BOT: Local economy slowly reviving in November

webfact

BOT: Local economy slowly reviving in November

BANGKOK, 31 December 2015, (NNT) - The Bank of Thailand (BOT) has reported that the local economy recovered slightly in November, weighed down by shrinking exports.

BOT Senior Director of Macroeconomic and Monetary Policy Department Roong Mallikamas pointed out several positive factors, including government spending on transportation and irrigation, as well as the auto excise tax hike due next year, causing auto sales to increase by 3.3%. In the tourism sector, November saw 2.5 million visitors, a 2.5% increase from last month and a 5.1% increase from the same period last year.

However, there were many negative factors, including shrinking exports, the ailing global and ASEAN economies, and low global oil prices. Ms. Roong claimed that these elements depressed export prices, causing industrial and private production to plummet. Inflation remained at minus 0.97%, which she blamed on low fuel prices.

Regarding the government's shopping tax break policy, Ms. Roong said the measure would likely have positive effects on domestic spending. She expects to deliver a comprehensive review of the campaign after its completion date on December 31.

The BOT projected 2.8% and 3.5% economic growth for this year and next year, respectively.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-12-31 footer_n.gif

The link which brings up this topic concerns the protection of curved toe geckos. How do these little reptiles contribute to the economy?

My cat will be devastated when I break the news that these geckos are to be protected........

Maybe the economy is being run by curved-toed gheckos. it wouldn't surprise me the way it's tanking.

The link which brings up this topic concerns the protection of curved toe geckos. How do these little reptiles contribute to the economy?

My cat will be devastated when I break the news that these geckos are to be protected........

Maybe the economy is being run by curved-toed gheckos. it wouldn't surprise me the way it's tanking.

oh dear - when some Chinese grandmother soon invents an ancient traditional Chinese remedy for flatulence which involves powdered curved toe gecko brain, then the Thai economy will be in serious trouble.

Edited by bangon04