kawasaki ern 650cc for long distance trips ?

dirtycash

if i did decide to get one of these would they be comfortable on say a 500 mile trip obviously putting a stop in here and there. i have been offered a 2013 model for 160.000 which seems reasonable, i love the look of these bikes and i have read that they are ideal for around town also. i would only be doing a long journey say once per every couple of months.

im stuck between buying a bike or a small car to get around while in thailand.

While I don't have a Kawa ERN 650 I bought a very similar bike, a Honda CB650F, especially for my long distance trips. Put a set of good panniers on it and it will be perfect for your trip and still be a great bike around town once you get there,. I say go for it. A pure touring bike might be marginally better but I haven't been sorry that I bought mine,.

I'd go bigger cc having done what you're thinking of. Simply because you get used to the power quickly and therefore strive for more.

However, you don't get something for nothing. Increased costs come with the increase in power.

Tyres petrol etc.

I'd go bigger cc having done what you're thinking of. Simply because you get used to the power quickly and therefore strive for more.

However, you don't get something for nothing. Increased costs come with the increase in power.

Tyres petrol etc.

Agreed about the bigger bike, but if it fits your spec then go for it. You won't be disappointed.

I have a Versys which is essentially the same bike, I got over 800km from it one day.

I also has the Versys which is the same base engine as the ern650, good engines, a bit dated, but still good.

If you can get comfortable on it, then you are good to go, you might want to fit a small screen on it for touring.

Yes one can easily be HP addicted but the 650cc bikes from Kawa & Honda are more than enough for Thailand and if I gonna upgrade it gonna be the new Triumph T120.

Going over 200km/h in Thailand is just too risky on +90% on the roads here, so again 650cc is enough for me.

papa laugh too much!

my2008 CBR150.

All over Thailand, Cambo, Laos.

>800 km/day once.

[we don't have miles here son.]

Caught myself hitting 140[indicated] today,

following a young Thai guy on an

ER6.

Fist-bump @ the stoplight.

thumbsup.gif

All-in-all, safer in a car tho.

My son in law is in A motorcycle club.He has the 650 Kaw.He's disappointed cause everyone has over 1000 CC's.He says they pull

Away from him.And when he takes his wife then he say's he's A lot slower.So I guess it'll do but they say bigger is better,lol.

My son in law is in A motorcycle club.He has the 650 Kaw.He's disappointed cause everyone has over 1000 CC's.He says they pull

Away from him.And when he takes his wife then he say's he's A lot slower.So I guess it'll do but they say bigger is better,lol.

Unless your taking about the wife!

I have an ERn6. In the US I owned and toured with liter bikes for years. The 650cc is perfectly adequate. There is something about us that always thinks bigger is better. We always want the biggest and the best. In reality, that's not necessary.

I have toured all over Thailand and found the ER to be great. Unless you are trying to set speed records or racing with your friends, the 650 has all the power you could ever need or want. It also has parts and service all over the country. You get into some of the bigger bikes and you can forget about widespread parts and service -- especially service. Think about this long and hard if you plan extensive touring.

As is the case with any stock bike I have ever ridden (including my US BMW), the seat will need to be rebuilt. I have sat on many stock seats that felt like heaven in the first instance (e.g., my US BMW). But I have never ridden a stock seat that didn't bruise the butt bones after 4 hours in the saddle (e.g.,my US BMW).

If you get the seat rebuilt, you MUST participate. Seats are science, not art. I have never yet met a Thai that had any understanding of this. The seat, under the skin, must be sculpted to fit YOU. YOU need to do the sculpting. I also fitted a gel pad into the sculpted foam. A Thai will build you a beautiful seat of which you can be proud, but your butt will be broke after 4 hours in the saddle. Go to the seat shop and have the guy strip off the cover. Then you spend the day riding and sculpting until you get it exactly right. You don't want to feel any contact points; it should feel uniform throughout. After you are sure you have it right, take it back to the shop for the guy to make the cover.

You can find a lot of information if you spend 3 or 4 hours researching bike seats on the Internet. It will be time well spent.

I can ride my ERn6 8+ hours comfortably on my rebuilt seat.

By the way, I am 170cm tall. The ERn6 is fairly low and fits me well. If you are much taller, consider the Versys instead. It is considerably taller, and will be more comfortable for a taller person.

One more edit. For touring add a windscreen or yu will be beaten to death. I put a full height windscreen on mine and have protection from both wind and rain.

If you are unhappy with the color, for about 10,000 baht you can change all the colored parts. I changed mine from black to red.

Here is a picture of mine outfitted for touring:

post-240396-0-35805700-1451006969_thumb.

Edited by PattayaClub

I can see how your SIL felt belittled by this.

People can be so heartless.

I can see how your SIL felt belittled by this.

People can be so heartless.

A Thai MC right ?

I guess it's one way to learn to ride, but when I see them ride I don't think most don't take experience / ability of the group into account.

Thai people ask me all the time, what club I belong to, I point at the wife - me and her, and show pics of her pushing me out of the mud.

Edited by recom273

https://www.kaidee.com/product-113283826/

what about this bike, the money looks ok for a 2013 reg. whats the difference in this and the ern 650. also what is the maximum tyre size/width of tyre i can put onto a ern 650cc

i also like this - https://www.kaidee.com/product-113246018/ good price ?

Edited by dirtycash

what about this bike, the money looks ok for a 2013 reg. whats the difference in this and the ern 650. also what is the maximum tyre size/width of tyre i can put onto a ern 650cc

Ehh, the difference is 400 cc less on the Z250. 400 cc that you will miss dearly once your on a highway, all packed up for your big adventure and with cars overtaking you at speed.

Sure, like the other guy said rather condescendingly, you can ride anything, hell. ..there was a guy on a Cub who rode from Australia to the UK, I think.

But ask yourself, is that the kind of adventure you're looking for?

As for the tire size...why would you want to increase the size??

Wouldn't pay 185,000 for that - you can pick them up with that mileage for 170,00 to 180,000. It has bling, but by the looks of it stock tyres, which imho are shit, would want to change them.

120 front and 160 rear - keep them stock size, it handles perfectly well stock, no need to be silly and put wider tyres on

I don't know too much about the price of an ER6 but it reads that it's been little used.

Try and get the maximum bolt-on extras such as power commander, upgraded suspension and a decent pipe.

Forget about the Z250 - with a 650 you get a nice balance of power, longevity and value for money. Maybe, you don't have a whole load of experience .. 650 is a nice start if you show it some respect.

Wouldn't pay 185,000 for that - you can pick them up with that mileage for 170,00 to 180,000. It has bling, but by the looks of it stock tyres, which imho are shit, would want to change them.

120 front and 160 rear - keep them stock size, it handles perfectly well stock, no need to be silly and put wider tyres on

Yeah, I wasn't going to say that .. Lol .. Seems a little over the top.

But if you like the bike - then negotiate and pay the price - don't let others tell you that "you can find that for 5-10k cheaper" you can also spend 5-10k chasing around the country, looking for the perfect bike / price.

BTW i'm no tyre expert but a pair of PR4s will set you back around 10k .. (I think) a good place to start.

I don't know too much about the price of an ER6 but it reads that it's been little used.

Try and get the maximum bolt-on extras such as power commander, upgraded suspension and a decent pipe.

Forget about the Z250 - with a 650 you get a nice balance of power, longevity and value for money. Maybe, you don't have a whole load of experience .. 650 is a nice start if you show it some respect.

your right, i no absolutely zilch about bikes, i like the look and feel of the 650 ERN. if i am going to buy a bike this will be the one, as i say i have read a few reviews and it seems these bikes are good in town and on open roads, good handling and of course they look great. i like the look of a bike like this with the big rear fat tyre, seen that on a ducati a few times so would like to have a big fat tyre on the ern , would this make handling any different ?

PS. i do not go for speed, once hit a pot hole in isaan at 125 kph , near put me off the road. i dont fancy doing the same on a bike and i suspect you wouldnt get up alive if this happened on a bike.

Edited by dirtycash

In search of "Iron Butt" awards..

I got a couple of them in the US some 9 years ago.

Think that could be done in Thailand.... Phuket to Chiang Rai 50cc of dirt...stamped by la migra?

By the way what do you like better for the long one.... CBR 650 F or the Er-n 6....better price on the honda of course, power lacks,, the Kawaii...seem fast..but to cruise..maybe not so comfortable.

Why the focus on 650's?

If you are looking for a touring bike but don't want to go too fast and don't want to spend too much, you could save a bundle of cash by looking at Honda's 500 series. These are fine for what you need. I wouldn't jump straight on an er6n if I had no experience.

Link to Honda here

Think that could be done in Thailand.... Phuket to Chiang Rai 50cc of dirt...stamped by la migra?

By the way what do you like better for the long one.... CBR 650 F or the Er-n 6....better price on the honda of course, power lacks,, the Kawaii...seem fast..but to cruise..maybe not so comfortable.

I have theERn6, but no matter WHAT bike you have, long distance riding is all about the seat. The seat will make you or break you, and I have never sat on a stock seat on a long ride in my life that was worth a shit. As mentioned above, I rebuilt my ER seat. In the US, I had a seat on my Beemer made by Rich's Custom Seats in Seattle. It was like riding on a Laz-e-Boy. It was expensive, but worth every penny. I always used leather with Rich's Seats, but could not find it here, so I'm stuck with vinyl. I did not live in Seattle, I rode over 1,000 miles to get a Rich's eat.

http://www.richscustomseats.com/process

Here's a vid:

Edited by PattayaClub

Where in Thailand can you have a custom saddle made?

Edited by seedy
foto on previous post

Why the focus on 650's?

If you are looking for a touring bike but don't want to go too fast and don't want to spend too much, you could save a bundle of cash by looking at Honda's 500 series. These are fine for what you need. I wouldn't jump straight on an er6n if I had no experience.

Link to Honda here

At first, that was the cc range.. the 'CB 500 X or the CBR 500 R....but would like the extra cc..