smile? And the culprits can continue with their businesses and nobody seems to care.

The three Chinese monkeys come to mind. Don't hear, don't see, don't talk. A great start for the ASEAN community.

The guys who pay money get away with anything and those who're innocent have to pay the bill. Insanity at its best.

post-158336-0-15126600-1451136015_thumb.

Edited by lostinisaan

Koh Tao Murders: Myanmar Journalists Urge Thai Press to ‘Reveal the Truth’
By Teeranai Charuvastra
Staff Reporter
14511118861451111920l.jpg
A van carrying Zaw Lin and Wai Phyo leaves Samui prison for Nakhon Si Thammarat prison Saturday morning.
BANGKOK — The Myanmar Journalists Association is urging its Thai counterpart to work together and “reveal the truth” behind the conviction of two Myanmar men for the killings of two British backpackers in southern Thailand last year.
In its open letter addressed to the Thai Journalist Association, the Myanmar media group said justice will prevail if media from the two nations work together in the coverage of the case, which has drawn intense scrutiny from the public.
“We do believe that our close cooperation in seeking justice after revealing the truth behind this controversial case will further promote the existing friendship not only between our two journalist associations but also between the peoples of our two countries,” the statement read, without mentioning any specifics.
On Thursday Zaw Lin and Wai Phyo, two Myanmar men who were bar workers on Tao island, were found guilty of killing British tourists David Miller and Hannah Witheridge on Sept. 15, 2014. They were also convicted of raping Witheridge.
kse.png

-- Khaosod English 2015-12-26

What's this? is it to be 'trial by media' now. Someone tell them that what they print will have no influence on the proceedings to come and that they are wasting ink.

II hope they take a very close look at some of the posters on here and take appropriate steps if necessary.

So the UK Embassy did not give the Prosecutor the confirmation and he made it up..

Or the UK Embassy, in contravention of it's own code, did give the Prosecutor the confirmation, and the UK official lied when he said they hadn't..

SO which phone was this for?

The one police said had finger prints and was Hannah's, the one (with blonde hair) they said they found immediately after the crime was discovered, or the one they claim they found near where the Burmese lived?

How did the police manage to get the IMEI from a smashed phone? Is it even from the same phone that the Burmese man said he found?

They've released many other photos, is there a photo of this phone showing the IMEI. I understand that some iPhones have the IMEI in different locations on the phone.. where exactly was the IMEI taken from in this phone.

How is it confirmed to be the same IMEI?

Did they hand over the IMEI to David's family and they confirmed it?

Or did they ask for David's IMEI from the phone company then compared the 2 numbers?

Would a phone company hand over such information? the EU has some strong information disclosure rules, one could not simply ask "phone company" for the IMEI and expect to get it..

It appears odd to me that the relatives family should be supplying information to the police to help a conviction where there is a death sentence unless they are seeking revenge. In which case I'd find any of their actions questionable .

So let's assume that it is David's phone, and that the Burmese man did say he had it (I've only seen some vague press reports that he said anything)

As I said this appears to be the strongest evidence I've seen related to this case, but on its own, all it means is that the Burmese man took David's phone. Not really enough to execute.

Do you know what an IMEI code is and where (in many places) it can be found?

I know exactly what an IMEI..

Are you that blinded by your own eagerness to see these 2 men convicted that you cannot even read my post?

"I understand that some iPhones have the IMEI in different locations on the phone.. where exactly was the IMEI taken from in this phone."

jog on.

Why is the Brother happy with the Verdict then..?.

Ever heard about being presented wrong facts, forged evidence, persuasation, brainwashing, psycho tricks ....

To all the people on here slagging of the Millers I suggest you contact Andy Hall via facebook and twitter and ask is there things that have gone on in the court that the Millers know about that we don't.

I await a answer

You've got a long wait, at least 10 months before the first appeal............I wouldn't stock up on the pop corn just yet.

Ever heard about being presented wrong facts, forged evidence, persuasation, brainwashing, psycho tricks ....

To all the people on here slagging of the Millers I suggest you contact Andy Hall via facebook and twitter and ask is there things that have gone on in the court that the Millers know about that we don't.

I await a answer

You've got a long wait, at least 10 months before the first appeal............I wouldn't stock up on the pop corn just yet.

Why is Andy not going to speak anymore about the case till then ?

Because Ace the prepared statement the brother gave was designed to indicate he was happy. The question is who prepared that statement? The judiciary, the RTP, the prosecution lawyers? There is one giveaway comment that suggest the media statement is not the work of the family. It refers to lack of remorse. The families of the deceased would have no idea of what an expression of Myanmar remorse would look like or sound like. Particularly seeing that remorse was expected to come from maybe innocent people found guilty. The scene is set for a handsome reward for some.

Following the demonstrations at the Thai Embassy in Yangon, I'm wondering if there is going to be a similar backlash from the migrant population on Koh Tao?

It's just possible that this verdict will be the catalyst that opens a few peoples mouths or brings about retribution Burmese style...

Not that I would condone violence...

Be good to see them all go on strike.

I await a answer

Why is Andy not going to speak anymore about the case till then ?

You do more talking than Andy, why not carry on, your on a roll......................for the moment

There are so many posts to wade through here I would like to ask a simple question to get something clear.

Has any DNA belonging to the B2 been found on or in either of the murdered people? The UK examination said there was no sign of rape but what of foreign DNA?

Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere but just too many posts to check.

Yes It was the DNA found in Hannah, DNA matched both rapists. also the defense were offered to retest it but turned it down instead focusing on the hoe that wasn't even part of the prosecutions case.

Hang on a minute Disco Dan: " rapists"?? the Norfolk coroner decided in the interests of justice to release " We found no evidence on the body that Hannah was raped"

Koh Tao Murders: Myanmar Journalists Urge Thai Press to ‘Reveal the Truth’
By Teeranai Charuvastra
Staff Reporter
14511118861451111920l.jpg
A van carrying Zaw Lin and Wai Phyo leaves Samui prison for Nakhon Si Thammarat prison Saturday morning.
BANGKOK — The Myanmar Journalists Association is urging its Thai counterpart to work together and “reveal the truth” behind the conviction of two Myanmar men for the killings of two British backpackers in southern Thailand last year.
In its open letter addressed to the Thai Journalist Association, the Myanmar media group said justice will prevail if media from the two nations work together in the coverage of the case, which has drawn intense scrutiny from the public.
“We do believe that our close cooperation in seeking justice after revealing the truth behind this controversial case will further promote the existing friendship not only between our two journalist associations but also between the peoples of our two countries,” the statement read, without mentioning any specifics.
On Thursday Zaw Lin and Wai Phyo, two Myanmar men who were bar workers on Tao island, were found guilty of killing British tourists David Miller and Hannah Witheridge on Sept. 15, 2014. They were also convicted of raping Witheridge.
kse.png

-- Khaosod English 2015-12-26

What's this? is it to be 'trial by media' now. Someone tell them that what they print will have no influence on the proceedings to come and that they are wasting ink.

II hope they take a very close look at some of the posters on here and take appropriate steps if necessary.

Do please tell me what you find disagreeable about my post - while your at it, explain why you can't stomach someone with a different take on events than you and feel you have to throw in an unjustified and unnecessary veiled threat on posters (me I presume in this case) over a perfectly acceptable and valid point!!

Because Ace the prepared statement the brother gave was designed to indicate he was happy. The question is who prepared that statement? The judiciary, the RTP, the prosecution lawyers? There is one giveaway comment that suggest the media statement is not the work of the family. It refers to lack of remorse. The families of the deceased would have no idea of what an expression of Myanmar remorse would look like or sound like. Particularly seeing that remorse was expected to come from maybe innocent people found guilty. The scene is set for a handsome reward for some.

What a ridiculous post that is!!

I know not 100 % , but I still would love to have them that a Lie Detector Test.

1. Ask if they were tortured ?

2. Did they commit murder ?

I do not think they would know how to fool the test. And I would bring in the machine from UK, and the person also. Speak Burmese, also

I know not 100 % , but I still would love to have them that a Lie Detector Test.

I do not think they would know how to fool the test. And I would bring in the machine from UK, and the person also. Speak Burmese, also

So would I - the trace would look like an earthquake had just hit!!

Lie detector tests are for circus acts - not reliable and are not generally accepted by UK courts ..

There are so many posts to wade through here I would like to ask a simple question to get something clear.

Has any DNA belonging to the B2 been found on or in either of the murdered people? The UK examination said there was no sign of rape but what of foreign DNA?

Yes It was the DNA found in Hannah, DNA matched both rapists. also the defense were offered to retest it but turned it down instead focusing on the hoe that wasn't even part of the prosecutions case.

Hang on a minute Disco Dan: " rapists"?? the Norfolk coroner decided in the interests of justice to release " We found no evidence on the body that Hannah was raped"

the Norfolk coroner decided in the interests of justice to release " We found no evidence on the body that Hannah was raped" - please provide a link to that remark as it's extremely significant.

Incorrect. Stop spreading misinformation. The original DNA sperm samples, if they actually existed, were said to be all used up (which in itself is tantamount to a blatant untruth). The defence was offered a half-way house DNA profile which could have come from anywhere or anybody. Even spittle. That was rightly rejected by the defence.

You are the on spreading misinformation all samples were replicated, even if they produced original sperm you lot would of said the police must have given the B2 some hand relief

If that is the case then the police findings can also be replicated but they have not been and seemingly cannot be, Without replication the forensics are meaningless. That's why I feel so confused. The police say they have the forensic evidence but when others say they want to see it there is nothing there. If they really had it then the case would be conclusive which it, in many peoples minds, is not.

I can't help feeling that if the police had such a watertight case as they claim they would not have lost all the evidence.

For that alone heads should roll.

Edited by somo

Why didn't Scotland Yard say anything? Then why did they have to come? So you guys also don't trust them?

Scotland Yard went to observe the investigation.

They did not investigate anything.

They only observed.

Under UK law they are not allowed to comment on this case as it involves a death penalty.

The UK police have no jurisdiction in Thailand, and what ever folk think or believe they would never be part of another sovereign state's investigation where there is the possibility of a death sentence

Are you that blinded by your own eagerness to see these 2 men convicted that you cannot even read my post?

"I understand that some iPhones have the IMEI in different locations on the phone.. where exactly was the IMEI taken from in this phone."

jog on.

It seems that it was an i-4 so either from the Sim tray or the back of the phone. When the Miller's retrieved it , this could have been from the box or possibly the original purchase receipt.

It is hard to say whether or not the prosecutors did actually get the confirmation from the UK embassy or not but it did become clear that it could not be submitted in court because of this ridiculous business that they were not allowed to do so because if it would lead to a death penalty....

Regardless it was resubmitted - this time through the Thai Embassy in the UK.

So are you now you are going to say that the Thai Embassy officials can't be trusted or that they were bribed by a village headman??

And I would take it that the defense lawyers would have had a good look at the evidence. Or do you believe that they are incompetent as well - like every other Thai??

Why didn't Scotland Yard say anything? Then why did they have to come? So you guys also don't trust them?

Scotland Yard went to observe the investigation.

They did not investigate anything.

They only observed.

Under UK law they are not allowed to comment on this case as it involves a death penalty.

The UK police have no jurisdiction in Thailand, and what ever folk think or believe they would never be part of another sovereign state's investigation where there is the possibility of a death sentence

So the investigation went well or Scotland Yard would have made objections right?

If they were not allowed to say anything at all then what was the purpose of inviting them?

Koh Tao Murders: Court Says DNA Trumps Other Flaws in Case

We all have to say we respect the court's judgement, due to Thailand's draconian contempt of court laws. However, it is hard to see the DNA matches claimed by the police could be considered as incontrovertible. They provided no chain of custody, no documentation showing how the matches were made and claimed that the samples were "all used up" as an excuse to prevent any independent testing. Moreover the British Home Office pathologist's report casts doubt on whether Hannah was actually sexually assaulted at all. Apart from the semen DNA matches no other DNA evidence linked the defendants to the victims. It is strange in a rape case that both attackers neatly provided semen samples in the victim's body, while somehow avoiding leaving DNA traces anywhere else on the victim's body, e.g. under her finger nails, pubic hairs left behind and etc. That is not ti mention the lack of any DNA traces left on the murder weapon, the victim's clothing, which mysteriously disappeared, and the lack of any blood or other DNA traces on the attackers' clothing etc, etc. Whose blond hair was found in Hannah's hand and why did that disappear?

Given all of the above,. it seems odd that the court didn't take into account the possibility that the police invented the DNA matches. The only verification of the matches was the police's word and Thai police are hardly known for their truthfulness and integrity.

Edited by Dogmatix

jog on.

It seems that it was an i-4 so either from the Sim tray or the back of the phone. When the Miller's retrieved it , this could have been from the box or possibly the original purchase receipt.

It is hard to say whether or not the prosecutors did actually get the confirmation from the UK embassy or not but it did become clear that it could not be submitted in court because of this ridiculous business that they were not allowed to do so because if it would lead to a death penalty....

So are you now you are going to say that the Thai Embassy officials can't be trusted or that they were bribed by a village headman??

And I would take it that the defense lawyers would have had a good look at the evidence. Or do you believe that they are incompetent as well - like every other Thai??

The first part of your post is interesting, but its just conjecture and does not answer my original question.

Sadly you then then you went off on a tangent with some childish and puerile nonsense.

It is not ridiculous that the UK will not intervene in any case where there is a Death Sentence. It's UK law, and it's EU law.

Why would the UK risk its international reputation for diplomacy over 2 deaths, there is a lot more at stake.

Just for the record.

I've never once said anything about bribes, or Thais in general. If you had read my previous posts instead of rushing to spew-out ever more bloviation you would have understood what my agenda here on this thread is.

I do think the police's investigation leaves a lot to be desired. but I highly doubt that is down to sheer incompetence.

So did the thai autopsy maybe you want to explain how there semen ended up inside the victim?

jog on.

The millers got the number from Davids computer,

So did the thai autopsy maybe you want to explain how there semen ended up inside the victim?

Did you mean "their semen", or semen in general? Don't you think that it's normal for people this age to have sex?

A great example what can go wrong if one word doesn't fit.. Let's go eat grandma, or let's go eat, grandma? wai2.gif