Monk flips off man who refuses to make donation to Buddhism

webfact

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The problem is that there are many times people dressed as monks or monks from somewhere far far away coming to beg for money. We had a bunch of monks that came from Bangkok to beg for money... I stay in Sukothai 4-500 km from Bangkok.

I can give money but I only give to a temple that is nearby or that I visit frequently.

I always say ' i gave last year' it's priceless, it leaves them open mouthed.

Fundamentally, I don't see much wrong with Buddhism.

What I do see is wrong is the Thai mis-application of Buddhism.

It is hard to escape the accusation of "They are just men in saffron robes" when Thais can go and be a monk for a month - and then revert to self after leaving the wat. Very often the reasons for becoming a monk are flawed and done under family pressure.

And atone for sins in the hope that once more MONEY will flow into their pockets. It's the same with "making merit," when people give boatloads of money to temples. They are doing it in hope of getting something in return, which is so NOT buddhist.

Genuine and sincere monks do not as a rule walk around asking for money.

As another poster has said they can become a monk for a month, usually a ' get out of jail free card ' after committing some heinous crime.

I have only ever been approached in Thailand once by monks for money around 5.30am when I was buying some early morning BBQ, they were from outside the district and asked for 100 baht for food, which I gave.I was caught off guard by them asking. That's the only time in 20 plus years I have been asked.

I have been approached many times by scam monks in Siem Reap and Phnom Penn but I was told by the local Cambodians that those guys were neither monks nor Cambodian, they were Chinese scam artists. When I asked why they were not arrested I ewas told they paid local law enforcement weekly.

Should have been easy to tell the Chinese apart from the Cambodians though. The Chinese have light skin (sometimes from far away I mistake chinese for westerners) while Cambodians have dark skin.

Anyway, just a tip. If you're not sure, just give them a "nihao" and you'll know they're fake once they respond.

One bad monk is news. Thousands of good monks is nothing.

That's right because because they are people who have taken on a higher calling and are fed and housed by the community in return for their trusted guidance and blessing. Consistently good behaviour is the most basic actions they should live by all the time. At least they're not those horrible and nasty kiddy-diddling Catholic priests.

Not to forget most if not all The Royal Thai Police are Buddhists too and look at the the way the carry on.

1 minute there waiing the next they are extorting money, accepting bribes, operating gambling dens, assisting powerful drug dealers,

lying in court, setting up scams against tourists etc

Under all circumstances, Money is number 1 in Thailand.

The teachings seem innocent and basically good. When humans organize these beliefs and teachings, the frailties and corruption of humankind are often incorporated as well.

Charlatans, are to be found everywhere that I have traveled. In some places, they are protected, integrated and organized to squeeze the uneducated, superstitious and desperate masses into some sort of idol worship. Whether this is the case here, I don't know. I prefer to leave it to those those that practice those beliefs, .to decide for themselves.

Pax.

Welcome to yet another episode of "Discover Thainess!" :)

Let's hope there will be a public defrocking ceremony be held in public where anyone is allowed to spit on that rotten apple...[/

quote]

I read the other book containing episodes of "Discover Westerners", where Christian representatives of both the Church of Rome, and the Church of England, etc, systematically raped minors, and they were not subject to a public defrocking and spat on. No they were allowed to, still are, continue their peodophile behaviour under the protection of their most senior representives.

In all walks of life there are good and bad people, let's hope the bad are very much in the minority.

(Quote: "will be public defrocking ceremony be held in public". Can you have any public ceremony held in private. Or visa versa ?)

Fundamentally, I don't see much wrong with Buddhism.

What I do see is wrong is the Thai mis-application of Buddhism.

It is hard to escape the accusation of "They are just men in saffron robes" when Thais can go and be a monk for a month - and then revert to self after leaving the wat. Very often the reasons for becoming a monk are flawed and done under family pressure.

Didn't realise you were a scholar of Buddhism Jip99.

I know very little about Buddhism, but find the whole concept of men in robes begging, instead of doing a decent days work unacceptable. Even worse are those that are monks for a few days or a couple of weeks, who do not want to be in the Wat yet pretend to all and sundry that they are holier than thou. !Let them all believe by all means, but don't expect the whole community to support them. and their work shy lifestyle.

Sorry, too busy right now.

But If you have a point to make about my expected conduct of Buddhist monks in general, just make it and I'll look back later to reply.

The villager cancelled there march and now a Monk in his royal garbs gives the F finger because of no donation in his basket. Is this is what Buddhism and the drugged up monks are trying to take this religion down?>

Genuine and sincere monks do not as a rule walk around asking for money.

As another poster has said they can become a monk for a month, usually a ' get out of jail free card ' after committing some heinous crime.

I have only ever been approached in Thailand once by monks for money around 5.30am when I was buying some early morning BBQ, they were from outside the district and asked for 100 baht for food, which I gave.I was caught off guard by them asking. That's the only time in 20 plus years I have been asked.

I have been approached many times by scam monks in Siem Reap and Phnom Penn but I was told by the local Cambodians that those guys were neither monks nor Cambodian, they were Chinese scam artists. When I asked why they were not arrested I ewas told they paid local law enforcement weekly.

It does not belong here, but may I remind the interested readership, that a person, who was mentioned in connection with a double murder lately, went into monkhood. His Name was Nomsod.

Real monks are not allowed to ask for anything, let alone money... I reckon these were fake monks.

Or the unfortunate growing trends of some monks in city/tourist areas.More and more I`ve seen them collecting money by themselves,smoking cigarettes in plain view on the streets etc.

I seem to see more Monks in Big C these days then ever before, so i think their collections are going quite well.

There is a junior Monk in my wife's family and he is constantly bringing money home to his Mother. His story is that the Temple gets more than it needs and the head man then shares out the rest among the Monks.

Archived