Looking for an interesting tea set

Laud

I'm looking to buy an interesting tea set at a reasonable price (so not those from the Chinese antique collectors where a teapot is 4500 Baht alone!) that isn't Siam Celadon.

I've not had any luck at the Night Bazaar and won't be here for the next Sunday market.

Any recommendations?

On a related note I popped into Thailand Post to look at shipping fees to the UK. 800 Baht for 1kg by ship seemed a lot more expensive than I'd been reading - is this the standard price now or should I wait until Bangkok to ship?

Many thanks!

Actually you can buy some wonderful celadon from a rather large ceramic wholesale place on the same road as Wat Phra sing.

If you walk out of wat prah sing....turn left.......it's on the opposite side of the road a fair way down towards the moat.

You can not miss it as there are large ceramic vases outside and stacks and stacks of pottery.

They really do have quality at a crazy price..........tea pots, cups, plates...with good design and choice of color in celadon blue or green.

Many have a lotus pattern....prices are crazy...about 30 to 50 baht a piece..........well worth a look, be nice stuff to have back home that's for sure...it's all coming from factories in lampang which is now the biggest producer of celadon glaze in the world.post-198167-0-13034300-1451313087_thumb.post-198167-0-13034300-1451313087_thumb.

Edited by namatjira

I quoted packet rate, but that probably won't qualify...they quoted you SAL parcel, which is 800 thb.....but it's only 550 thb for the US...looks like a bad thing to send. Scarves are good...light, and unbreakable, and get a green flag from customs. I sent my sis one that was about 2 meters long, 140 grams, and was about 70 thb. 800 will be cheap compare to DHL....but you can get a quote on shipping on any item at the Thai Post website...they actually call it Great Britain.

Well my friend I got limited edition cups and paper plates from Mcdonalds so make me an offer.

But it's our secret otherwise the whole of TVF will want the same.

I have a CIMB set of juice glasses that I will consider a trade, but only if it is Hello Kitty or Darlie....

Those are coffee cups...50 baht each....vase was 40 baht...they also have very fine tea cups, actually you can also buy there ceramics for marks and spencer and ikea that are all coming from the local factories ....excess stock I suppose....it's a huge store...if you like ceramics you will love it

There is a tea coffee café house next to the canal that crosses Tha Pae road kitty corner from where the AIS used to be located.

You might want to look in there.

They have a lovely garden for a snack or meal. I am not big on the food but I like the setting.

I believe it is called the Hamong house. It is a house that is over 100 years old.

There is a tea coffee café house next to the canal that crosses Tha Pae road kitty corner from where the AIS used to be located.

You might want to look in there.

They have a lovely garden for a snack or meal. I am not big on the food but I like the setting.

I believe it is called the Hamong house. It is a house that is over 100 years old.

Actually called Raming Tea House... they have beautiful tea sets in an upscale shop mostly celadon but I think others as well.

The places that sell stuff for 50 Baht that one member mentioned are selling 2nds or "B" and "C" grade merchandise that nobody will buy. Companies like IKEA and Marks and Spencer have buyers that inspect the goods and reject stuff that is not perfect, has chips in the paint, odd colors, etc. These places are all over the place. Right outside the back/side door to Big C (not the one in the underground parking lot 20 meters away) have everything - an amazing inventory. But these aren't the kind of things you would give someone as a gift or use to serve your dinner guests at home. For everyday knock around stuff they are fine.