Law and Order: Seeking asylum in Thailand

Jonathan Fairfield

Law and Order: Seeking asylum in Thailand

Phuket Gazette

post-137452-0-22145600-1451011454_thumb.

PHUKET: Last week, I met with an American who wanted to apply for a tourist visa for his Thai wife. The American has lived in Thailand for about four years. I asked him why he was living in Thailand instead of the United States with his wife. What he told me was a bit jarring.

He said, “I am an economic refugee. If I lived in the United States, I would be living in a trailer home, worried about getting sick and feeding myself.” He informed me that what he receives from his monthly pension provides him with a comfortable life that would not be possible if he lived in the United States. Of course, he is not a refugee. He is in Thailand by choice.

However, there are large groups of people who have been forced to leave their home country because of persecution, war, or natural disasters. According to the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees, there are nearly 100,000 registered refugees and asylum seekers in camps along the Myanmar border. The refugees are provided basic food, shelter, medical care and schooling through NGOs.

In Bangkok, there are many non-registered asylum seekers and refugees who are hidden within the city. They typically entered Thailand on some type of visa and never left the country. They remain in Thailand without permission and hide themselves away for fear of being found and returned to the place of their persecution.

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2015-12-25

Nothing "shocking" about this. I know a lot of ex-pats who are here for the same reasons. I, myself, fall into that category. Back in the States my income would be just under $46,000 a year. Not poor, but definitely lower middle income. On that I could live "comfortably", of sorts, but no "frills" by any means.

Here in Thailand, that same income allows me to have a beautiful home, nice car, 3 motorbikes, and do with my family the things I want. Somethings we paid cash for, others we financed, then made additional payments to pay them off early. Bottom line - There is no way I could have the same lifestyle back in the U.S. that I have here.

Nothing "shocking" about this. I know a lot of ex-pats who are here for the same reasons. I, myself, fall into that category. Back in the States my income would be just under $46,000 a year. Not poor, but definitely lower middle income. On that I could live "comfortably", of sorts, but no "frills" by any means.

Here in Thailand, that same income allows me to have a beautiful home, nice car, 3 motorbikes, and do with my family the things I want. Somethings we paid cash for, others we financed, then made additional payments to pay them off early. Bottom line - There is no way I could have the same lifestyle back in the U.S. that I have here.

All fine and dandy until your health declines. Unless covered by very good insurance, the bills mount fast...and Thailand becomes very expensive.

I know many who live an OK life in the US on very little income. Just depends on where you live, as is also true here. Some things are cheaper here, some things more expensive.

All fine and dandy until your health declines. Unless covered by very good insurance, the bills mount fast...and Thailand becomes very expensive.

I know many who live an OK life in the US on very little income. Just depends on where you live, as is also true here. Some things are cheaper here, some things more expensive.

I have two very good Thai health insurance policies. My wife was a top sales rep for both Siam Commercial Life and Muang Thai insurance.

Edited by Just1Voice

A strange article.

The first two paras could describe thousands of retirees here who have found their money buys a better quality of life in Thailand. It seems unrelated to the main crux of the story.

The article then goes on to describe the life of a family of Pakistani overstayers hiding out in Bangkok with the collusion of a church. It appears they made a rod for their own backs by publically converting to Christianity while living in a strict Muslim country. They then entered a country that is not a signatory to the convention, to apply for refugee status. Not a good move as Thailand has demonstrated previously that when located, they will return such people to their country of origin.

A series of bad decisions by the head of the family.

the same can be said for many of the "refugees" pouring into Europe these days. A very large numer of these are purely economic refugees and have paid for their travel to EU borders with cash. Tehy are not broke nor hungry, they just fancy trying their hand in a different country but couldn't get the visa by going to the embassy of their chosen destination. Germany is currently weeding out lots of these people, for repatriation.

What's the difference between a Syrian chancing his luck to get into Germany and an American chancing his luck to get into Thailand? ;)

I have two very good Thai health insurance policies. My wife was a top sales rep for both Siam Commercial Life and Muang Thai insurance.

My friend had a policy with one of these companies. Due to an unusual occurrence during surgery, they got out of paying for anything....He eventually had to leave Thailand and go back home so he could make money to pay off the bills....and get "free" health care back there.

My friend had a policy with one of these companies. Due to an unusual occurrence during surgery, they got out of paying for anything....He eventually had to leave Thailand and go back home so he could make money to pay off the bills....and get "free" health care back there.

Sure, they will try to screw you every way they can, but when I had my stroke, they covered just about everything.

A strange article.

The first two paras could describe thousands of retirees here who have found their money buys a better quality of life in Thailand. It seems unrelated to the main crux of the story.

The article then goes on to describe the life of a family of Pakistani overstayers hiding out in Bangkok with the collusion of a church. It appears they made a rod for their own backs by publically converting to Christianity while living in a strict Muslim country. They then entered a country that is not a signatory to the convention, to apply for refugee status. Not a good move as Thailand has demonstrated previously that when located, they will return such people to their country of origin.

A series of bad decisions by the head of the family.

Not just strange, but baffling!

Who are this well fed, chirpy looking family smiling at the camera, with the women in full muslim headgear? They can't be the American and his brood, he has a Thai wife; or are they the Christian refugees? They are obviously dressed for the cold and people are passing behind in overcoats, so they are clearly not in Thailand. What has the picture to do with the article? Advice to the newspaper editor - "If you are going to do this type of article get a distraught looking woman to wave a baby, it pulls the heartstrings more effectively."

Complete drivel reporting.

"Some things are cheaper here, some things more expensive."

I think it's cheaper to live in rural USA. Almost all consumer goods are cheaper in the US. There's always an angle to get health insurance even if that means choosing a state that has expanded Medicaid. Of course there also are no visa etc. costs.

Some states and some cities are far more expensive than others. Real estate values can vary wildly. I don't have a house payment and taxes are low where I am so housing isn't in the equation. If it was, give me $US30K and I'll find a very decent double wide on acreage which I can own and within 30 minutes of a town big enough to have a big hospital, doctors' clinics and major shopping. I'd start with Arkansas for the weather and Medicaid if I didn't already have a home and Medicare Medigap.

IMHO a lot of expats move to Thailand and live alone and don't even speak the language. I might live alone but at least I'd belong in the culture. I'd soon get to know people.

Cheers.

The medical bills in Thailand are much less expensive then the USA. Last year I broke my kip bone. I went to a private hospital close to DhonMuang The Total bill was about $6000.00. I asked by brother a Dr, in the USA and he told me it would cost over $200,000.00. The medical facilities and health care in Thailand is excellent. The reason I did not go to a provincial hospital, which would have been less was because of the timing.

Except for health care, I think prices balance out IF you know where to shop for food. (I admit I've never lived in a big city though)
Land prices are through the roof here in Phuket, although rent is cheaper.

Food is about the same if you cook and shop right in the states.
(can actually be more expensive here in Phuket)

Restaurants are cheaper here of course.

But the biggest differences are the weather and the beach.

(and the size of the girl's butts of course)

Those last 3 sold me.