Need advice on new stop, rear turn lights.

jobin

Thought i would install some new brighter rear-end lights on my ride. Got some brilliant LED red lamps from local shop.

I plan a large red lamp on inside upper center of rear window.

Just like the newest car models; my car old.

Turn signals at the back end a bit more troublesome. At least i can't decide if to install a very bright red lamp directly inside the current housing, or to install one lamp in each bottom corner of rear window. If two separate locations, one low/one high, maybe more visible to other drivers. No doubt the large brake lamp, up high, will be seen by all.

Any ideas or comments?

Thought i would install some new brighter rear-end lights on my ride. Got some brilliant LED red lamps from local shop.

I plan a large red lamp on inside upper center of rear window.

Just like the newest car models; my car old.

Turn signals at the back end a bit more troublesome. At least i can't decide if to install a very bright red lamp directly inside the current housing, or to install one lamp in each bottom corner of rear window. If two separate locations, one low/one high, maybe more visible to other drivers. No doubt the large brake lamp, up high, will be seen by all.

Any ideas or comments?

Don't you just hate following someone at night with their rear fog lights on when there is no fog. Or what looks like a Christmas Tree.

It's good to be seen, sometimes following bright red lights is not that pleasent. Well my eyes certainly don't think so.

So please don't overdo the brightness just incase I follow you one evening ...

Now that blue lighting underneath ...that is something

Happy New Year

Edited by JAS21

Don't waste too much of your time worrying where the lights will be best positioned, if they're anything like the vast majority of the aftermarket stick-on LEDs the individual ones will start failing shortly after installation and you'll be ripping them all out in no time.

What makes you think your rear lights are inadequate?

High-level brake light, yes good idea.

If your tail lights are fading maybe after-market (or even new OEM) lenses are the answer.

Whatever you do, consider that whoever is following you is using your rear lights as a cue to what you are doing. Bright tail lights may mask the brake lights and turn signals leading to you getting rear-ended - exactly the situation you aim to avoid.

Would what you intend doing be legal in your home country, if not why would you do it here?

No, no. Not tail lights, only rear blinkers and brake lights. And i won't be ripping out the old ones, only augmenting them. The super bright lamps on other cars annoy me too but my 'lenses' are old and crusty, finding replacements really not in the cards.

These 3 lamps will be very easy to install and remove if need be. (i think). Maybe it's coz of all my recent driving after dark, now dark here in CM at 6pm, and my wish for a good night-time signature, and to help the other drivers see me that gets me involved.

I'm spending under 200 baht, so can hardly go far wrong. Won't be touching the current lamps, only clamping onto the wires.

Legal? I have no idea either here or in Tennessee. But generally we don't care for the nanny state notion and get along fine with lanterns on the buggies.

Yeah, i thought of amber. Maybe, depending.

And the 'resistor' idea...ordinary car bulbs, old kind, uses far more current than LED bulbs. When replacing old bulbs with LED the system only weakly recognizes the current drain, since so small. Result is 'hyper-flashing' and other ills. So if totally replacing old bulbs with LED, then need resistor to send back info to car brain.

But i will not be replacing old bulbs only adding 2 tiny new LEDs.

Once installed i will give an update. Will check on amber, thnx.

Yeah, i thought of amber. Maybe, depending.

And the 'resistor' idea...ordinary car bulbs, old kind, uses far more current than LED bulbs. When replacing old bulbs with LED the system only weakly recognizes the current drain, since so small. Result is 'hyper-flashing' and other ills. So if totally replacing old bulbs with LED, then need resistor to send back info to car brain.

But i will not be replacing old bulbs only adding 2 tiny new LEDs.

Once installed i will give an update. Will check on amber, thnx.

Depending on what? you say your lenses are old & crusty so what make , model and year is it?

Thnx, Ace. Thought for a second you would tell simply to replace the car.

Decades ago, after oil was discovered on AmIndian Reservations and some redIndians became very rich overnight, when their Cadillac ashtray was full of butts, the owners simply traded for a new car.

I like to do it myself so will fix as i see fit, legally, i guess.

• 5 weeks later...

Job finished and owner, me, very happy. Bought two LED amber motorbike light fixtures at big bike shop and had homemade red LED lamp about 3 inches square. Made a support holder from bamboo strip, laid on top of rear inside deck and attached to rear vents with cable ties. Wired up and now looks good, tells the world my intentions more clearly and costs only pennies. Thus, a win-win for the old car.

Job finished and owner, me, very happy. Bought two LED amber motorbike light fixtures at big bike shop and had homemade red LED lamp about 3 inches square. Made a support holder from bamboo strip, laid on top of rear inside deck and attached to rear vents with cable ties. Wired up and now looks good, tells the world my intentions more clearly and costs only pennies. Thus, a win-win for the old car.

LED's... Brilliant!

Bamboo... excellent!

Tie wraps... clever!

What? No velcro?

5 out of 10

(must try harder)