Trouble getting Thai Birth Certificate

Been chatting to a friend today and he was telling me he is having trouble getting his Thai Birth Certificate, he was born in the UK and has a British mother and a Thai father. His mother died a few years ago so he decided to move here to spend time with his Father. His local district office needs a Thai Birth Certificate issued from London but as his mother has died and Thai father can't travel to the UK seems it can't be done. Another friend suggested the Thai consulate in Bangkok but after speaking to them there not interested in helping. He has a uk birth certificate with his fathers name on it. Any help please.

Edited by bkkvictor

But he was not born in Thailand so won't have a "Thai Birth certificate", maybe what he really need's is a notarised/translated copy of the UK birth certificate or something.

Have you tried speaking to the Thai Embassy in London? They would deal with this all day long.

I don't think it was registered has the mother fell out with the father just before he was born. I understand the father is willing to help, his name is on the uk birth certificate and my friend has a copy of his fathers ID card and house book. The father did go to the district office before but no luck

I don't think it was registered has the mother fell out with the father just before he was born. I understand the father is willing to help, his name is on the uk birth certificate and my friend has a copy of his fathers ID card and house book. The father did go to the district office before but no luck

I think this will prove to be an extremely difficult task.

BTW there is no Thai Consulate in Bangkok .

I am no expert in these matters but it might assist if your friend sought help/advise from the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs which is based in Bangkok.

As others have said, as the friend was born in the UK the Thai embassy in the UK will be responsible for issuing the birth certificate. The Department of Consular Affairs in Thailand located on Chaeng Wattana Rd in Bangkok can liase and organise the paperwork.

There will be issues however if the parents weren't married at the time of birth. I believe, but I can't be certain, that DNA testing between the father and son will be needed to confirm the relationship.

I obtained a Thai birth certificate for my son born in NZ before he was a year old.

The thai embassy did this for us, the mother is Thai.

The thai embasstytold us when we obtained a thai passport for him as well from the Thai embassy in wellington that if the mother is not Thai then they require more proof of the father .

Maybe DNA certificate.

I don't know how old the boy is but it gets harder as you get older and I think it is cut off after 18 or 20 years of age.

You would have to apply to the Thai embassy in Britain for a birth certificate, you would have to take your Uk certificate and mother and fathers ID or any other paperwork they might ask for.

When you get certificate of birth from the Thai embassy in Britain you can apply for a passport, then you probably need a DNA certificate from father and all other papers they ask for.

They were quite helpful in NZ but you need to do this at the official thai embassy in Britain.

Edit: Regarding marriage I am not married to my partner it made no difference to the embassy as the Mothers name was on the certificate, they wont care about that but they probably will ask for DNA test certificate from the father.

Edited by ubonjoe
moved post done as a quote to make it an edit

Based in DNA reseach and the report one is able to apply to het the nationalist of the parents.

Police Hospital in Bangkok do the DNA test.

5000 Bath per person.

After one to two montjs report.

Go to lawyer spent some money and them to support your claim.

Prpbably a bit over done. Yoi necer know.

About 6 montjs tje yoi javecthe order to be registeren as decenemd of yoi father and have Thai citizinship.

All is straight forward.

Not forget to legalize your other nationality documents such as the foreign birth certificaten.

This worked with people I know

Good lick

Can you please explain the steps of applying by descent via the Thai consulate in the UK ?

It is by birth more so than decent for Thailand since he would be applying for a Thai birth certificate. Info on embassy website. http://www.thaiembassyuk.org.uk/?q=node/191

As I wrote before the birth certificate can be applied for here at the consular affairs department and they will send the application to London.

It seems that the OP's friend is only Thai so long as he has a foreign passport. (The foreign passport reportedly enables him to get extensions of stay in Thailand as a Thai citizen.) Both parents are required to attend the London embassy to register a birth, and I see no evidence that his mother's ashes would be acceptable.

Sources: Register a Birth (English) and Register a Birth (Thai).

The consular affairs department's website looks more hopeful, though they would appear to require his mother's passport. However, the site says that it can help if the parents and child have moved back to Thailand and are residing there permanently. Won't the OP's friend be a temporary resident?