ASEAN benefits for residents from the Philippines visiting Thailand?

While people in Laos are very aware of it and several I spoke are making plans to work in Thailand soon. Must be an absolute horror scenario for the Thai rulers if people from other countries come to work in Thailand, people who are way more motivated, well skilled and working harder then the locals.

While people in Laos are very aware of it and several I spoke are making plans to work in Thailand soon. Must be an absolute horror scenario for the Thai rulers if people from other countries come to work in Thailand, people who are way more motivated, well skilled and working harder then the locals.

Nice anti Thai rant.

• Like 2

The ASEAN agreements do not allow for "freedom of movement" between States.

The present visa and work permit regulations will remain.

The "people in Laos" are sadly very misinformed as it seems are you.

Source?

I only found contradicting information, but do know a few who prepare for a move to Bkk such as two friends working for the ministery and others who talk about working in Thai.

Edited by flyDelight

Source?

Try Mr Google .

The ASEAN agreements are easy to find.

Source?

I only found contradicting information, but do know a few who prepare for a move to Bkk such as two friends working for the ministery and others who talk about working in Thai.

It's fine that they make plans, however as was mentioned above, there is no freedom of movement between the 10 countries. There are some specific professions that will have easier work permit application process, but still, an approval of a work permit will be needed.

Just google "free movement of persons in asean" to see lots of information about what is to be.

Here is a quote from "Issue in Brief" from December 2014:

post-194290-0-18690900-1451015969_thumb.

whistling.gif There is a woman from the Philippines working here in the residence where I live

She is University trained, originally as a Nurse, and speaks excellent English.

She has been in Thailand for several years now, has a valid work permit, and works here running the front desk and registration for this hotel/residence.

She is about 40 years old, and has two children in school in the Philippines.

She does the monthly billings for those who stay here....mainly because she is the only person who really understands the computer billing system here.

She does all the monthly billing and customer charges.

She is really a benefit to the Thai-Chinese family who operate this hotel/residence.

I'm not sure if ASEAN will benefit her or not.

Edited by IMA_FARANG

I noticed an interesting response by Burmese immigration officers while residing at Mai Sai for the month of October, 2015. I was staying in Mae Sai that month, and went over to Myanmar for the day, a couple of times. ( I'm a US passport holder, and after the Thais stamping me out of the country, ( I was a little over a couple of weeks into my 30 visa waiver allowed period, from being stamped in at Swampy ), the Burmese would not accept 500 baht from me to stamp my passport and cross over. They insisted on only ten dollars US currency. Rather than waste time denying I had any, and waiting them out, I just went ahead and paid them the ten bucks. They then gladly stamped me in and handed me my passport back. ( In the old days they used to kiss the passport, and hand you card that had your name and passport number, country of passport, etc., and you had to turn that in on your way back when exiting back to Thailand. This time, however, they just stomped me in, like at the Cambodian border, Swampy, Laos or anywhere else. BUT, what was REALLy interesting was that i had two other people with me, from the Philippines and, of course, they used Philippine passports. To my utter amazement, the burmese immigration personal said to them in english, "No charge to enter Myanmar, for our new ASEAN friends"!! So, my travel companions got in to Burma without paying any fee! ( I was wondering why they'd charge ME, too, since I thought perhaps Myanmar is signatory to the TPP, TransPacific Partnership, as is the Philippines, the US, Vietnam, Australia, etc. )? I did notice, that unless a Thai citizen has some sort of special permit, THEY had to pay to enter Myanmar too, and i don't think Thailand has decided to join, nor has been admitted to the TPP, yet, however I'm not fully up to date on all that? On coming back, no problem with the three of us getting stamped out of Burma, ( and they had quite an outage of electrical power interruption the two different days I was in Tachelik ). On re-entering the LOS, they stamped in with a new 30 day visa waiver, but gamey friends from the Philippines only a fifteen day visa free waiver.

Very wise of the people drawing up the ASEAN agreement not to include free movement of labour. Someone must have looked at the EU. Of course Thailand wouldn't get hordes of benefit scroungers, since there are no benefits to scrounge, but the B of E has just published a report concluding that the migration of semi and unskilled migrants from Eastern Europe has pushed down the wages of the British low paid workers.