Dvd / Software / Pc Games / Ps2 Etc

nephilim

Slightly OT, sorry, but I'm off on a Visa trip to Georgetown and have never been there so am wondering if there's anywhere good to go to find games and software (yeah I know, I can get it all in BKK.. I know, I know but...) I did like the chinese market in KL and wondered if there were anything similar in GT?

Cheers!

Neph

They've got copy software at the main mall in Georgetown/Penang. The mall is right by the Shangri La. I think the software shops are around the top floor. It's much cheaper there than in Bangkok. It came out to the equivalent of about 50 baht.

On a separate note, does anybody know why copies are now more expensive? They are uniformly about 130 baht per cd whereas before 100 was the standard rate. You can find 100 or 120 baht here and there but 130 is standard. To see just how sturdy these prices were, I tested the vendors. At two of the 130 baht places, I threatened to walk away unless I got 100 and after I left they didn't change their minds. There was even a place that stuck to 150 baht even when it was apparent I would walk away unless I got a discount.

Before it was just 100 baht everywhere, only about 3 months ago.

Any ideas why?

By the way, all accounts of buying cd copies are purely fictional.

• 2 weeks later...

DVD trading would be cool :o

I've been here a while now and have bought about 150 dvd (mostly 9s) and have been able to find most things I want "beyond top 10". I tend to favour the 4th floor in World Trade Centre - there's a very big stall, near the back which they call "IT Walk" (but there's nothing there). It's close to the Isetan end and next to a "legit" dvd shop.

I also like Fortune City as they tend to have a good selection as well.

Malaysia was no better than these places and, I found, a new scam: they

ll print the box as DVD9 but stick a DVD5 in there before handing over. Most places in Georgetown will tell you you'll get a DVD9 for 8RM which is very cheap. In reality, look for the 13RM dvds - they are 9s. The assistants also seem to want to push a new format called "DTS" which, of course, is not a format, but a sound type. They are just trying to pull the wool over susceptible tourists I guess.

PS2, PC and XBox stuff is all still far cheaper and more varied than BKK tho.

Yep go to the shopping mall in Georgtown, I found good

quality dvd's cheaper than Thailand and a vast selection of

software. I think my norton antivirus 2004 was 50 bht.

I've had trouble with this software though, the activation key (code)

that was supplied is ok for installation but when coming to activate

the product with their server it was not recgonised?? This only gives

me 15 days then they de-activate.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, folks,

Thanks for the suggestions for location to go searching (in Bangkok, I assume).

I'll keep them in mind as I get to know Bangkok better. I wish I could contact good suppliers by cell or email and work out ways to get things sent to me.

Please clarify what DVD9 and DVD5 is, as well as 13RM dvds. Never heard of these! DTS is great for sound, too bad they try to sell it as a new format. Maybe they reall do mean it is a good feature, which it is - when the DVD comes that way.

Of course your receiver has to be able to process this type of surround sound.

What we aliens need is a dependable way to send DVD's around this "small" country. We need to be able to trust each other and honor our commitments. If we can find a way to do that - deposit/insurance to cover lost and damage DVD's - that would help.

Although it costs money of the media, we can back them up first. I recently checked out the DVD backup software discussed in the Bangkok Post:

http://www.dvdshrink.org.

Edgy (legally) but a way to ensure content isn't lost.