Three Pagodas Pass shut as Koh Tao verdict protest resumes this morning

webfact

Three Pagodas Pass shut as protest resumes this morning

381-wpcf_728x409.jpg

KANCHANABURI: -- Thai military and police today forbid Thai tourists to cross into Myanmar from the Three Pagodas Pass in Sangkhla Buri district of Kanchanaburi province for safety reason as protest of Thai court's ruling on Koh Tao case emerged at the Myanmar border for the third time in five days.

Residents of Myanmar’s Payathonzu border town gathered near the border pass started gathering this morning shouting for the review of the case.

It was their third protest rally in the past five days.

Thai authorities then shut the border pass and disallow Thai tourists to cross over for safety reason.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/three-pagodas-pass-shut-as-protest-resumes-this-morning

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-12-30

We should be hosting our own protests. This is not simply a Burmese issue. This is a humans right issue and we should not be standing for it.

B2 need to be set free and serious apologised to for the crap they have been put through.

The only protest I'd like to make is with the Burmese authorities for not allowing third country foreigners across that crossing. Why do Thais get to go and foreigners can't? Racist if you ask me.

The Burmese could earn a lot of money from western, Chinese, Korean and Japanese travellers if they finally opened up Three Pagodas as they have promised. This article is not news. Of course Three Pagodas is shut. It hasn't been open for us for years.

Of course I wouldn't want to go NOW but I mean in general, when things are back to normal.

Edited by Tomtomtom69

They should do it all crossings, although it is a bit of a double edged sword for the Burmese, many of them crossing into Thailand each day to conduct business and make a living.

I don't think so, the Burmese increasingly depend on cross-border trade and tourism especially at Mae Sot and Mae Sai. However, the majority of travellers that go beyond the border area are not Thais, but westerners and occasionally Asians from other countries like Japan. Thais are simply not interested in Myanmar. Most of them think it's poor, scary, dirty, whatever. In Myawady I've rarely ever seen Thais cross - 90% of crossings even on day passes are Myanmar citizens. Thais using visas are very rare, you might get one or two a day.

Anyway, there has been enough disruption at Mae Sot over the years. Folks on both sides of the border don't need more for such a ridiculous reason (although I don't object to their peaceful right to protest as long as it's not disruptive). However, I personally know a lot of foolks in Myawady, and whenever there's trouble they can't make a living. A good friend is a driver. He depends on tourists for his livelihood though he has a second job (he used to be with immigration at the bridge itself). However, few of his clients are Thai as he doesn't speak any Thai himself. A mutual friend though speaks Thai and depends heavily on Thais because he can't speak much English. So for him not to get any Thais would be very hard on him.

so Thais aren't allowed to leave their own country now?

soviet Russia. whats next, check point charlie?

What utter bullsh1t, they can leave whenever they like except to Burma at the moment due to a perceived security risk.

I don't agree with the restriction but your post is just stupid nonsense.

What utter bullsh1t, they can leave whenever they like except to Burma at the moment due to a perceived security risk.

thanks my friend. utter bullsh*t and stupid nonsense? feel better about yourself now? perhaps you should try to think before you insult people. it was a joke.

thanks my friend. utter bullsh*t and stupid nonsense? feel better about yourself now? perhaps you should try to think before you insult people. it was a joke.

As the late Bob Monkhouse said to his audience. They laughed when I said I was going to be a comedian. Well, they're not laughing now.