Justifying giving toddlers alcohol

luke000

Personally i don't think there are any rules about giving giving kids alchol - what really matters is the way you as a parent and as a role model handle you behaviour as a drinker and as a responsible adult. If you come home drunk ,get argumentive or abusive, drive when drunk , then this will have more effect on your childrens future outlook on life than wether you give them a shandy at christmas time when they are in their early teens.

Absolute garbage, there is no excuse for giving children alcohol, so stop spouting nonsense.

If you cared to do a bit of research instead of wearing blinkers, you would see that a lot of European countries have been giving their children at meal times, small glasses of diluted wine, with no ill effects. In fact, as I mentioned, there seems to be a reduction in binge drinking. Now you can either accept the facts or continue to bury your head in the sand, but absolute garbage it's not.

Are you kidding? Giving toddlers and children alcohol. It is absolute garbage.

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/03/31/living/feat-sipping-alcohol-kids-drinking-impact-parents/

This latest study follows a report last year, also in the Journal of Studies on Alcohol and Drugs (PDF), that analyzed a number of studies all coming to the same conclusion: Offering even small amounts of alcohol to children could lead to negative outcomes.

The lady in question who was giving her five year old alcohol to drink , and it wasnt just a quick sip, it was constantly filling up his glass as he drank it, was to show how"mature" her son was IMO .

There was another lady there with a four year old boy and she gave him a 500 ml bottle of coke to drink, proudly, whilst my two tear old son is still breastfeeding and hes never drank any fizzy drinks at all , although, he did have some pure orange juice for the first time at the table .

And they commented about two years old is to old to be breast feeding .

Anyway, fast forward one hour and the alcohol drinking boy had to be dragged home, shouting and screaming and the coke drinking boy was running around on a sugar rush and so also had to be taken home, buy his mother .

My boy was sat at the table, behaving himself and walked home at 1 am and went straight to sleep and slept for ten hours

• 3 weeks later...

There's no such thing as a sugar rush.

So you are saying that there is no such thing as carbohydrates affecting blood sugar levels?

No. I'm saying there's no such thing as a sugar rush.

Absolutely true.

If it wasn't, every person with diabetes type 2 would be hyper-active.

Absolute garbage, there is no excuse for giving children alcohol, so stop spouting nonsense.

If you cared to do a bit of research instead of wearing blinkers, you would see that a lot of European countries have been giving their children at meal times, small glasses of diluted wine, with no ill effects. In fact, as I mentioned, there seems to be a reduction in binge drinking. Now you can either accept the facts or continue to bury your head in the sand, but absolute garbage it's not.

Are you kidding? Giving toddlers and children alcohol. It is absolute garbage.

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/03/31/living/feat-sipping-alcohol-kids-drinking-impact-parents/

This latest study follows a report last year, also in the Journal of Studies on Alcohol and Drugs (PDF), that analyzed a number of studies all coming to the same conclusion: Offering even small amounts of alcohol to children could lead to negative outcomes.

I don't support giving alcohol to toddlers, but I am critical of the study you linked.

As far as I understood the methodology, they just looked at all sippers without determining if the sipper comes from a family with alcohol problems which handles alcohol irresponsibly.

I would risk the assumption that when the father or mother is a heavy drinker, they are more likely to not only let their child sip but also let their child have a full drink too early as well as give the child bad habits.

In my opinion, this is a flaw in the study.

I don't support giving alcohol to toddlers, but I am critical of the study you linked.

As far as I understood the methodology, they just looked at all sippers without determining if the sipper comes from a family with alcohol problems which handles alcohol irresponsibly.

I would risk the assumption that when the father or mother is a heavy drinker, they are more likely to not only let their child sip but also let their child have a full drink too early as well as give the child bad habits.

They did a study, you assume. Basically you won, it is good and safe to give toddlers sips of alcohol.

They did a study, you assume. Basically you won, it is good and safe to give toddlers sips of alcohol.

what a knee jerk post of yours.

for your information, I just went further than the abstract and read that they had indeed tracked drinking history of parents - so I stand corrected, I was wrong in my above post.

The stupidity was more on your part, for not minding your own business to begin with. whistling.gif

As I didnt actually say anything and I didnt get involved, what bit do you consider to be "stupid"? Myself seeing the toddler being given alcohol or myself posting it on here .

Whatever it is, it can hardly be regarded as being "stupid"

Sure it's stupid... You're born gay... No amount of beer or religion would help turn gay people straight..

That's my onion..

I'm not gay!!!

Last year went to a birthday party for a 3 year old Thai boy.. Two kids boy/girl - 2/3 years old - both from Thai parents where getting served small cups of beer - small shots of whisky and kept coming back for more..

I tried telling them it was not good to it... But it didn't matter... I just made sure my 5 year old wasn't offered any, plus he wouldn't drink alcohol anyway.. Knock on wood....

The 2 seemed to be enjoying themselves all night... The following morning the boy said his head hurt - his mother LOL... The little girl was fine and pointed at the whisky bottle and smiled..

The road to Pattaya starting at an early age..

The stupidity was more on your part, for not minding your own business to begin with. whistling.gif

As I didnt actually say anything and I didnt get involved, what bit do you consider to be "stupid"? Myself seeing the toddler being given alcohol or myself posting it on here .

Your written words: When questioned about giving alcohol to toddlers, her reply was "I dont want him to grow up to be gay". If you were not the person who directly asked that question, then perhaps your taking a course in the fundamentals of English Composition, would be a more appropriate suggestion, instead. Cheers,wai.gif

Edited by NativeSon360

Your written words: When questioned about giving alcohol to toddlers, her reply was "I dont want him to grow up to be gay". If you were not the person who directly asked that question, then perhaps your taking a course in the fundamentals of English Composition, would be a more appropriate suggestion, instead. Cheers,wai.gif

My gf spoke to her in Thai and asked about giving her son alcohol , it was only later when we got home that my gf told me how their conversation went, ie the reason .

My English above is quite comprehensible, You just assumed that it was me who asked her, but whereas I didnt actually say that it was me. So, dont criticize MY English when its you who just assumes things and gets your assumptions wrong

My gf spoke to her in Thai and asked about giving her son alcohol , it was only later when we got home that my gf told me how their conversation went, ie the reason .

My English above is quite comprehensible, You just assumed that it was me who asked her, but whereas I didnt actually say that it was me. So, dont criticize MY English when its you who just assumes things and gets your assumptions wrong

whistling.gif Just from reading the exchange flow between your(OP)self, and NS, I'd say that NS has made a valid point. You wrote in the first, not third person scenario. Thus, your meaning could easily be misconstrued, by any reader of the English language. I further agree with his original reply, re: "minding your own business"

In addition, FYI - while minding your own business, consider this: Your Thai (girl) friend, could have placed you (farang) into a very precarious position, had the "father" of that child been present-on-the-scene, and had taken serious exception to a "farang's" gf long-nosing about his family business; especially when being confronted in a public place, and thus causing him to lose face, in public. You really do need to put a muzzle on your gf's mouth, especially when she's together with you, in public drinking places. Otherwise, your gf will risk getting you (farang) into a serious pickle someday, here in the LOS,....for sure. Just a friendly word to the wise, sir.coffee1.gif

Edited by TuskegeeBen

Nothing in the OP implies that he was the one who asked the question - as any competent reader of English would have understood. The sentence in question was certainly not written in the first person - the person is referred to as 'her', not 'I'.

whistling.gif Just from reading the exchange flow between your(OP)self, and NS, I'd say that NS has made a valid point. You wrote in the first, not third person scenario. Thus, your meaning could easily be misconstrued, by any reader of the English language. I further agree with his original reply, re: "minding your own business"

In addition, FYI - while minding your own business, consider this: Your Thai (girl) friend, could have placed you (farang) into a very precarious position, had the "father" of that child been present-on-the-scene, and had taken serious exception to a "farang's" gf long-nosing about his family business; especially when being confronted in a public place, and thus, causing him to lose face. You really do need to put a muzzle on your gf's mouth, especially when she's together with you, in public drinking places. Otherwise, you'll get yourself into a serious pickle someday, here in the LOS,....for sure. Just a friendly word to the wise, sir.coffee1.gif

The boy who got giving alcohol is my sons best friend , his mother is a good friend on my gf and her bf is an acquaintance of mine, on nodding terms .

There was a big group of us having a Christmas drink and as she was giving her son alcohol, the topic cropped up in conversation .

They are happy giving their kids alcohol, whilst we do not .

Its OK, we just have differing opinions .

We didnt get upset, they didnt get upset and we are all still friends .

In addition, FYI - while minding your own business, consider this: Your Thai (girl) friend, could have placed you (farang) into a very precarious position, had the "father" of that child been present-on-the-scene, and had taken serious exception to a "farang's" gf long-nosing about his family business; especially when being confronted in a public place, and thus, causing him to lose face. You really do need to put a muzzle on your gf's mouth, especially when she's together with you, in public drinking places. Otherwise, you'll get yourself into a serious pickle someday, here in the LOS,....for sure. Just a friendly word to the wise, sir.coffee1.gif

The boy who got giving alcohol is my sons best friend , his mother is a good friend on my gf and her bf is an acquaintance of mine, on nodding terms .

There was a big group of us having a Christmas drink and as she was giving her son alcohol, the topic cropped up in conversation .

They are happy giving their kids alcohol, whilst we do not .

Its OK, we just have differing opinions .

We didnt get upset, they didnt get upset and we are all still friends .

Ok then. That's a totally different scenario, than what was originally presented. Unlike some some posters, I do not have the "know-it-all" farang crystal ball available. And, knowing Thai blokes, as I do, my concern was more that you could have been un-intentionally putting yourself (potentially) in harms way. Nothing more than that, intended on my part. Cheers wai.gif

Edited by TuskegeeBen

I further agree with his original reply, re: "minding your own business"

So, I was sitting there, listening to a conversation, which I could barely understand . I made no comment , didnt speak .

So, how exactly am I supposed to "mind my own business " more so than which I did do ?

Should I get my gf and go and sit together in a corner , stare at the walls and listen to "We wish you a merry Christmas"? being played

So, I was sitting there, listening to a conversation, which I could barely understand . I made no comment , didnt speak .

So, how exactly am I supposed to "mind my own business " more so than which I did do ?

Should I get my gf and go and sit together in a corner , stare at the walls and listen to "We wish you a merry Christmas"? being played

You're right! I'm wrong! Ok? Adios, whew!coffee1.gif

You're right! I'm wrong! Ok? Adios, whew!coffee1.gif

Yeah OK, just a misunderstanding .

It wasnt until we got home that my gf told me about the "being gay" remark .

As there was a large group of people there , I have no idea who asked her about giving her son alcohol , that is why I wasnt specific about who asked her .

A few Songran's ago, I was drinking at a beer bar on Suk Soi 22 and there was a Scottish guy (from Kirkintilloch...apparently taught at an all-girls school in BKK) drinking there with his wife and kids drinking there too. He and his wife kept giving their sons (one was still in a pram) gulps of beer. By the end of the day, they must have drank a bottle (probably more) each. The kids were reaching out for it and begging for it too. It was unbelievable to see.