Chicago police officer responding to call fatally shoots 2

rooster59

Chicago police officer responding to call fatally shoots 2

CARYN ROUSSEAU, Associated Press

CHICAGO (AP) — A Chicago police officer shot and killed two people early Saturday while responding to a domestic disturbance call on the city's West Side, police said.

Quintonio Legrier, a 19-year-old college student, was pronounced dead at a hospital at 4:51 a.m., and Bettie Jones, a 55-year-old mother of five who was Legrier's neighbor, died at a different hospital at 5:14 a.m. Both were black, according to the Cook County medical examiner's office.

Autopsies have not been scheduled, medical examiner's office spokeswoman Becky Schlikerman said.

Police did not disclose the race of the officer, how long the officer has been with the department or the officer's current work status. The shootings happened around 4:25 a.m. after officers who responded to the call "were confronted by a combative subject," the Chicago Police Department said in a statement.

The shootings come at a time when the Chicago Police Department is the subject of a federal civil rights investigation, which came after the release of a video showing white officer Jason Van Dyke shooting black 17-year-old Laquan McDonald 16 times in 2014. Van Dyke faces six counts of first-degree murder and one of official misconduct in the death of McDonald and is scheduled to be arraigned Tuesday.

The release of the McDonald shooting video led to protests and the forced resignation of former Chicago Police Superintendent Garry McCarthy.

Legrier's mother, Janet Cooksey, told the Chicago Tribune that her son was studying engineering at Northern Illinois University. She said he had graduated from Gwendolyn Brooks College Preparatory Academy in Chicago and "was going somewhere."

Cooksey, who was not present at the time of the shooting, told the Chicago Tribune that her son had been dealing with mental issues, but said police didn't have to react the way they did.

"We're thinking the police are going to service us, take him to the hospital. They took his life," she said.

She said her son "didn't have a gun. He had a bat."

Chicago police didn't immediately respond to an email from The Associated Press for additional comment. It is not clear from the police statement if either Legrier or Jones were armed or if any video or audio recordings of the incident were available.

Cooksey said she wants a personal apology from Mayor Rahm Emanuel for what happened to her only child.

"Are we gonna get protected or is the police just gonna keep taking lives?" Cooksey said. "I mean, whose gonna answer these questions?"

Emanuel's office didn't immediately respond to a request for comment from The Associated Press.

Melvin Jones, the brother of the woman killed Saturday, said his sister had celebrated Christmas at her apartment Friday with about 15 other relatives. He said she "had an excellent Christmas."

He said Bettie Jones lived in a first-floor apartment with her boyfriend and was the mother of four daughters and a son. Her children range in age from 19 to 38. They include 19-year-old twins.

"There are so many questions and no answers," Melvin Jones said. "I'm numb right now. Right now there's a whole lot of anger, a whole lot of tears. ... I don't have time to feel. I have a funeral to prepare."

Police said the shooting is under investigation and the case has been referred to the city's main police oversight agency. Independent Police Review Authority spokesman Larry Merritt confirmed Saturday that the agency was investigating an officer-involved shooting but had no further information.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-12-27

I hope there is a lot of followup on this one. Heck, right now there is virtually no information at all. They won't even say the race of the cop, which, of course, everyone wants to know.

You don't show up to a "domestic argument" alone. Was he alone or did he have a partner with him?

Chicago police kill 2 during domestic disturbance call

CHICAGO -- A Chicago police officer responding to a domestic disturbance call Saturday accidentally shot and killed a 55-year-old woman, who was among two people fatally wounded, police said late Saturday.

Relatives said Bettie Jones lived downstairs from Quintonio LeGrier, the 19-year-old subject of the initial call to police, who also was killed by the officer.

Officers who responded to the call "were confronted by a combative subject resulting in the discharging of the officer's weapon," the Chicago Police Department said in a brief statement.

"The 55-year-old female victim was accidentally struck and tragically killed," reads the statement, which extends "deepest condolences to the victim's family and friends."

More here - CBSNews

Chicago cop fatally shoots 19-year-old student and accidentally kills 55-year-old mother of five after responding to domestic disturbance

The Chicago Police Department was under fire again Saturday after cops responding to a domestic disturbance call fatally shot a 19-year-old college student and a 55-year-old mother of five.

Officers were summoned to the West Garfield Park home about 4:20 a.m. after Quintonio LeGrier, 19, started threatening his father with a bat, neighbors and relatives said.

The fatal confrontation that ensued claimed the lives of LeGrier and Bettie Jones, who lived on the ground-floor apartment of his father’s two-story home, authorities said.

Chicago police initially released few details on the shooting, saying only that an officer opened fire after they were “confronted by a combative subject.”

But late Saturday, the department admitted that Jones was struck by a bullet meant for LeGrier. LeGrier’s father told reporters he had called the police and then Jones — warning her not to open her door until the officers showed up.

Read more here - nydailynews

Police have become highly militarized in many countries, including my home country Canada.

It may have very little to do with race. The black officers act just the same as the white. Many

are good, others are scared, a few are thugs themselves. The one thing I do believe is the

blue line of silence and" we protect our own prevails". All officers should be wearing cameras.

No cameras and there statements have no more credibility than any other witness. Maybe

even less as they have an agenda and bias to justify there own actions. We shall see what

comes to pass. My condolences to the families of the dead. RIP.

I hope there is a lot of followup on this one. Heck, right now there is virtually no information at all. They won't even say the race of the cop, which, of course, everyone wants to know. You don't show up to a "domestic argument" alone. Was he alone or did he have a partner with him?

What difference does it make what race the cop was?

I hope there is a lot of followup on this one. Heck, right now there is virtually no information at all. They won't even say the race of the cop, which, of course, everyone wants to know. You don't show up to a "domestic argument" alone. Was he alone or did he have a partner with him?

A hell lot! If he is white that is? Remember Ferguson. Edited by Wilsonandson

Maybe we need "no go" zones in Chicago.

There are already 59 "No go" zones in Chicago at the last count which are identified by the police on a map. The zones are mainly where criminal gangs are located.
And there are those who call Thailand lawless! Edited by saakura

Two things that could shorten your life here on earth...

1. Spend a night in a hospital...

2. Call in the police to resolve a domestic dispute...

(This is not a black vs white issue...it is a police vs the public issue...)

In both cases...there is a culture of lying and covering up wrong doing...to protect their own at the public's expense...

Edited by ggt

There is no excuse for "bad cops" if that is the case here.

A police force is not the general public where naturally there will be a certain percentage of wacko and just evil people.

Unlike members of the public,Police officers are selected, trained and supervised.

There should be no "bad cops".

There is something very wrong with the selection, training and supervision process in American police forces today!

A hell lot! If he is white that is? Remember Ferguson.

Yes, I do remember what happened in Ferguson. A white police officer shot a black gang banger who attacked him. Like I said, what difference does it make what race the cop was?

A hell lot! If he is white that is? Remember Ferguson.

Yes, I do remember what happened in Ferguson. A white police officer shot a black gang banger who attacked him. Like I said, what difference does it make what race the cop was?

I am willing to bet that the shooter and the victim were both of the same race.

The human race.

I'm missing the gun control crowd a little bit for this case of a mass killing (Just kidding, I'm not).

But if the question arises about stricter gun control enforcement regarding the parasitic, costumed guild, I'm very much in favour of it - And this time I'm not kidding, unfortunately.

The information about this case is quite incomplete, to say the least (maybe due to some of these loathsome pc cult rules?) but it wouldn't be the first time that a police officer is not fit to use his gun at his discretion.

Who knows if the intended person to be shot deserved deadly force, but the fact a mother of 5 was shot accidentally indicates very poor training to me. I heard on the dispatch the kid just had a bat. A well trained cop should be able to take out a kid with a bat without using a gun and if they are not training them to do that then they should. Whatever happened to tasers?

Yes, there are still a lot of facts missing here, so right now I'm just musing.

Police have become highly militarized in many countries, including my home country Canada.

It may have very little to do with race. The black officers act just the same as the white. Many

are good, others are scared, a few are thugs themselves. The one thing I do believe is the

blue line of silence and" we protect our own prevails". All officers should be wearing cameras.

No cameras and there statements have no more credibility than any other witness. Maybe

even less as they have an agenda and bias to justify there own actions. We shall see what

If you look up the most conservatively produced figures from liberal institutions, you'll see that blacks do more crime and yet they get shot and killed by police in more or less direct corrolation to their respective liklihood to do crimes. This is racially divisive. In the Zimmerman case, he's clearly got black as cole relations and he's on the far extreme of what you'd call white.

If they gave the police cameras there'd be a massive issue. A lot of them are semi-retarded bully victims who are the last people who should be doing the job and obviously this has a knock on effect to their ability to deal with stress (the higher your IQ, you live longer as you learn to live better and therefore you don't die. I think stress is the biggest killer, but that part's an opinion based on lots of things, but people do stupid things when they're stressed and they also seem to be prone to boyuts of cancer when they've had a big upset).

Some states have an official rule not to recruit police with an IQ of 100 or more. These people litterally can't manage life in general. They can't get them going about with cameras or they'd give themselves heart attacks through worry. They'd have to get in high intelligence people with fully functioning brains in every police position. I had one give me a ticket a while ago for riding on the pavement. He ran into the road and almost caused a massive accident---yes, I was on the road when he stopped me. He then proceeded to draw a bit of a crowd with his similarly runtish partner. I was in two minds about beating them and scarpering as they grabbed me in the road and it was totally uncalled for and dangerous. I looked at the two runts and couldn't bring myself to do it. It would have sent them into deep depression as they were subhumans and they could never deal with it. I did proceed to ridicule them in front of the crowd, but it wasn't really fair as they had no brains. In the end I got a ticket with a licence plate on it, but bikes don't have licence plates. I just ignored it obviously, but these kinds of low lives are unfortunately and they could not get them to wear cameras and think it would work.

They're really cranking up the racial tension in the US. However I do have a major question. When there were the lynchings in the South, what was the deal there? I know the figures are actually not that massive, so it wasn't that common, but there's something behind this. Why were people doing that at all? The whites weren't all degenerate scum as portrayed and if you look at the photos a lot of them look like affluent, educated people. I badly want to know what was going on there. This is the kind of thing I'm suggesting. Could it actually be a massive fabrication or what was it. I just don't believe they'd do it as it's not normal, and bringing your children along, come on.

Recently there's been a state official apology in one place there where they executed an black eight year old (I forget how old) several decades ago, but he was stunted in growth and ran his family out of town, saying he'd murdered two little girls when he probably wouldn't have been capable. I'll save the details of the execution and the sham trial as they'll be very upsetting, but some man admitted the murders on his death bed. Even a Thai wouldn't think that this was acceptable and they seem to have zero morals when push comes to shove, so what's the explanation, AND, why is all of this coming out now? I just don't see how these things were happening as whites do have the highest morals and whereas there's fluctuation, it's really hard to get them to do bad stuff without a lot of kinivery. I can't see it happening in a small town as people would object and stop it. I obviously know that this leads to one clanger of a conclusion, but tribe members are a protected species.

If you look up the most conservatively produced figures from liberal institutions, you'll see that blacks do more crime and yet they get shot and killed by police in more or less direct corrolation to their respective liklihood to do crimes. This is racially divisive. In the Zimmerman case, he's clearly got black as cole relations and he's on the far extreme of what you'd call white.

If they gave the police cameras there'd be a massive issue. A lot of them are semi-retarded bully victims who are the last people who should be doing the job and obviously this has a knock on effect to their ability to deal with stress (the higher your IQ, you live longer as you learn to live better and therefore you don't die. I think stress is the biggest killer, but that part's an opinion based on lots of things, but people do stupid things when they're stressed and they also seem to be prone to boyuts of cancer when they've had a big upset).

Some states have an official rule not to recruit police with an IQ of 100 or more. These people litterally can't manage life in general. They can't get them going about with cameras or they'd give themselves heart attacks through worry. They'd have to get in high intelligence people with fully functioning brains in every police position. I had one give me a ticket a while ago for riding on the pavement. He ran into the road and almost caused a massive accident---yes, I was on the road when he stopped me. He then proceeded to draw a bit of a crowd with his similarly runtish partner. I was in two minds about beating them and scarpering as they grabbed me in the road and it was totally uncalled for and dangerous. I looked at the two runts and couldn't bring myself to do it. It would have sent them into deep depression as they were subhumans and they could never deal with it. I did proceed to ridicule them in front of the crowd, but it wasn't really fair as they had no brains. In the end I got a ticket with a licence plate on it, but bikes don't have licence plates. I just ignored it obviously, but these kinds of low lives are unfortunately and they could not get them to wear cameras and think it would work.

They're really cranking up the racial tension in the US. However I do have a major question. When there were the lynchings in the South, what was the deal there? I know the figures are actually not that massive, so it wasn't that common, but there's something behind this. Why were people doing that at all? The whites weren't all degenerate scum as portrayed and if you look at the photos a lot of them look like affluent, educated people. I badly want to know what was going on there. This is the kind of thing I'm suggesting. Could it actually be a massive fabrication or what was it. I just don't believe they'd do it as it's not normal, and bringing your children along, come on.

Recently there's been a state official apology in one place there where they executed an black eight year old (I forget how old) several decades ago, but he was stunted in growth and ran his family out of town, saying he'd murdered two little girls when he probably wouldn't have been capable. I'll save the details of the execution and the sham trial as they'll be very upsetting, but some man admitted the murders on his death bed. Even a Thai wouldn't think that this was acceptable and they seem to have zero morals when push comes to shove, so what's the explanation, AND, why is all of this coming out now? I just don't see how these things were happening as whites do have the highest morals and whereas there's fluctuation, it's really hard to get them to do bad stuff without a lot of kinivery. I can't see it happening in a small town as people would object and stop it. I obviously know that this leads to one clanger of a conclusion, but tribe members are a protected species.

Your statement, "Some states have an official rule not to recruit police with an IQ of 100 or more," is disingenuous. You referred to a court case from one police department in the U.S. that has absolutely nothing to do with police departments nationwide.

This incident is about the Chicago Police Department. If one were to have a low IQ and applied to this police department, they would be hard pressed to get through the selection process much less than their police academy.

There is limited information that has been released other than the suspect had a baseball bat. In a confined area, a man with a baseball bat would certainly be a serious threat.

Your post makes for a good argument of why Thai Visa posters should be required to meet some sort of minimum IQ requirement.