3 Entry Permit

is it true that, since 1 october, if you do not have a consular visa, you can go consecutively to take your 30 days entry stamp at the border only 3 times and after that you have to leave thailand for 3 months ?

I take it you haven't logged on to ThaiVisa much in the past month, eh? :o

ovenman, that doesn't really help and thailand11 you might want to try doing a search before posting a topic.

In answer to your question, you can currently stay in Thailand for a maximum of 90 days without a visa (30 day visa on entry) not 3 entry stamps as some people are saying, then you must leave the country for 90 days before return. The days are counted not the entry stamps.

Your other option is to obtain a (multiple entry) tourist visa from a consulate or embassy before entering the country and then extending it. It seems that after that we are all currently in the dark about the options available as no one has had to deal with that. We will have to wait til Jan 1st 07 for more stable info.

OliG

ovenman, that doesn't really help and thailand11 you might want to try doing a search before posting a topic.

In answer to your question, you can currently stay in Thailand for a maximum of 90 days without a visa (30 day visa on entry) not 3 entry stamps as some people are saying, then you must leave the country for 90 days before return. The days are counted not the entry stamps.

Your other option is to obtain a (multiple entry) tourist visa from a consulate or embassy before entering the country and then extending it. It seems that after that we are all currently in the dark about the options available as no one has had to deal with that. We will have to wait til Jan 1st 07 for more stable info.

OliG

what happens to the people which has been staying in the kingdom for years since today (more than 90 days) and has been continuing continuing to make visa runs every month ? They must go away ?

OliG

what happens to the people which has been staying in the kingdom for years since today (more than 90 days) and has been continuing continuing to make visa runs every month ? They must go away ?

That is exactly what it means.

Why is that so Baboon? What information do you have that indicates that back to back tourist visas are not going to be allowed in the future?

I would really like to know for sure the new policy on this, so considering that you are in the know, how about giving us a clue as to the source of your information.

Edited by tropo

Why is that so Baboon? What information do you have that indicates that back to back tourist visas are not going to be allowed in the future?

None. They were discussing back-to-back thirty-day entries (without visas), not back-to-back tourist visas.

None. They were discussing back-to-back thirty-day entries (without visas), not back-to-back tourist visas.

Ovenman, the essence of the discussion (whole thread) is whether people will be able to stay in Thailand long term as tourists. Whether it's a 30 day stamp or a tourist visa is incidental to this topic.

How about we all contribute useful information rather than nitpicking.

Edited by tropo

Ovenman, the essence of the discussion (whole thread) is whether people will be able to stay in Thailand long term as a tourist. Whether it's a 30 day stamp or a tourist visa is incidental to this topic.

How about we all contribute useful information rather than nitpicking.

So all this means that, if I come from out of thailand with triple entry visa, using it with 3 extensions, I can remain inside nearly 8 month and half, without being constricted to stay out of the kingdom for 8 month and half after the first 8 month and half. Or not ?

They start counting on 1. Oct, so around christmas they are indeed in trouble. There will be huge wave of persons moving to the embassies around new year. Prepare yourself that this will have an influence to the nearby consulates and embassies (i hope a good influence, so that they stamp each passport without much checking just to keep the line of waiting people short).

So all this means that, if I come from out of thailand with triple entry visa, using it with 3 extensions, I can remain inside nearly 8 month and half, without being constricted to stay out of the kingdom for 8 month and half after the first 8 month and half. Or not ?

Correct. If you are entering Thailand using visas, there is no cooling off period as it were. The "90 days allowed in a 180 day period" concept only applies to entries that are made with the thirty-day entry stamps (i.e. no visa).

For the scenario you describe, the question then becomes can you obtain that triple-entry tourist visa and will you be able to obtain it again when your current set of visas expire. For that, there is no clear answer at this point.

Not quite. If you have a 3-entry tourist visa, that'll will account for 9 months in Thailand (providing you enter on the first day of your visa)...and add 3 x 30 day stamps and you're in for a year.

Then you can go back to whatever embassy issued you with a 3-entry tourist visa (proabably your home country) and do it all again. Doing it this way, you would only have received 5 x 30 day stamps in a whole year and well under the limit.

Good luck!

THailand11

"what happens to the people which has been staying in the kingdom for years since today (more than 90 days) and has been continuing continuing to make visa runs every month ? They must go away ?"

No, thay should apply for a visa through a consulate or embassy. All the people using the visa on arival have been taking advantage of a loop hole which they are now closing. It does however seem like they are trying to stop people who actually pay for visa's a hard time by stopping/limiting that too but it's not certain yet.

I'll confirm today about 30 day and 15 day extensions, I assumed that this would be common knowledge but it seems not.

Has anyone called immigration and asked about extension on tourist visa??

OliG

Edited by OliG

Has anyone called immigration and asked about extension on tourist visa??

OliG

I almost given up using phones in Thailand. I don't speak Thai and always find it a waste of time.

Good luck with your extension application and I look forward to hearing some good news from you about it later today.

Edited by tropo

To be honest with my experience of asking questions full stop has not been that great. Just trying to get a phone line fitted here in my home took over a year. That was with Thai friends trying to help me out, running round in circles only to find out after 3 months of being told it would be possible to then being told that there were no spare lines available and I would have to wait another 3 months. That was 6 months ago lol.

I will however try and clarify this as I'm sure others will want to know but just remember that the Thai way is just give any answer regardless of wether they know or not.

Another point is that I got my tourist visa before the 1st of October so I don't know if that will make a difference either.

Dr Pat Pong lover of wine women and song seems to think the 15 day is a no go.

I'll let you know and thanks.

OliG

Edited by OliG

is it true that, since 1 october, if you do not have a consular visa, you can go consecutively to take your 30 days entry stamp at the border only 3 times and after that you have to leave thailand for 3 months ?

I take it you haven't logged on to ThaiVisa much in the past month, eh? :o

:D There has been a radio announcement thursday and I have had this confirmed by my own solicitors here.The new immigration laws have been cancelled they are going back to the 1997 charter.

Thai Embassies and Consulates will now only issue a maximum of two entries of TR tourist visa's.

You opinion or facts. I called a consulate in Essen/Germany and they told me, no problem with triple entry. If you only send in passports without explaination (city travel to Hong Kong and Singapour) you might get only a two entry. But i never heard that the triple entry is history.

You opinion or facts. I called a consulate in Essen/Germany and they told me, no problem with triple entry. If you only send in passports without explaination (city travel to Hong Kong and Singapour) you might get only a two entry. But i never heard that the triple entry is history.

Dr Pat Pong, please don't confuse opinions with fact. We need to know the truth here and it would help if you didn't offer your opinions as "fact".

There has already been mention of some people picking up 3-entry tourist visas on this forum. Recently a guy wrote of 3-entry tourist visa still being available in KL.

Some good advice so far. Im afraid im not gonna be able to add any useful information as such, rather id like some advice......id like to go to Thailand sometime after xmas for a year or so, reason for this stay is because i want to stay with girlfriend and family and also want to practice my boxing at a muay thai gym.

I was going to enter the country on a 30 day stamp, then cross the border 3 times. Once i had maxed my 90 day visa stamp allowance i was then going to try to obtain a single entry (or try my luck and get a double entry) Tourist Visa. What do u think? Maybe i should do it the other way round? Go to an embassy here in the UK to obtain the tourist visa, before i arrive in Thailand...then once that has expired rely on the 30 day stamps? what do u reckon?

If i apply for a tourist visa outside of the UK can u advise what embassies are preferable (local to Thailand).

Thanks in advance for any help u may be able to give....

Edited by loki00

Some good advice so far. Im afraid im not gonna be able to add any useful information as such, rather id like some advice......id like to go to Thailand sometime after xmas for a year or so, reason for this stay is because i want to stay with girlfriend and family and also want to practice my boxing at a muay thai gym.

I was going to enter the country on a 30 day stamp, then cross the border 3 times. Once i had maxed my 90 day visa stamp allowance i was then going to try to obtain a single entry (or try my luck and get a double entry) Tourist Visa. What do u think? Maybe i should do it the other way round? Go to an embassy here in the UK to obtain the tourist visa, before i arrive in Thailand...then once that has expired rely on the 30 day stamps? what do u reckon?

If i apply for a tourist visa outside of the UK can u advise what embassies are preferable (local to Thailand).

Thanks in advance for any help u may be able to give....

Get a multiple entry Non-Immigrant visa from a Consulate in the UK before you leave. Purpose to study Muay Thai.

Dr Pat Pong, please don't confuse opinions with fact. We need to know the truth here and it would help if you didn't offer your opinions as "fact".

There has already been mention of some people picking up 3-entry tourist visas on this forum. Recently a guy wrote of 3-entry tourist visa still being available in KL.

I am NOT into passing on hearsay as fact. Them's the NEW rules.