No review of Koh Tao case, says Prawit

webfact

No review of Koh Tao case, says Prawit

1112-wpcf_728x409.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Thailand won't review the Koh Tao murder case as it has passed the investigation process and now entered the judicial procedures.

This was made clear by deputy prime minister in charge of national security Gen Prawit Wongsuwan on Monday.

Gen Prawit’s remark came after reporters asked his comment about Myanmar’s head of the influential military Gen Min Aung Hlaing’s request for Thailand for a “review of the evidence” against the two workers.

Gen Prawit considered the request not an intervention of Thailand’s internal affairs, but merely a disagreement of opinion possibly from different information and facts.

He said under Thailand’s judicial process, there are still the Appeals and the Supreme Court to appeal to and the petition to the King.

So it was not necessary to review the case as it has already passed that investigation process, he said.

He also believed the recent protests have hidden agenda and might have backed from those who were against and had ill intentions towards the government.

He said he has ordered intelligence officials to find out these groups of people and brought them out for trials

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/no-review-of-koh-tao-case-says-prawit

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-12-28

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is any protest going to be labelled this was now? Trying to blame it on a hidden agenda is pretty far fetched considering the trial was so well publicized with all those discrepancies that were never accounted for. Pretty much all of Thailand believes them to be innocent scapegoats. I imagine most of the world is viewing this similarly in retrospect. Scapegoats or not the trial

Ial

'He said he has ordered intelligence officials to find out these groups of people and brought them out for trials'

Yes that makes perfect sense in Thailand, if there are questions and concerns don't bother investigating them instead arrest the people asking the questions, perfect sense as there is much less chance of loss of face and denial and burying your head in the sand appears to be a national pastime here....

That stone cold face of Prawit, and the evil smile of the police officer behind him, speaks volumes...

More than slightly foreboding, no question about that. These protests are just the sort of thing that will cause Thai officialdom to dig their heels in, and end up producing the exact opposite of the desired result.

I learned long ago in dealing with Thai bureaucracy that direct confrontation never, ever works -- too much potential loss of face.

Polite acknowledgement of their awesome power and infinite wisdom, accompanied by a smile and a high wai is a good place to start, followed by an end run with a large envelope tucked discreetly under your jacket may achieve the desired result.

Edited by Jai Dee
jumbled quotes corrected

"Thailand won't review the Koh Tao murder case as it has passed the investigation process and now entered the judicial procedures."

That's the beauty of Thai processes and procedures. When they are always performed perfectly, exceeding the inferior standards of the rest of the universe, there is never a need for review.

Edited by jaltsc

That stone cold face of Prawit, and the evil smile of the police officer behind him, speaks volumes...

More than slightly foreboding, no question about that. These protests are just the sort of thing that will cause Thai officialdom to dig their heels in, and end up producing the exact opposite of the desired result.

I learned long ago in dealing with Thai bureaucracy that direct confrontation never, ever works -- too much potential loss of face.

Polite acknowledgement of their awesome power and infinite wisdom, accompanied by a smile and a high wai is a good place to start, followed by an end run with a large envelope tucked discreetly under your jacket may achieve the desired result.

although serious you made me laugh my ...LMAO at that

"Gen Prawit considered the request not an intervention of Thailand’s internal affairs, but merely a disagreement of opinion possibly from different information and facts."

Why do they harp on about this thing about others having the wrong information on just about everything.

Like when they criticise the media for reporting misleading info and foreigners who have to be explained how it's different here, I yay yay!

BTW, different information and facts well a fact is in fact a fact isn't it?

Did anyone read about a press conference by a deputy RTP spokesman on Sunday, wherein the man seemed not to understand why just this case (only) was the source of protests... while there have been 126 (one hunderd twenty six) other murdercases where Burmese were 'involved'!?

It must be hard to understand for some that the Burmese (half?) slaves could be getting fed up being used as scapegoats! ...To protect Thai ...criminals?

>>He said he has ordered intelligence officials to find out these groups of people and brought them out for trials<< Quote

Stalin would be proud!!

No, he wouldn't have been, as he would have clearly know by it that Beria hadn't done his job well...

Wait, wait,wait....

He's no insinuating that these protests in BURMA are the work of the devil in Dubai when he says they have a 'hidden agenda' is he?

Unless he means it is the Burmese government doing it. I really hope he means the latter for my sanity's sake.

He also believed the recent protests have hidden agenda and might have backed from those who were against and had ill intentions towards the government.

I did not know, that there are some dark forces behind this Koh Tao murder Case, but when he says that, it must be true.

Edited by tomacht8

To show some compassion and acknowledgement to people's anger at the very dubious verdict, allowing the B2 to get release on bail (under house arrest) awaiting the appeal I feel would be better than having them shackled and manacled on death row for the likely multiple year appeal phase.

Just being stubborn and digging heels in will only make protests even more widespread and prolonged I suspect. This is not going to go away easily. I hope these guys get handsomely compensated when they're finally acquitted. Their treatment to this point has been hellish to put it mildly. I hope somebody somewhere steps in and does the right thing. And sooner rather than later

I just read the Bangkok Post. Oh my god, they are actually trying to pin outrage on a complete sham of a trial on their political enemies.

Absolutely disgusting.

Why the surprise?

These people in charge and a good percentage of the population prove time and again that they are totally without morals and completely incapable of or uninterested in telling right from wrong!!

Nothing is below them in their quest to keep their all important 'face' and whilst this is priority number one improving themselves, their people or their country is impossible...

I have had enough of the constant lies, cronyism and corruption so I am voting with my feet and getting my family out of this stye of a country before it all comes to a head....

Don't worry cheerleaders and junta lovers I wont let the door hit me on the way out....

This is rather interesting:

"He [Gen Prawit] said he has ordered intelligence officials to find out these groups of people and brought them out for trials."

1) Does Thailand expect to pull off some daring Mossad type raids into Myanmar (or now Sri Lanka) in the dead of night, abduct foreign nationals and then bring them back to Thailand to be tried?

2) Does that mean anyone inside or outside of Thailand that merely questions the evidence upon which the verdict is based (not the verdict itself) can be hunted down and brought to trial? Scary.

3) Finally, I want some of what these guys are smoking...minus the paranoia, delusion and aggession.