Minimum Age Raised To 25 For Buyers Of Booze

george

I fully understand why it's been done..

The fact is though that no one will bother enforcing this law outside of the large cities and tourist areas probably, if it is enforced at all...

The problem is that the younger tourist from overseas go on holiday and like to have a party, and it's these younger adults that will return to Thailand year after year, eventually with their family, spending all their hard earned money.

The thought of a 24 year old adult from USA/Europe/Aus etc.. not being able to buy alcohol is ridiculous... and ridiculous enough for these adults to find somewhere else to go.

totster :D

Of course we are all entitled to our opinions but................................................

If you understand it then why not accept that it is put in place to hopefully benefit THAIS and their young.

After all this is Thailand is it not. :o

In your country it maybe that it is ridiculous but in the U.K. even 24-25 year olds are becoming A. dependant and many by the way do not act / behave like 24-25 year olds especially after drinking.

marshbags :D:D

P.S.

When i witness many of these acting like Adults and not spoiling it for those that are i may re adjust my way of thinking and be more comfortable with them not being penalised in the sake of health issues and others important behavioural problems.

This is a world wide problem and involves all of us and our young Adults, be they at home or on holiday so i have to see things different to your observations.

so .. you think raising the age limit that people can buy alcohol will solve the problem of alcohol abuse..

Well, thats very naive.. what it does in fact do is push the young adults into underground drinking dens, or onto the streets in groups, rather than keeping them in licensed areas where they can be relatively safe and easy (easier) to control.

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The youth don't need "saving", they need only educating. Instill a few ethics; principles; and teach them how to think for themselves, for a change.

Raising the price of buying alcohol to 25yo is utterly ridiculous. Stupid, typical "top-down" authoritarian approach to everything.

Labour isn't cheap here anymore, if this country wants to start being competitive; productive; and stop being a dysfunctional laughing stock, then its about time the education system in this country was dragged out of the prehistoric tar pit it blundered into ages ago.

Spot on - treat people like kids and they will behave like kids. Treat people like responsible adults and they will behave like responsible adults

Good posts. :o

so .. you think raising the age limit that people can buy alcohol will solve the problem of alcohol abuse..

Well, thats very naive.. what it does in fact do is push the young adults into underground drinking dens, or onto the streets in groups, rather than keeping them in licensed areas where they can be relatively safe and easy (easier) to control.

Some excellent points have been made in the posts above. :D

It's just a pity that the people in power that introduce these laws don't appear to have any sense of intelligence :D:D

Wonder what the entertainment industry thinks of this. This would kill RCA, Ratchada soi 4 and the likes. And where to go and find the nice little uni girls that love to party on a bottle of Johnny?

As usual, wider implications are given scant thought. Wonder how many livelihoods will be affected in the much-maligned but still enormous entertainment industry?

I'd rather have them serving drinks somewhere than breaking into my house, thanks. :o

Gosh why stop at 25? Why not just raise the minimum age for booze buyers to 50? :o

The success of a government is measured by the number of laws it can pass. This way they have room to gradually make more laws. :D

Every bottle of beer produced in Thailand has a label on the back stating the law that it cannot be purchased by anyone under the age of 18. As this law is rarely imposed by the vendor. Why do you think thst the new law re. 25 years will be successful? The laws to prevent underage drinking are already in place. Usually ignored by even the police. So more won't make scap of difference only piss off the tourists.

I fully understand why it's been done..

The fact is though that no one will bother enforcing this law outside of the large cities and tourist areas probably, if it is enforced at all...

The problem is that the younger tourist from overseas go on holiday and like to have a party, and it's these younger adults that will return to Thailand year after year, eventually with their family, spending all their hard earned money.

The thought of a 24 year old adult from USA/Europe/Aus etc.. not being able to buy alcohol is ridiculous... and ridiculous enough for these adults to find somewhere else to go.

==================================================================

Totster: you took the words right out of my mouth.

The other element, which everyone seems to overlook here, is that NOT everybody (regardless of age !) consumes alcoholic beverages for the purpose of getting "blotto" (= "pissed-drunk"). All you have to do, is go look around France, where, traditionally, children at the dinner-table get a small glass of "Vin-D'Endroit" (=inexpensive, but excellent "Wine-Of-The-Region") with each and every evening meal. In other words, these kids grow-up without the burden of having to "sneak" alcohol.

Incidentally (and I am definately not a 'Fan-of-France', but France IS the #1 country in the world, with the least occurance of heart-related medical problems.

Now: by law, a person becomes an "adult" when he/she reaches the age of "consent" which is 18. This is also the age, where -in case of armed conflict- young people are drafted into the man's armies . . . . . So; here it is: you are allowed to die for your country, but you're not allowd to have a beer ? ? ? ?

Absurd law; instead, my advice would be to "educate" the children of this nation - and while they're at it, include things like Traffic-Rules - Littering !

Bon voyage,

:o

Jaap

(Dutch)

The youth don't need "saving", they need only educating. Instill a few ethics; principles; and teach them how to think for themselves, for a change.

Raising the price of buying alcohol to 25yo is utterly ridiculous. Stupid, typical "top-down" authoritarian approach to everything.

Labour isn't cheap here anymore, if this country wants to start being competitive; productive; and stop being a dysfunctional laughing stock, then its about time the education system in this country was dragged out of the prehistoric tar pit it blundered into ages ago.

Yes, kmart's observations are spot on.

And yes ... dumb kids grow up to become dumb politicians.

But a more important question ... Does this mean all the bar girls now need to be over 25.

Scary thought. :o

Naka.

Edited by naka

I wonder if they'll enforce this law where there is money and rich partiers. Don't know why I think this, but I do.

Too bad Thailand is going down the west's Victorian garden path. Repression just squeezes out somewhere else, and usually more twisted.

As we do know Thailand, I bet that it will not affect the farang under 25 that are here on holiday. I think this is mainly aimed at the Thai youth which is the largest group that gets killed or maimed when drinking. As most farangs don't owned cars, they probably will not be looking at the younger farangs but that is only a guess. TIT can override any common sense.

Probably WILL save quite a few young souls from the road to alcoholism on one hand. But will lead to more corruption with illegal distribution to underage paying bribe money. Round and round we go.

At least there wont be a voter backlash in the near future :o

TIT. Their country, not mine. Up to them.

from todays news in the uk , where they have similar problems.

this is the latest government initiative aimed at young drunks.

will this scheme work any better than the thai one ?

TV ad aims to stop young drinkers

"Alcohol makes you feel invincible when you are most vulnerable" warns the campaign

Hard-hitting TV adverts showing the dangers people face from drinking to excess are to be screened in the UK.

The £4 million government campaign aims to stop binge and underage drinking.

Younger people are likely to drink heavily - 48% of men and 39% of women aged 16 to 24 drink above daily recommendations, official figures show.

Alcohol alters judgement and perception and can lead people to take risks with their health and safety that they would not normally consider.

Drink dangers

Research shows 80% of pedestrian deaths on Friday and Saturday nights are alcohol related, as are nearly three quarters of peak time accident and emergency admissions.

In England alone it is estimated that 5.9 million people drink to get drunk.

Public Health Minister Caroline Flint said the campaign was targeting men and women aged 18 to 24 as a priority because they are the most likely to drink irresponsibly.

This is about encouraging young people to still have a good time but to know their limits

Public Health Minister Caroline Flint

But it is also designed to appeal to younger adolescents who may already be drinking illegally, as research suggests.

The TV advert includes a series of different scenarios where young people, thinking they are 'superheroes' while drunk, take risks with their health and safety, such as falling off high scaffolding or running into a busy road, and coming to serious harm.

Ms Flint said: "We are not trying to demonise alcohol or stop people enjoying themselves.

"This is about encouraging young people to still have a good time but to know their limits, and to take responsibility for how much they drink."

More work needed

Srabani Sen of Alcohol Concern said: "We're delighted to see the launch of this campaign.

"It marks an important starting point in changing young people's attitudes to binge drinking, but there's still a great deal more to do if we're to change the way young people in this country think about their relationship with alcohol."

Lesley King-Lewis of Action on Addiction agreed, saying: "We are asking the government to look at the effectiveness of warning labels on bottles, to implement a tax based on the percentage of alcohol in a drink and to provide long term funding for an alcohol worker in every hospital."

David Poley, chief executive of the Portman Group said: "Drinks companies have no wish to see their products misused by binge drinking young adults.

"We warmly welcome this government campaign which complements the educational work already carried out by the industry."

The Know Your Limits campaign, jointly run by the Department of Health and the Home Office, starts on 16 October with the TV ad.

Advertising will be spread across cinema, radio, magazines and online throughout November.

Home Office Minister Vernon Coaker said: "The government is dedicated to reduce alcohol related harm and will continue to work with the police to clamp down on irresponsible drinkers and retailers while strengthening our partnerships with the alcohol industry to entrench responsible alcohol sales."

bbc news ..... 14 october 2006.

I just want to know how this is going to be enforced in a country where 12yr olds drive motorcycles to school?

Hehehe I did think about the 12 year olds driving motorcycles to school, at least they cant do it drunk!

Looks like its a big nail in the coffin of RCA as well, is all this anti alcohol related tinkering anything to do with someone in the new government, not being too keen on a particular group of people who own all of the booze companies... also linked to the last government?

Don't forget your passport if you're a bit over 25 ore you look a bit younger than, if you want to buy alc! :D

Thank you for raising that point. I must remember to carry my passport from now on. :o

Why's that.. did they raise the age limit to 65yrs ?? :D

Gosh why stop at 25? Why not just raise the minimum age for booze buyers to 50? :o

The success of a government is measured by the number of laws it can pass. This way they have room to gradually make more laws. :D

Every bottle of beer produced in Thailand has a label on the back stating the law that it cannot be purchased by anyone under the age of 18. As this law is rarely imposed by the vendor. Why do you think thst the new law re. 25 years will be successful? The laws to prevent underage drinking are already in place. Usually ignored by even the police. So more won't make scap of difference only piss off the tourists.

This is actually quit good for the police department. Many more people to pay for thier kids education. :D With money left over for fun. This is not how you save your youth. Stupid laws always have a way of being selectively enforced. That deprives people of confidence in a system that badly needs a little. Besides, the arguement that people under 25 acting stupid is only partially valid. Just a thought but I would guess that there are already laws for something along the lines of drunk and disorderly. I am no expert on Thai law but since this one already exists it seems like the right thing to do is punish those that break the law. Not create more law breakers. What do I know though? Sometimes not much.

The authorities might not worry about the farang.The average 18 year old farang looks 25 to a Thai anyway so maybe it's too early to panic. Whether the law is actually enforced is another thing. The minimum age of Thai bar workers might indeed be raised to 25. Back in 1976 at age 22 I spent a few months with a thirty year old woman up Sukhumwit in her house on the edge of a ricefield. I had no complaints. My wife is 78.

This law hasn't been enacted yet and the booze sellers are vowing to fight the ban of ads. What will they do when they see this? Of course everyone will drink moonshine lao whiskey and go blind. The US prohibition was a complete failure. Both for booze and drugs.

.......and what about the epidemic of glue sniffers?......let's lock up the glue!

This would work. No glue.... no glue to sniff....but I posit that this may damage the shoe industry....which apparently has a much stronger lobby than the beverage makers.. :D ..therefore glue is still available and dam# the consequences. :o

Thats Thailand out as a holiday destination to all farangs (and other non thais) under 25.. many of them have a good disposable income too.. shocking

totster.........................................................................

..............................................part quote finished

This bill was introduced to stop alcohol abuse among the Thai youth and only after a network of parents voiced their concerns about it at a public hearing / meeting.

As the age old observation goes " This Is Thailand " and in this case i think it is very relevant to Thai culture and the deterioration of the slippery slope that drinking is taking it,s young down.

Perhaps we should all recognise this and not start getting off track and undermining this positive action which makes lots of sense from what i,ve / we,ve witnessed in recent times.

After all in many western countries have introduced several measure along these lines to try and stop the a.abuse they have, the U.K. has for one where there is a very big problem relating to this very important health issue.

Well done to you all in my humble opinion and hopefuly it will have the positive results it deserves.

marshbags :o

What a boring old fart !!!

This law hasn't been enacted yet and the booze sellers are vowing to fight the ban of ads. What will they do when they see this? Of course everyone will drink moonshine lao whiskey and go blind. The US prohibition was a complete failure. Both for booze and drugs.

True .....but it wasn't all bad......it was great for organized crime. :o

Well said, what they need to do is encourage people to drink decent alcohol instead of lao cao because decent alcohol is less destructive to the body and in my opinion less addictive.

Right.. so..

Thats Thailand out as a holiday destination to all farangs (and other non thais) under 25.. many of them have a good disposable income too.. shocking :o

Is the tuk Tuk brake wheely real and if so who did it and where ?

As for the booze question this is prohabition all over again !

Minimum age raised to 25 for buyers of booze

BANGKOK: -- Health authorities have stepped up measures to curb alcohol consumption among youth by moving up the minimum legal age of buyers from 18 to 25 years. Narong Sahamethapat, deputy chief of the Disease Control Department, said yesterday that the idea was proposed by a network of parents early this year during a public hearing of a draft bill to control alcoholic drinks.

The measure to raise the legal minimum age of buyers is part of a national campaign to save Thai youth from alcohol abuse, he said, adding that it has already been incorporated into Article 28 of the draft.

Under the bill, the following areas will be designated as alcohol-free zones [more...]

--Bangkok Post 2006-10-14

Why not just ban it like drugs? Death penalty or life sentence for possession.

I would imagine because their goal is not to kill their children. There is also the fact that alcoholism is a disease and killing people, or putting them in prison for life for a disease might be veiwed by most everybody as taking it a little to far. :o

"Under the bill, the following areas will be designated as alcohol-free zones _ temples, state offices, schools, universities and other places of education"

That's the last time I go to a funeral of someone I don't even know just to please the wife. A Thai funeral in a temple with those crappy old PA systems blasting stuff out at 20 times the legal capacity of the PA (and a farrangs ears) WITHOUT ANY BEER.......... hel_l on earth.