American man, 54, dies from head injuries after post-midnight motorbike fall south of Patong

webfact

American man, 54, dies from head injuries after post-midnight motorbike fall south of Patong
Eakkapop Thongtub

1451215301_1.jpg

PHUKET: A 54-year-old American man was pronounced dead at hospital after he sustained head injuries from a motorbike fall early this morning near Karon Noi Beach, just south of Patong.

The death of Mr Jeffery Earl Patterson was confirmed by a report issued by Vachira Phuket Hospital, citing severe “head injury” and “vehicle accident” as the causes of death, logged at 4:45am [or 4:47, illegible handwriting].

According to another report from the Phuket Tourist Police, the accident occurred 45 minutes past midnight, at curve on the coastal road near a popular hotel (next to Karon Noi Beach).

The only vehicle reported to be involved in the accident was a red Honda Click.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/american-man-54-dies-from-head-injuries-after-post-midnight-motorbike-fall-south-of-patong-55585.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-12-28

My guess is no helmet or at least not a quality one.

As one whose life was likely saved by wearing a helmet in a slow speed accident that flipped me right off the bike I now CRINGE everytime I see people riding around with no helmet. I guess some figure that an accident will never happen to them or if it does they will somehow avoid banging their head or perhaps they just don't care if they end up dead or in a coma for decades for someone else to have to look after them.

PLEASE wear a real HELMET every single time you get on a bike......When, NOT IF, your accident occurs it doesn't come with a five minute warning.

Thai crash helmets are useless. Mine fell on the floor from my desk and practically split in half. If you value your life, buy an imported one, even if you pay 2,000 Baht instaed of 199 Baht. It may save you your life one day

Do you really have to post his full ID? No respect for privacy, nor the departed or the family. Sheesh!

Agree, absolutely unnecessary.

Only gives his name and age (DOB) and some physical details (eye colour and height). Name and age would typically be reported in the media. I don't see how leaving in the eye colour and height is a violation of privacy. The rest has been blanked out.

Do you really have to post his full ID? No respect for privacy, nor the departed or the family. Sheesh!

Agree, absolutely unnecessary.

Only gives his name and age (DOB) and some physical details (eye colour and height). Name and age would typically be reported in the media. I don't see how leaving in the eye colour and height is a violation of privacy. The rest has been blanked out.

I thought it was after notifying next of kin

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

...............'....the only vehicle reported.....'......

......reported by whom.......???

.....another 'open and shut case'......'nobody to blame but himself'......so no investigation in the least.....

....who the !@#$%^&* said so......

Thai crash helmets are useless. Mine fell on the floor from my desk and practically split in half. If you value your life, buy an imported one, even if you pay 2,000 Baht instaed of 199 Baht. It may save you your life one day

I had a DOT and SNELL rated helmet send over from the US on Amazon. Total cost was under 200USD including shipping. Worth every penny!

The safest helmet is the one you ware. That said most helmets worn in Thailand are ineffective.

Contrary to popular belief it is not the hard shell on the outside that makes the helmet safe but

the Styrofoam which compresses on impact. The hard shell is to protect the Styrofoam which

protects the brain by compressing on impact, reducing the g forces on the brain by spreading

the impact time by milliseconds. Proper fit spreads out the impact area like a catchers glove

while the foam lining decreases the g force. This is the reason why helmets are good for

only one impact. Once the foam has been compressed (even a little) it is no longer safe.

Cycling helmets make quite a good choice for use in town. There manufactures have spent

the money and research on there safety. Professional cyclists some making millions of dollars

put there trust in them. The speed of cyclists is very comparable to scooter use in cities.

They are comfortable and cool when being worn, and at about 1000 baht are not expensive.

Many who read this will laugh, but those are the facts. No helmet will save you from all injuries.

Defensive patient driving is the first and most important thing to remember. A helmet is just

another layer of protection. RIP I am sure you will be missed by family and friends.

Edited by Ulic

I'm so sorry to hear of tourists and expats, as well as Thai nationals, getting killed and injured on the roads of Thailand.

I wish, for their own sake, tourists and also expats would wise up about riding motorcycles. It is nothing short of stupid to be driving or riding them thinking that it isn't intrinsically dangerous, with Thailand having one of the highest (if not THE highest) fatality rates in the world. I see so many farangs driving motorcycles with no helmet... do they think they are supermen or something? I have compassion for those getting injured and killed, yes. AND it would be great it we warn friends of the dangers of renting cycles, driving them without some kind of training and without proper safety equipment.

In hope of a more heedful and safety-conscious community, farangs and Thai alike....

may all beings be safe