Thai Embassy in Yangon issues alert after protest following Koh Tao ruling

Jonathan Fairfield

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The best protest possible is for the local Burmese works pack up and go home. Then the Thais will feel the pressure. giggle.gif

Considering the fact that Burma now has someone with a bit of intelligence running the country there is a fair chance that the Burmese will soon start to return home and this will cause a huge loss of face if Thais have to start doing the work now delegated to Burmese.

The best protest possible is for the local Burmese works pack up and go home. Then the Thais will feel the pressure. giggle.gif

Considering the fact that Burma now has someone with a bit of intelligence running the country there is a fair chance that the Burmese will soon start to return home and this will cause a huge loss of face if Thais have to start doing the work now delegated to Burmese.

Won't happen. Why do people from Myanmar come to Thailand, to get work, which is not available in their country. Many would not have a clue about the B2 and really wouldn't care less. Their priority would be to make money and send that back to the families, not go on strike because two of their countrymen did or didn't commit murder.

Thai and Myanmar govts try to calm anger over death sentences

THE NATION

30275732-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK:-- THE governments of Thailand and Myanmar yesterday tried their best to calm the anger and dismay that led to protests outside the Thai Embassy in Yangon after a court sentenced two Myanmar migrant workers to death for the murder of two young British backpackers in 2014.

Yesterday, more than 1,000 Yangon residents showed up outside the Royal Thai Embassy from about 10.30am to protest and voice their dissatisfaction over the verdict.At the time of going to press, some 100 protesters were still camped outside the embassy, while monks lit candles in front of the building.

The Criminal Court in Surat Thani province convicted Zaw Lin and Win Zaw Htun of the brutal murder and rape of Hannah Witheridge, 23, and David Miller, 24, on the island of Koh Tao.

The Dagon township police forces blocked Manawhari Road by deploying more personnel than on Thursday, and also blocked the downtown Pyay Road.

Demonstrators stood on both roads that led to the Thai Embassy, with many holding signs saying "Shameless Thailand government", "Save Myanmar Poor Boys" and "Free Our Innocent Citizens", while others screamed "We want justice".

"This is just discrimination against us," demonstrator Min Thein Khaing told AFP. "There was little evidence, no witnesses and not much DNA proof, but they still got sentenced to death. It is unfair!" Comedian Khin Hlaing, who joined the rally, told reporters: "This cannot be regarded as only two lives of our |citizens. It is the image of our country. It is the dignity of our |government. Most Thai and Myanmar people believe that they did not kill the two Britons. So we believe it is a miscarriage of justice. We want to know the real truth. We need inclusive cooperation. All stakeholders including the government and non-government organisations are encouraged to join campaigns against the court's final decision."

Meanwhile, the Thai Ambassador to Myanmar met five monks, who handed over a letter addressed to His Majesty. The envoy promised the monks that the letter would be delivered and that he would tell the Thai government about the reactions in Yangon. The monks said later that the discussion was very fruitful and satisfactory.

The embassy's deputy chief of mission, who also met with the demonstrators, faced hostility and some protesters threatened to hit him with water bottles.

Separately, the Myanmar Journalists Association wrote an open letter to its Thai counterpart, urging it to seek "the truth behind the bureaucratic and judicial judgement".

The Myanmar Journalists Association thanked the Thai Journalists' Association for assistance during the recent flooding, and said it was time for them to join hands again to fight together for justice, human rights and democratic values.

Meanwhile, Information Minister Ye Htut and President's Office director Zaw Htay posted on Facebook that the Myanmar government would call on Thailand to review the case in line with Thai laws and regulations in order to ensure justice for Zaw Lin and Win Zaw Htun. They also said that the Myanmar Embassy here would work with other Myanmar organisations in Thailand to ensure justice for the two suspects.

Myanmar's Ambassador to Thailand Win Maung met PM's Office Minister Pannada Diskul yesterday morning to discuss the issue. After the meeting, he told reporters that the verdict would not affect diplomatic ties, adding, "I hope this case will receive special care and won't affect bilateral ties.

"Everyone who is a human, if they hear that they are getting the death sentence, they will be sad, but this is the legal procedure so we have to adhere to it. I told Panadda to look after the foundation of relations between countries," he said. "I very much hope that this case is looked after properly by the Thai government and let me tell you there will no problems affecting diplomatic relations because of this case."

In the meeting, Panadda also handed over US$11,879 (Bt430,613) on behalf of the government and people to the Myanmar envoy to help those affected by disasters in his country. The sum came from public donations in campaigns set up to help Myanmar nationals, the minister said.

Foreign Minister Don Pramudwinai said: "The investigations were already examined and certified by UK police about their confidence in our investigation. "I wish the protesters would understand that the ruling was done according to the laws. It is the start of the justice system."

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-12-26

I really cant understand why the victims families have accepted the verdict knowing full well the case was an absolute farce from beginning to end an absolute shambles and these two young boys literally have no recourse any appeal would in my opinion would be in vain .

It is next to impossible, for anybody that has not lived in Thailand as an alert aware person, to understand the Sakdina, third world, junta, Article 44, face saving, careful where you put your feet little kingdom...like a seasoned expat. Those grieving families never had a chance at true justice and closure with the UK patronizingly complicit in giving the junta a green light on the Koh Tao B2 railroad. The question becomes: What kind of influence must be in place to leverage the UK government to yield when there are enough Brit officials on the ground in LOS that can see the whole landscape? Or, has the time arrived when citizens are overtly discarded with impunity in the interest of what goes on under the table?

This whole case and the way it's been handled and the result of the trail is disgusting. I have always totally agreed and still do with death sentences. BUT YOU CANNOT SENTENCE PEOPLE TO DEATH WITHOUT 100% PROOF and this case does not have that proof, I believe as many people do that they are innocent of this crime.

This will cause many problems as can be already seen by whats happening in Myanmar now and has already been very damaging for Thailand's well known, very bad reputation of the legal system.

I truly hope these two young men are not executed and released, Under Thai law I don't know if the verdict can be revoked, I hope so.

By the way I am British and I am appalled of the murders of two of my fellow countrymen on that island and justice must be served, but in the correct way...

Edited by Hooliganzone

Like I was saying before:

Any other 2 Burmese migrant workers residing and working in the community would have suited the police agenda just as well while the outcome would have been the same or very similar while blaming the murders on someone else other than the person or persons who actually committed the crime.

I believe most people here would rather of heard the Police honestly inform everyone that they can not find enough concrete evidence to convict anyone for certain but we will continue trying.

I believe everyone here understands that crimes such as this can and do often go unsolved as there truly is not enough solid evidence to

convict anyone of the crime without making a wrong conviction.

But this is Thailand and the police have to be seen successfully catching the criminals while sending a message to everyone that says:

No matter what, the perpetrators will be caught and persecuted and convicted....so be aware the police will be diligent in their efforts to resolve the issue.

Cheers

I don't know if asking this is against forum rules, but is there any online petition to save these two boys? Thailand is a great country with lots of wonderful people. Killing two boys would only tarnish the reputation of this fine country. Maybe if everyone who reads this forum signed and forwarded a petition, it could make a difference.

I don't know if asking this is against forum rules, but is there any online petition to save these two boys? Thailand is a great country with lots of wonderful people. Killing two boys would only tarnish the reputation of this fine country. Maybe if everyone who reads this forum signed and forwarded a petition, it could make a difference.

That is part of the problem...Anyone who seriously voices their opinion and seriously protests and criticizes the authorities can and will be dealt with.

True that. I have been saying this for some time, that the Thais are running a huge risk in alienating the Burmese workers. I do not think they are even considering that possibility, as that thought would require some introspection, and taking some responsibility for a lot of the issues the Burmese workers face. But, things are improving back home, and one assumes they can only get better, relative to where they were under the despot dictator Than Shwe and subsequently under his henchmen, who disguised themselves as more liberal.

If this does start happening, Thailand is in serious trouble. I do not know how they could replace these migrant workers. Especially the ones involved in construction. The Burmese carpenters are known to be quite skillful, and work their butts off for 300-400 baht per day. I doubt there are many Thais who could step up to take their place. Friends of mine who have worked in construction here tell me most Thai men are not as skillful as the Burmese, won't work as hard, and do not take direction well, especially if it is coming from a foreign boss or supervisor. The Burmese are more fair minded, and more balanced in their approach towards work. Also, they are less xenophobic and less prone to false and foolish nationalism, and therefore easier to work with.

So, what kind of impact could this have on the Thai economy, if they have to start paying local people more money, to do construction work, restaurant work, cleaning, and other menial jobs? What about the fishing industry? What if the Burmese decide they do not need Thailand anymore, and stop coming here to work? Will the supply of slave labor dry up overnight? How would those shrimp boats operate? Where would Thai Union find their low cost laborers, and their slaves?

FACT: Credibility in the RTP and Thai justice system is not really high or good or transparent to be rated as a fair and objective. In fact if Expat of all countries living in Thailand were asked if they trust or had faith both institutions, I think we all know the answer to that.

FACT: Till today the Saudi Royal gem/jewelry heist and the murder of a Saudi diplomatic and numerous Thai nationals have not been solved, a case from the 80's till today.

FACT: It is all known that should any person; foreign or Thai be accused of any criminal act, the best us to plead guilty and before the sentence is announced to ask for forgiveness.. so whatever sentence should be a small, little, short as possible.

So this trial of the 2 Burmese lacks credibility and to make it worse the two defendants are Burmese who invaded Thailand 2, 3 occasions... So the sentence was a forgone conclusion.... whether they committed it or not but if they did, it would fair and we could say justice was done...... But what if they didn't do it? That means the real killers are still out there... Such is the credibility of the Thai justice system... no one really has faith in it especially with the present.....

The statement from Michael Miller is in itself intriguing to say the least as it only adds to the total confusion and conjecture of this tragedy . It may well be a case of him trying to convey a message by overstating to the point of it being questionable . Did Michael write the statement ? No mention of his brotherly love. Body language and expressions from the family gave little away.

We also have to remember that the families of the victims have access to this site and for that delicate reason discretion and compassion should be shown.

They have been living a nightmare for too long .

Protest outside Thai embassy in Myanmar against murder verdict
The Nation
30275655-01_big.jpg
YANGON - Hundreds of protesters demonstrated outside Thailand's embassy in Yangon Friday after two Myanmar migrants were sentenced to death by a Thai court for murdering two British backpackers, in a verdict that has sparked anger in their homeland.
Zaw Lin and Win Zaw Tun were found guilty on Thursday of killing David Miller, 24, and the rape and murder of Hannah Witheridge, 23, whose battered bodies were found on a beach on the southern Thai diving resort of Koh Tao in September last year.
The grim killings have sullied Thailand’s reputation as a tourist haven and raised questions over its justice system after the defence accused the police of bungling their investigation and using the men as scapegoats -- a charge authorities deny.
Hundreds of people, including monks, gathered in Yangon to protest the verdict, many saying they believed the two men had been wrongly convicted.
"This is just discrimination against us," demonstrator Min Thein Khaing told AFP.
"There was little evidence, no witnesses and not much DNA evidence but still they got a death sentence. It’s unfair."
Many held signs with English slogans such as "Save Myanmar Poor Boys" and "Free Our Innocent Citizens". Others held aloft pictures of Thailand’s King Bhumibol Adulyadej, saying they were appealing to him for clemency.
A police cordon stopped protesters demonstrating opposite the embassy itself, confining them to the end of the street instead.
The rally came as Myanmar’s ambassador in Thailand met with senior government officials.
"After hearing the verdict, as a human being I felt regret but it’s a judicial matter that still has to proceed," ambassador Win Maung told reporters through a translator.
"I hope this case will receive special care and won’t affect bilateral ties."
Thailand has warned its citizens to take care in Myanmar following the verdict.
Thai prosecutors and police insist their evidence against the men was rock solid, including DNA found on Witheridge’s body.
But the defence, which has vowed to appeal the verdict, disputed the forensic evidence, saying it was improperly collected and processed.
They also accused the police of torturing their clients into signing confessions, which they later retracted.
Amnesty International has called on Thai authorities to fully investigate the torture allegations, something the rights group said had yet to happen.
However the Thai authorities have received an endorsement from David Miller’s family who backed investigators after the verdict was announced, saying they believed the evidence against the two accused was "overwhelming".
The court in Koh Samui also dismissed the defence’s torture allegations.
nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2015-12-25

Very happy to see these protests. I hope they snowball into something huge, that gets the notice of the leaders here, who allowed this trial to proceed. I can understand why the Burmese people would be angry. They are treated like second class citizens in Thailand, even though they work hard, are relatively honest, and work for low wages. They have to deal with substandard conditions, and a government that accords them very little respect, kindness and hospitality.

Understanding Thai "law":

1) The party with the best connections and heaviest bank account ALWAYS wins.

2) Any evidence in favor of the premeditated convict in any case is ruled either circumstantial and/or void.

3) Reasonable doubt in favor of the premeditated convict in any case is non existent.

4) If the premeditated convict in any case is considered a potential future threat to the true culprits and/or the "investigating" officers and/or the judge, is it strongly advised to apply the death penalty.

Very easy and straightforward... No need to study law for many years.

Edited by MockingJay

"Thai prosecutors and police insist their evidence against the men was rock solid, including DNA found on Witheridge’s body."

Although I have no way of knowing for sure, I would suspect that, if the truth were told, the only "rock solid" thing would be the size of brown envelopes that have managed to change hands. coffee1.gif

Won't happen. Why do people from Myanmar come to Thailand, to get work, which is not available in their country. Many would not have a clue about the B2 and really wouldn't care less. Their priority would be to make money and send that back to the families, not go on strike because two of their countrymen did or didn't commit murder.

The photo showing a huge crowd protesting the verdict on the front of the BP proves you are wrong. They care very much. As to the Burmese government's mealy mouthed 'offering support', their envoy has 'accepted' the Koh Tao ruling. Disgusting. 'The Lady' should be ashamed of herself.

FACT: Credibility in the RTP and Thai justice system is not really high or good or transparent to be rated as a fair and objective. In fact if Expat of all countries living in Thailand were asked if they trust or had faith both institutions, I think we all know the answer to that.

FACT: Till today the Saudi Royal gem/jewelry heist and the murder of a Saudi diplomatic and numerous Thai nationals have not been solved, a case from the 80's till today.

FACT: It is all known that should any person; foreign or Thai be accused of any criminal act, the best us to plead guilty and before the sentence is announced to ask for forgiveness.. so whatever sentence should be a small, little, short as possible.

So this trial of the 2 Burmese lacks credibility and to make it worse the two defendants are Burmese who invaded Thailand 2, 3 occasions... So the sentence was a forgone conclusion.... whether they committed it or not but if they did, it would fair and we could say justice was done...... But what if they didn't do it? That means the real killers are still out there... Such is the credibility of the Thai justice system... no one really has faith in it especially with the present.....

But didn't somebody congratulate the police on a job well done? Can't remember who it was now, seems so long ago.

"Thai prosecutors and police insist their evidence against the men was rock solid, including DNA found on Witheridge’s body."

Although I have no way of knowing for sure, I would suspect that, if the truth were told, the only "rock solid" thing would be the size of brown envelopes that have managed to change hands. coffee1.gif

Well they could start by asking why the elephant in the room that was the original police officer who'd quickly identified the real murderers was so swiftly supplanted by the junta lap dog. Anyone?

Thai and Myanmar govts try to calm anger over death sentences
THE NATION
30275732-01_big.jpg
BANGKOK:-- THE governments of Thailand and Myanmar yesterday tried their best to calm the anger and dismay that led to protests outside the Thai Embassy in Yangon after a court sentenced two Myanmar migrant workers to death for the murder of two young British backpackers in 2014.
Yesterday, more than 1,000 Yangon residents showed up outside the Royal Thai Embassy from about 10.30am to protest and voice their dissatisfaction over the verdict.At the time of going to press, some 100 protesters were still camped outside the embassy, while monks lit candles in front of the building.
The Criminal Court in Surat Thani province convicted Zaw Lin and Win Zaw Htun of the brutal murder and rape of Hannah Witheridge, 23, and David Miller, 24, on the island of Koh Tao.
The Dagon township police forces blocked Manawhari Road by deploying more personnel than on Thursday, and also blocked the downtown Pyay Road.
Demonstrators stood on both roads that led to the Thai Embassy, with many holding signs saying "Shameless Thailand government", "Save Myanmar Poor Boys" and "Free Our Innocent Citizens", while others screamed "We want justice".
"This is just discrimination against us," demonstrator Min Thein Khaing told AFP. "There was little evidence, no witnesses and not much DNA proof, but they still got sentenced to death. It is unfair!" Comedian Khin Hlaing, who joined the rally, told reporters: "This cannot be regarded as only two lives of our |citizens. It is the image of our country. It is the dignity of our |government. Most Thai and Myanmar people believe that they did not kill the two Britons. So we believe it is a miscarriage of justice. We want to know the real truth. We need inclusive cooperation. All stakeholders including the government and non-government organisations are encouraged to join campaigns against the court's final decision."
Meanwhile, the Thai Ambassador to Myanmar met five monks, who handed over a letter addressed to His Majesty. The envoy promised the monks that the letter would be delivered and that he would tell the Thai government about the reactions in Yangon. The monks said later that the discussion was very fruitful and satisfactory.
The embassy's deputy chief of mission, who also met with the demonstrators, faced hostility and some protesters threatened to hit him with water bottles.
Separately, the Myanmar Journalists Association wrote an open letter to its Thai counterpart, urging it to seek "the truth behind the bureaucratic and judicial judgement".
The Myanmar Journalists Association thanked the Thai Journalists' Association for assistance during the recent flooding, and said it was time for them to join hands again to fight together for justice, human rights and democratic values.
Meanwhile, Information Minister Ye Htut and President's Office director Zaw Htay posted on Facebook that the Myanmar government would call on Thailand to review the case in line with Thai laws and regulations in order to ensure justice for Zaw Lin and Win Zaw Htun. They also said that the Myanmar Embassy here would work with other Myanmar organisations in Thailand to ensure justice for the two suspects.
Myanmar's Ambassador to Thailand Win Maung met PM's Office Minister Pannada Diskul yesterday morning to discuss the issue. After the meeting, he told reporters that the verdict would not affect diplomatic ties, adding, "I hope this case will receive special care and won't affect bilateral ties.
"Everyone who is a human, if they hear that they are getting the death sentence, they will be sad, but this is the legal procedure so we have to adhere to it. I told Panadda to look after the foundation of relations between countries," he said. "I very much hope that this case is looked after properly by the Thai government and let me tell you there will no problems affecting diplomatic relations because of this case."
In the meeting, Panadda also handed over US$11,879 (Bt430,613) on behalf of the government and people to the Myanmar envoy to help those affected by disasters in his country. The sum came from public donations in campaigns set up to help Myanmar nationals, the minister said.
Foreign Minister Don Pramudwinai said: "The investigations were already examined and certified by UK police about their confidence in our investigation. "I wish the protesters would understand that the ruling was done according to the laws. It is the start of the justice system."
nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2015-12-26

I hope it makes a difference and it resolves some or all of the issues at stake here.

The heart felt protests coming from the Burmese public at large makes for an emotional issue ...but then you hear the Burmese Government officials speak out as if their own country ( under their iron handed administration ) never has anything like this going on in their supposedly wonderfully just and democratic country.

We all know well the Burmese Governments long recognized track record of human rights violations that are ongoing as we speak throughout Burma.... every day.

However, in this case, any help the 2 Burmese nationals can be afforded by way of their government officials speaking on their behalf and protesting their convictions is all positive and hopefully helpful.

Just saying...and just reminding people.

Cheers

".....However the "Thai authorities" have received an endorsement from David Miller’s family who backed investigators after the verdict was announced, saying they believed the evidence against the two accused was "overwhelming".

What sort of reporting is this? For a start which authorities? Who do these authorities represent and what are the authority's names? These nameless, stateless departmentaless authorities, may or may not be part of the Thai government that we have been told we cannot criticize, for fear of lengthy prison sentences. One presumes these nameless, stateless authorities, must be fair game to criticize.

As far as an endorsement of the verdict goes, since when does the opinion and or beliefs of the victim's families, already desperate for closure, become part of the raison d’être behind a death sentence? This is idiocy, both legally and logically. Experts some of whom at one time or other were involved in the case and then dispensed with, criticized the reporting of the case and the reported collection and presentation of evidence heavily.

We know juries are not part of Thai law, is "beyond a reasonable doubt" also a dispensable concept?

These aspects of Western law have been two benchmarks of considerable value in reaching for a fair justice system. It is a pity the two accused are so far removed from these safeguards of justice in this country.

The statement from Michael Miller is in itself intriguing to say the least as it only adds to the total confusion and conjecture of this tragedy . It may well be a case of him trying to convey a message by overstating to the point of it being questionable . Did Michael write the statement ? No mention of his brotherly love. Body language and expressions from the family gave little away.

We also have to remember that the families of the victims have access to this site and for that delicate reason discretion and compassion should be shown.

The statement from Michael Miller borders on racial discrimination. And that may explain the family satisfaction with the verdict no matter the evidence - two Asian brown skins will be killed for the murder of the two Brit victims. An "eye for an eye" according to the Christian creed. Racism cares little about equality and justice.

I agree with you that any post regarding the family statement on the steps of the court needs to be dealt with in a sensitive manner.

Having seen the various TV coverage I think it might have been more helpful if one of the members of the family had not been taking photo's on a smart phone behind the brother as he approached the top of the steps.

I posted much earlier that I had concerns about what appeared to be a prepared, typed, A4 statement, with the reader not having to refer to it much. The photo shoot did not alleviate these concerns.

Clearly, you will have to read between the lines as to what worried me.

This case smells really bad. Thai police tampering with evidence, releasing potential guilty Thai citizens and not investigating those who left the island on the day of the murder, doubtful DNA tests, torture of the accused, withholding evidence from criminal defender's lawyers, qualify this case for the dismissal. World is watching. It put Thailand in a bad light and its justice system in jeopardy.

Are you advocating that this forum follow the Thai justice model and deploy smoke and mirrors? Please explain how sugar-coating LOS behavior and this case is good for the grieving families.

The photo showing a huge crowd protesting the verdict on the front of the BP proves you are wrong. They care very much. As to the Burmese government's mealy mouthed 'offering support', their envoy has 'accepted' the Koh Tao ruling. Disgusting. 'The Lady' should be ashamed of herself.

Not wrong at all. I said many, so quite legitimate to say so. It's like everything, you will always get a number who will protest, and I am not saying they are wrong in doing so, it's up to them but there are many more who would not have any knowledge of the incident, therefore would not express themselves one way or the other. They say about 1000 attended, not a huge crowd given the size of the population, equates to about 0.002 percent. As for those working in Thailand throwing away their jobs, highly unlikely and to get Thais to do the menial task undertaken by those from Myanmar, you might as well wait until the cow jumps over the moon.

Edited by Si Thea01

I really cant understand why the victims families have accepted the verdict knowing full well the case was an absolute farce from beginning to end an absolute shambles and these two young boys literally have no recourse any appeal would in my opinion would be in vain .

It is next to impossible, for anybody that has not lived in Thailand as an alert aware person, to understand the Sakdina, third world, junta, Article 44, face saving, careful where you put your feet little kingdom...like a seasoned expat. Those grieving families never had a chance at true justice and closure with the UK patronizingly complicit in giving the junta a green light on the Koh Tao B2 railroad. The question becomes: What kind of influence must be in place to leverage the UK government to yield when there are enough Brit officials on the ground in LOS that can see the whole landscape? Or, has the time arrived when citizens are overtly discarded with impunity in the interest of what goes on under the table?

Quote Or, has the time arrived when citizens are overtly discarded with impunity in the interest of what goes on under the table? unquote The answer is YES!! If your a square peg looking at a round hole things can be engineered to make you fit.

Edited by elgordo38