Pattaya Police focus on drink-drivers over Festive period

webfact

Pattaya Police focus on drink-drivers over Festive period

check-5.jpg?fit=610%2C393

PATTAYA: -- The Provincial Police Commander has confirmed reports that this year they are focusing heavily on punishing drink-drivers in Pattaya as ordered by Prime Minister General Prayut and the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO).

New Year Checkpoints began in Pattaya on 25th December and will continue through until 1st January. Police and Police Volunteers will be looking to pull-over drivers of motorbikes, cars, pick-ups and commercial trucks, in search of those who decide to take control of their vehicle whilst under the influence of alcohol.

According to the Department of Land Transport, drivers who have had their licenses for over five years are allowed to have a Blood Alcohol Content (BAC) of 0.05% when behind the wheel, while newer drivers are only allowed to have a 0.02% BAC level. For drivers of commercial vehicles such as Taxis and trucks, drivers must have a 0% BAC level.

Full story: http://pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/220146/pattaya-police-focus-on-drink-drivers-over-festive-period/

pattaya-one.jpg
-- Pattaya One 2015-12-28

If that article is correct it means that all holders of 1 or now 2 year "provisional" licences only have a limit of 0.02?

I thought that was for drivers of commercial vehicles?

Can you even have 1 beer with that limit..............?

Why don't they just have a zero tolerance,then they're can be no shades of grey only black&white.No one can clearly state how much you can have,as everyone has different tolerance levels to alcohol or any other drug for that matter,and variying factors come into play with any given individual.

Why don't they just have a zero tolerance,then they're can be no shades of grey only black&white.No one can clearly state how much you can have,as everyone has different tolerance levels to alcohol or any other drug for that matter,and variying factors come into play with any given individual.

I have some sympathy with this idea. However, I think the problem is that someone could refrain from drinking at a Christmas dinner and then have one of those chocolates that have a bit of liqueur inside them. I think it happened once somewhere in a reported case that went to court.

I avoid drinking and eating these chocolates because of that.

The problem with breath testing is exactly that, having used mouthwash can give a positive reading, as eating chocolate just before a breath test can lower the reading, to mention only a couple of scenarios that can lead to misdiagnosis, let's not also forget the lack of calibration of breath testing equipment (this can be proven if you search it).

The only way to get a true BAC reading is the obvious, from a blood test.

They need working breathalizers to take reading so it will never happen.

Already happening, have faith, lets get rid of all the lunatics, both thai and non thai, from the roads, a menace to society.

Lunatics?

Get a grip

That's what they are, lunatics, are you trying to say that drunk drivers are not lunatics??

Should have their cars confiscated and banned from driving for life.

Only in Pattaya?? What about the rest of Thailand?

20 scooters/vehicles seized in Nakon Sawan so far so I guess not only in Pattaya.

Great, glad to hear it, I live near Nakhon Sawan, and I have only seen one instance of police checking vehicles or motorbikes in ten years.

If that article is correct it means that all holders of 1 or now 2 year "provisional" licences only have a limit of 0.02?

As far as I know the 0.02% is for driver who have held a licence for less than 5 years.

Maybe but how would they know? Is there a start from date which takes account of a renewal of a 5 year licence? What if you have had 3 or 4 1 year and then 2 years into a 5 year - how can they tell.

As far as I know the 0.02% is for driver who have held a licence for less than 5 years.

Maybe but how would they know? Is there a start from date which takes account of a renewal of a 5 year licence? What if you have had 3 or 4 1 year and then 2 years into a 5 year - how can they tell.

I dont know to be honest, I cannot find anymore info other than it being mentioned on that lawyeyonline website.

They need working breathalizers to take reading so it will never happen.

Already happening, have faith, lets get rid of all the lunatics, both thai and non thai, from the roads, a menace to society.

Lunatics?

Get a grip

That's what they are, lunatics, are you trying to say that drunk drivers are not lunatics??

Should have their cars confiscated and banned from driving for life.

Are you saying that anyone who has 2 beers and drives home, in a safe, controlled and perfectly correct manor is a lunatic?

People who drive aggressively, too fast, don't/cant think ahead, run red lights etc etc. That is who I would call lunatics with our without a drink inside them.

And it is they that are the danger on the roads. Not the normal proficient drivers who may have a BAC's of 0.02/0.04 or whatever.

Edited by kevkev1888

Are you saying that anyone who has 2 beers and drives home, in a safe, controlled and perfectly correct manor is a lunatic? Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying.

What about his reflexes in an emergency? A lot of drivers have taken the attitude, "I've only had a couple of pints, I'm safe to drive".

and innocent people have died because of it.

I think anyone who drinks alcohol, no matter how 'small an amount' and then think they can control a large lump of metal capable of causing death completely unaffected is seriously deluded or dangerously unaware of how even a small amount of alcohol can affect one's motor skills.

While 'lunatic' possibly isn't the mot juste, selfish 'idiot' (I'd go a bit stronger than that but that would be against forum rules) is far better.

I hope they nab them all this festive season or make their families walk the pavements and streets this festive season at the mercy of other such selfish idiots who can seemingly 'afford' a vehicle, a few beers but somehow can't afford the 100 or so baht for a moto taxi home???? Are things that tight for the Pattaya Pensioners club this year that they think it's OK to risk their lives and the lives of innocent people to save a few baht?

Sad...'Tee Rak' must have been making bigger demands this year.....

Edited by Youaredoomed

Are you saying that anyone who has 2 beers and drives home, in a safe, controlled and perfectly correct manor is a lunatic? Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying.

What about his reflexes in an emergency? A lot of drivers have taken the attitude, "I've only had a couple of pints, I'm safe to drive".

Then we have a different point of view, c'est la vie.

If you want to talk reflexes I wonder how a 20 something with a BAC's of 0.02 - 0.04 would compare to a 65+ year old with no alcohol?

But I believe dangerous and reckless drivers have killed many more innocents. Policing these moving violations would be a much better idea than randomly testing an bringing heavy consequences to those who are making no driving violations. Whilst at the same time red light runners are going free and unchallenged.

If you want to talk reflexes I wonder how a 20 something with a BAC's of 0.02 - 0.04 would compare to a 65+ year old with no alcohol?

But I believe dangerous and reckless drivers have killed many more innocents. Policing these moving violations would be a much better idea than randomly testing an bringing heavy consequences to those who are making no driving violations. Whilst at the same time red light runners are going free and unchallenged.

There should be a zero toleration of drinking drivers, and forget about 0.02 or 0.04s different people and age groups have different speed of reflexs.

They should just ban all driving after consuming alcohol, if you want to drink, then don't drive, simples. Those that do. confiscate their vehicles, and ban them for life. Think of all the innocent lives saved then.

There should be a zero toleration of drinking drivers, and forget about 0.02 or 0.04s different people and age groups have different speed of reflexs.

They should just ban all driving after consuming alcohol, if you want to drink, then don't drive, simples. Those that do. confiscate their vehicles, and ban them for life. Think of all the innocent lives saved then.

What about his reflexes in an emergency? Different people and age groups have different speed of reflexs.

So what's the big hots for a zero alcohol limit?

There are some really boring do gooders on this forum that have been completely brainwashed.

I am sure I'd still be a better driver than most people on the road even after two beers.

This is a very common mistaken assumption.

What about all those lunatics driving around with kids in the car.

I think we can all agree that screaming kids can be a distraction!

How dare you endanger my life in this way. Jail time, confiscate their cars and castration I say!

Edited by kevkev1888

There are some really boring do gooders on this forum that have been completely brainwashed.

I am sure I'd still be a better driver than most people on the road even after two beers.

This is a very common mistaken assumption.

I'd trust my safety more with the average Western driver from a left driving country after a couple of beers than the average Somchai with no drink inside them.