Thai Embassy in Yangon issues alert after protest following Koh Tao ruling

Jonathan Fairfield

Thai Embassy in Yangon issues alert after protest

THE NATION

30275645-01_big.jpg?1451001313896

THE THAI Embassy in Myanmar has warned Thai nationals to take extra care while travelling in that country after some 30 people protested outside the mission following a court decision to give death sentences to two Myanmar migrants in the Koh Tao double-murder case of two Britons.

In a newsletter issued yesterday, the embassy said Myanmar's social-media users planned another protest outside the Thai Embassy today.

Foreign Ministry spokesman Sek Wannamethee said the protest yesterday dispersed peacefully in about an hour. He said Myanmar authorities had sent some 20 policemen to guard the Thai Embassy in Yangon.

"There have been no reports of any Thais in Myanmar being affected," he said yesterday.

The embassy's newsletter said, "[Myanmar] social media users are mobilising supporters for a protest in front of the embassy [today]. For your safety, we urge all to be extremely vigilant and to avoid identifying yourselves as Thai nationals if not necessary."

The Samui Provincial Court yesterday sentenced two Myanmar migrants to death for the brutal murders of two British tourists on Koh Tao in 2014. The defendants, Zaw Lin and Win Zaw Tun, showed no emotion after the verdict was read out. But inside the same courtroom, their mothers broke into tears.

The crimes committed by the two defendants made headlines across the world. On the otherwise idyllic island of Koh Tao in Surat Thani province, the battered bodies of David Miller and Hannah Witheridge were found in September last year.

The court found Zaw Lin and Win Zaw Tun guilty of many crimes, including murder, sexual violation of the female victim, and theft.

There was outrage among Myanmar social media users following yesterday's court ruling. "The Burmese are scapegoats as usual," a Facebook user said.

Meanwhile, the Myanmar government was considering seeking royal pardon for the two convicts, a senior Myanmar official said yesterday. If needed, the Myanmar government would appeal to the Thai Privy Council to commute the sentence, the President's Office director Zaw Htay wrote in his Facebook message, according to the Irrawaddy website. "The government will continue to help through diplomatic channels without damaging Thailand's sovereignty, its independent court ruling and bilateral relations between Burma and Thailand," he said.

The Thai charge d'affaires in Myanmar, Chainarong Keratiyut-wong, said the situation in Yangon was still normal without violence.

"Thai people can travel to Yangon normally, as there was no sign of aggression against Thai people. We have to wait until tomorrow to see if there is any movement, but I think there will be no violence here," he said.

The ruling, the court said, is based on solid evidence against the two Myanmar migrants. Among these crucial pieces of evidence are DNA test results. The court ruled as groundless the defendants' claims that they were tortured into confessing to the crimes during the interrogation process.

Defence lawyer Nakhon Chompuchat said he respected the court ruling but added that the defendants would file an appeal within a month. "As there were many disagreements on the validity of the evidence, we should be able to use this point to ask the Court of Appeals to look further," he said. However, he refused to disclose further details. Nakhon insisted that the case was not over yet.

His team members, officials from Myanmar embassies, and officials from human-rights bodies were seen trying to comfort the two convicts' mothers. "The verdict handed down to two Myanmar migrants in the Koh Tao murder case is too strong," commented Kyaw Thaung from the Myanmar Embassy special team. He noted that there was no witness in the case.

Andy Hall, a British activist who helped the defendants' defence, said Zaw Lin and Win Zaw Tun said they respected the court decision but were sure that on appeal, they would be freed and truth would prevail.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-12-25

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thais in Myanmar warned to be cautious

2412002-wpcf_728x409.jpg

The Thai embassy in Rangoon has warned Thai nationals living or travelling in Myanmar to take extraordinary cautions and to keep abreast with news developments following a protest by about 30 Burmese in front of the embassy on Thursday said Foreign Ministry’s spokesman Sek Wannamethee.

The protesters rallied in front of the embassy for about an hour to voice their opposition to the Koh Samui provincial court’s verdict condemning two Myanmar migrant workers to death after finding them guilty of the murder of two British backpackers, David Miller and Hannah Witheridge, on Koh Tao island last year.

The Myanmar government, said Mr Sek, has deployed more policemen, between 15-20, in front of the embassy as a precaution.

The protest was peaceful and lasted about an hour before the protesters dispersed, he added.

The embassy however reported that no Thais had been affected yet by the protest against the conviction verdict, said Mr Sek.

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-12-25

I've read most of the posts on the previous post but I am still confused. According to what I read the Thai chief forensic scientist stated they found NO DNA from either accused on the murder weapon (hoe).

My question is did they or did they not find any DNA from either accused on the condoms or the girl? Does anyone have the concrete "facts"?

Edited by SCARLETIBIS1

I've read most of the posts on the previous post but I am still confused. According to what I read the Thai chief forensic scientist stated they found NO DNA from either accused on the murder weapon (hoe).

My question is did they or did they not find any DNA from either accused on the condoms or the girl? Does anyone have the concrete "facts"?

The Thai police say they found semen inside the victim.

When challenged to produce the sample, they said it had all been "used up".

When challenged to produce the test results, they produced a one-page hand-amended document that was not credible and showed the boys DNA but not the source. It could have been the cheek swab test.

When challenged again, they declined to produce the test results.

An internationally-renowned expert has said what they provided is not evidence and the timeline was impossible.

The UK coroner found no signs of rape.

Do you believe the Thai police? I don't.

Shocking mess from start to finish. hard to conclude fact from fiction in this case but one thing certain is a lot of facts & investigation routes have been avoided & the lack of DNA evidence for secondary testing is typically thai police dodgy affair ! These 2 guys may of had some involvement but a lot more went on than been disclosed ... Thai police & thainess are to blame & I hope the people of the world take note & action as they see fit ...

Why in the world are these guys wearing "Honda" helmuts? Can't imagine this is good PR for Honda. Did they pay the police for the free advertising? Disgusting either way.

Perhaps Honda will cough up a suitable sum to assist their appeal

....we might have a new winner here...

...buddy...either you have not fully awakened from your slumber....or you are trying way to hard...

...no offense...generally you make some sense...this time though....

2412002-wpcf_728x409.jpg
The Thai embassy in Rangoon has warned Thai nationals living or travelling in Myanmar to take extraordinary cautions and to keep abreast with news developments following a protest by about 30 Burmese in front of the embassy on Thursday said Foreign Ministry’s spokesman Sek Wannamethee.
The protesters rallied in front of the embassy for about an hour to voice their opposition to the Koh Samui provincial court’s verdict condemning two Myanmar migrant workers to death after finding them guilty of the murder of two British backpackers, David Miller and Hannah Witheridge, on Koh Tao island last year.
The Myanmar government, said Mr Sek, has deployed more policemen, between 15-20, in front of the embassy as a precaution.
The protest was peaceful and lasted about an hour before the protesters dispersed, he added.
The embassy however reported that no Thais had been affected yet by the protest against the conviction verdict, said Mr Sek.
thaipbs_logo.jpg

-- Thai PBS 2015-12-25

The obvious question begging to be answered is why is there no protest at the Thai embassy in London???

2412002-wpcf_728x409.jpg

The Thai embassy in Rangoon has warned Thai nationals living or travelling in Myanmar to take extraordinary cautions and to keep abreast with news developments following a protest by about 30 Burmese in front of the embassy on Thursday said Foreign Ministrys spokesman Sek Wannamethee.

The protesters rallied in front of the embassy for about an hour to voice their opposition to the Koh Samui provincial courts verdict condemning two Myanmar migrant workers to death after finding them guilty of the murder of two British backpackers, David Miller and Hannah Witheridge, on Koh Tao island last year.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/thais-in-myanmar-warned-to-be-cautious

thaipbs_logo.jpg

-- Thai PBS 2015-12-25

The obvious question begging to be answered is why is there no protest at the Thai embassy in London???

Amnesty International is too preoccupied with the Russians in Syria...

2412002-wpcf_728x409.jpg
thaipbs_logo.jpg

-- Thai PBS 2015-12-25

Good point.

I believe Brits now simply take it for granted that police and courts and controlled by strong checks and balances as they are in the UK. And when things do go wrong, there are in-depth independent investigations to find out what went wrong.

They have no idea and also are unable to conceive of the duplicity, evil and total lack of morality of courts and police forces in developing nations like Thailand when there is a threat to the existing power and wealth structure.

Why haven't the Brits investigative team weighed in with their findings? Why would the family thank the Thai justice system if the evidence was flawed? There is something going on here that makes no sense whatsoever. My understanding is that the Brits were allowed to see all the evidence. What would be the point to view it all if they are gonna cover up a botched investigation? If in their view it was botched or justice denied in the first place why would they be afraid of the Thai government to speak out? Something is amiss here.

Edited by SCARLETIBIS1

Why in the world are these guys wearing "Honda" helmuts? Can't imagine this is good PR for Honda. Did they pay the police for the free advertising? Disgusting either way.

...buddy...either you have not fully awakened from your slumber....or you are trying way to hard...

...no offense...generally you make some sense...this time though..

Not sure who you are directing your post to but if I were the CEO of Honda I would be plenty pissed at Thailand for those helmut photos. Why would Honda supply helmuts for accused murders? How did the Thai police get the helmuts? Lots of questions here.

The Thai police say they found semen inside the victim.

When challenged to produce the sample, they said it had all been "used up".

When challenged to produce the test results, they produced a one-page hand-amended document that was not credible and showed the boys DNA but not the source. It could have been the cheek swab test.

When challenged again, they declined to produce the test results.

An internationally-renowned expert has said what they provided is not evidence and the timeline was impossible.

The UK coroner found no signs of rape.

Do you believe the Thai police? I don't.

Interesting, but where is your sauce of information from?... especially the findings from the UK coroner.

...no offense...generally you make some sense...this time though..

Not sure who you are directing your post to but if I were the CEO of Honda I would be plenty pissed at Thailand for those helmut photos. Why would Honda supply helmuts for accused murders? How did the Thai police get the helmuts? Lots of questions here.

Helmets? Or Helmut Schmidt?

Why haven't the Brits investigative team weighed in with their findings? Why would the family thank the Thai justice system if the evidence was flawed? There is something going on here that makes no sense whatsoever. My understanding is that the Brits were allowed to see all the evidence. What would be the point to view it all if they are gonna cover up a botched investigation? If in their view it was botched or justice denied in the first place why would they be afraid of the Thai government to speak out? Something is amiss here.

..........Diplomacy trumps all...........How many UK crooks/murderers flee to Thailand to escape justice..........UK authorities dont want to lose Thai co-operation in finding them and extraditing them back to the UK...................Also fear ot Thailand revealing UK involvement, or potentially losing future Thai collusion, in dubious international undercover activities such as 'extraordinary rendition'..........Diplomacy trumps all.

Burmese need to understand that they are considered expendable sub-human slave labourers in Thailand. They should also understand the system under military rule, since they've had 60 years of it. Whether the 2B committed the crimes they were convicted of or not is of no relevance here. There was other, more important priorities.