I'm in Nam Phong,any one know of a local cable tv supply and fit guy

Khon Kaen Dave

Hi, just moved here from Pattaya with my wife,its her home town.We had a bar in pattaya but retired,got fed up with the bar scene.The house is quite new and its really very nice.I know that there's not a great ferang scene round this way,so the computer keeps me happy with contact with mates and the occasional film.I had the internet installed pdq.but now i need cable tv.I need to get a few American channels (i'm English) i dont expect the sort of channel choice that i had in Pattaya and the local shops were quoting me ridiculous prices.I know i have to pay for the dish..3,600 baht and the package the guy showed me contained HBO and other stuff,which was quite acceptable.The package was 2,000 something baht.Then he told me i would have to pay 2000 baht a month for the pleasure of watching the damn thing.This was without giving me price for the fitting of it.I thought this was running on a bit. He was quite put out when i told him in Isaan (yeah ive been over here a few year's) that he was a thief and i wasn't quite a stupid felang.

The point to all this is do any of you guy's who have been here a lot longer than me,know of a cable,supply and fit who is quite reasonable,in my area.

Any advice and info would be appreciated,thanks in advance.

DDK.

Hi lostinisaaan,yes,i'm afraid so,i get a bit p....d off when they see a felang and automatically think we are all stupid.they talk to you with a stupid grin on their face. i hate that 'you are here for us to rip you off'attitude.My wife was just as p....d off as i was.but being Thai she kept quiet as if she accepted it.When we had the bar we used to get guy's all the time complaining of the dual pricing system.I'm from the East end of London and i'm sorry,but its in my make up.I very rarely get like it.in fact,being married to a Thai has taught me a great deal of patience,but this guy was something else.

it couldn't be helped.

DDK

Hi Ubonjoe,I've followed your blog's on a regular basis,and,sure enough,you know your stuff.

you mention a satellite dish.thats what the guy was talking about.In the bar we had T.S.N,which was 5000 every 6 month's.I dont mind paying for the dish and the package but i thought that 2000 a month to watch it was a bit steep,and that was True Vision.

Hi Ubonjoe,I've followed your blog's on a regular basis,and,sure enough,you know your stuff.

you mention a satellite dish.thats what the guy was talking about.In the bar we had T.S.N,which was 5000 every 6 month's.I dont mind paying for the dish and the package but i thought that 2000 a month to watch it was a bit steep,and that was True Vision.

With true visions the monthly cost depends on the package you get. The guy was apparently quoting you the platinum package. I have the gold package (1568 baht) with cable now since they brought it in to the village. Had a dish for over 3 years.

Info here: http://truevisionsgroup.truecorp.co.th/packages

not what you asked for, but if you have a good internet connection maybe try www.thaiexpat.tv it has most of the UK TV channels

Even with a slightly dodgy connection it has a great feature to buffer. e.g. watching something live you can delay it by a minute or so, then it doesn't keep freezing. yeah, i know it is not technically live then! can also watch shows from up to 7 days before.

i've only used the computer based version (a couple of years ago now), but a mate still has the set top box and is happy with it.

Thanks everybody for your help.I do appreciate the time and trouble taken.I've since been talking to a neighbour,who has an installer that carries out work in these here part's on a installation + a package for a one off payment.I'll give that a little look first and see whats occurring there.But the computer thing sounds good so i will give that a try too.When we went back to Pattaya last month to see a hospitalized mate.the hotel TV was showing 'The Grimm' my sort of programme,love it.And also caught some of 'The Chase' i'd like to catch them here.But one can dream.

Thanks again.

KKD

I live the other side of kk from you about 22ks out of town, I have 3bb internet 600 bahtva month, I have a MINIX neo x8 android box, in xmbc I have downloaded ilikeHDtv from Google play, it is excellent many package to suit your need you can pay by the day if you want, I have the UK plus sport package and have the football movies series ect all for 450bt a month, rarely drops out, but make sure you get a tip end box like the MINIX.

In khonkaen we have around a dozen bars and a good expat community.

'Nev'

Thanks for the info,Nev.I just didn't see the justification of after paying for all the kit,why i should pay another 2000 for watching it.I guess he was thinking of his grand kid's birthday's coming up and how he was going to pay for it.When i walked in,he must have thought his problem was over.Btw,it's good to know that there are some ferang bar's around.I have heard that the street where the Pullman hotel is where the bar's are.My wife is pretty good about me having places to go where i can hear my own language spoken. And being a past bar owner for some year's it would be nice to get back into the scene from the other side of the bar.

Thank's again,i will look out for you one evening ha!

yeah,saw the movie,Carey was a really scary guy in it.Ive always seen him as a bit of an over actor.The best thing i think he did was a movie where he was washed down stream in a river after an auto accident.He wakes up in an out of time town.I cant remember what it was called,was it the name of a movie theatre,like the splendid or something?

GMM are cheaper than True Visions with better content.

I agree with the price bit but content being better is a little dubious with the exception of the Premier League football which GMM won't be carrying next season as CTH a now GMM subsidiary have lost the rights.

I have a sneaky feeling that True will be showing it again via BeIN although they will need to add a few extra channels.